Floyd Rose Problems

Marshalljl

• Members

Welcome to the forum!

Floyds are naturally a pain in the butt to restring and to do the initial tuning on. One of the easiest ways I have heard was the use of a pencil, or a paint stirrer, or anything that will fit, placed under the base of the Floyd while it's tuned. (Basically holding it into position.) Then restring, retune, and pull the pencil out. The retune.

Personally, I don't use that. It take about a half an hour to restring one of my Ibanez with a Floyd, and I consider it part of the "charm" of the guitar. You have a Floyd, you deal with the Floyd. smiley-happy

• Members

Floyds are NOT a pain if you know a few basic rules.

Don't do one string at a time. WHAT? Everyone says to do one at a time. Forget that noise, cuz it's a pain and my way of tuning a Floyd negates any benefit of doing one at a time.

So here you go...

1 - Remove all the old strings and install the new ones. Don't lock the nut yet.

2 - Adjust your fine tuners to be in the middle of their range.

3 - Loosen the claw in the back, allowing the bridge to angle up.

4 - Get yourself a stack of picks and put them between the trem block and the body. Adjust the stack until the bridge is properly level.

5 - You now have a very solid, fixed bridge. Tune it. Stretch the strings. Tune it again. Repeat until you're tired of tuning.

6 - Lock the nut down.

7 - Remove the picks from the back. This will make the bridge angle up sharply and destroy your tuning.

8 - Start tightening the claw and watch the tuner as your strings come back to perfect pitch.

That's it. Once your tuning returns, you'll find your level to be perfect. This process usually takes me about 15 minutes and it's dead perfect every single time. Once you learn this method, you'll also laugh heartily at people complaining about how difficult a Floyd is to work on.

• Members

I don't know how to disagree with Raven on loosening the trem claw without screaming mindlessly into the night!!!!!

NO, DO NOT DO THAT!

There is NO need to loosen the claw. Loosening the claw will, over time, loosen to screw holes, and one day, the screws will slip.

The picks, good idea, do it before detuning. Put the bridge in a fixed position using picks, pencils, whatever fits. everything else, fine, but leave the claw alone.

• Members
I don't know how to disagree with Raven on loosening the trem claw without screaming mindlessly into the night!!!!!

NO, DO NOT DO THAT!

There is NO need to loosen the claw. Loosening the claw will, over time, loosen to screw holes, and one day, the screws will slip.

The picks, good idea, do it before detuning. Put the bridge in a fixed position using picks, pencils, whatever fits. everything else, fine, but leave the claw alone.

No it won't. Been doing it that for 20 yrs.

• Members

1. Remove nut locks

2. Adjust all fine tuners to midpoint

3. Block the Floyd. Mine are all recessed, so i block at the block. Quarters or picks

4. Change the inner 4 strings.

5. Change the outer two

6. Tune using tuning keys. Check intonation, adjust accordingly, if needed, usually they do not.

7. If the picks or quarters used to block haven't slipped or fallen out, depress the bar.

8. adjust the float to level with the claw, checking tuning as I adjust. I usually hold the bar while tuning, and then adjust the claw to level.

9. done.

Archived