Ok all, opinions needed and welcomed.

badpenguin

Ok all, opinions needed and welcomed.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Ok all, opinions needed and welcomed.

• Single volume and tone
    • Vol/Vol, Tone/Tone
    • Doesn't matter to me

• Members

Ok all. I recently decided to sell my 2013 Gibson ES139. Great playing guyitar, nice tones, wonderful playability, yaddah yaddah yaddah.... Reason is, I just like the Eastman I just got that much better. but here's my dilemma....

Me being me, I modified the ES139 electrically. It USED to have a single volume and tone, with a three way. Growing up Gibson, I believe that 2 humbuckers = 2 vol, 2 tones. So I added concentric pots to the ES139. So, I have the typical Gibson wiring scheme, with no added holes. So, if you were looking to buy this type of guitar, would you rather have the single vol/tone, or would you prefer the 2 vol, 2 tones?

• Members

Interesting question. First, I don't like to see anyone drilling any extra holes, but since I mostly play LP's and my L5 clone I have gotten used to the 2vol/2tone idea - I mostly play with the switch in the middle and I like to be able to control the blend. Therefore I totally approve of your mod and the way you did it.

So really, I agree with what the others have said - leave it as mod'ed, full disclosure to the would be buyer, all of the original parts if you still have them and a stock wiring diagram.

• Members

I never found much use for tone controls on a Humbucker pickup guitar. The pickups get too muddy when you use them. I do prefer independent volumes however. There are so many great tones you can dial up balancing the outputs of the two and you can set one lower for rhythm then switch over to the louder one for leads.

Also the ability to purchase good low cost pedals to do everything from changing tone/volume/drive levels etc have made the need for tweaking the instruments volume and tone less important when you can simply do it with your foot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived