how do you put dimarzio pickups on a guitar like this?

mbengs1

• Members

It uses wood screws instead of machined nut and bolt threads.

They usually just drill the threads on the pickup ears out so they are just round holes or use thinner wood screws so the ears don't thread.

Then they usually use the kind of black foam mouse pads are made out of to push the pickup out of the cavity and the wood screws limit the height.

You could use springs with the wood screws like a Tele rhythm pickup uses too.

There can be a reason they chose the ring-less based on how deep the neck pocket is, neck angle and bridge height. The rings make the pickups sit at least 2 mm above the body and if the strings are too close the result is Strat-it is. The ring-less method is also a low budget mounting system because it cuts manufacturing costs.

I'm not a fan of having strings that close to the body to begin with and the pickup base isn't exactly pretty to look at with the hole around the pickups. The instrument looks unfinished and that hole invites dirt and dust to get in there and corrode the pickup base. Personally I think rings look classier myself but that's secondary to its playability.

Rings can have their issues too. They can be more microphonic and the threaded ears tend to be made out of a cheap steel that wears easily making the pickups tilt or become wobbly. I've had to drill out and solder nuts to those ears more then once when buying used pickups. With the wood screw mount you only have to worry about the threads in the wood giving you a problem.

• Members

I believe this "direct mounting" method of (as opposed to mounting the pickups screws on a pickup ring or pickguard) was started by Eddie Van Halen on his famous Frankestrat guitars. Supposedly it couples the body vibrations to the pickup(s) and therefore improves resonance or tone or something. My current main guitar, a S-U-B Axis, mounts the pickups this way. I've already had my bridge pickup come loose on one side, sort of annoying because wood screws aren't meant to "adjusted", if you screw the pickups down tight and then back the screws off to raise the pickup, the wood screws will be loose and eventually the pickup will start to work loose.

• Members
I believe this "direct mounting" method of (as opposed to mounting the pickups screws on a pickup ring or pickguard) was started by Eddie Van Halen on his famous Frankestrat guitars. Supposedly it couples the body vibrations to the pickup(s) and therefore improves resonance or tone or something. My current main guitar' date=' a S-U-B Axis, mounts the pickups this way. I've already had my bridge pickup come loose on one side, sort of annoying because wood screws aren't meant to "adjusted", if you screw the pickups down tight and then back the screws off to raise the pickup, the wood screws will be loose and eventually the pickup will start to work loose.[/quote']

They've been direct mounting pups since the beginning.

Check if there are springs or foam under your pups. There should be, and it will give you the ability for height adjustment.

Archived