are gibson les paul models associated with a certain decade?

mbengs1

• Members

I thought about my les paul custom and it seems it's a 70's guitar. a lot of 70's players used it in rock and metal. then the les paul studio came out in the 80's. the Les Paul Standard seems to be a 60's instrument while the Classic is a 90's guitar. maybe the Supreme is a 2000's guitar? Is this revelation true? hehe.

I thought about my les paul custom and it seems it's a 70's guitar. a lot of 70's players used it in rock and metal. then the les paul studio came out in the 80's. the Les Paul Standard seems to be a 60's instrument while the Classic is a 90's guitar. maybe the Supreme is a 2000's guitar? Is this revelation true? hehe.

The Les Paul was released in 1952 as a Goldtop finished model. The "Standard" was originally released in the late 1950s and ran from 1958-1960. The Les Paul Custom was introduced in the mid 1950s - around 1954-55 IIRC. All single cutaway Les Pauls were discontinued by the early 1960s (around 1960) - they were replaced by the SG. Les Pauls were re-introduced in 1968, and various models were brought back, and some new ones introduced, such as the Studio, which came out in the 1980s.

The Custom was brought back in 1968 and I believe it's been in Gibson's lineup in one form or another ever since. There are some 1970s era Customs, but they weren't the first Customs, nor were they the last.

The model more associated with the 1970s (at least in my mind) is the Les Paul Deluxe, which in its first run was made from 1968 until about 1984 or so. The Paul (a more stripped down, all walnut or all mahogany Les Paul) was also largely a 70s era guitar, and was made from about 1978 up until about 1982. While Gibson has made the Deluxe since then, I don't believe they've ever reissued The Paul or the Firebrand.

• Members
I think of the Les Paul as a guitar for the ages. It transcends all eras and genres of rock music.

If you think about it, it's done it all. Now Superstrats, Ibanez shredders and hockey stock headstock Kramers, that's a different story altogether.

That's a good point.

The Les Paul is also an excellent jazz guitar. It does indeed do it all and it can do it all at any volume without uncontrolable feedback - which I believe is one of the things Les was looking for in a guitar.

• Members

I don't think Les Paul had that much input to the guitar that bares his name.

It's kind of a Ted McCarty design. I know Les Paul hated the SG, and in 61 the new so called Les Paul, he didn't even want his name on it.

I like Les Paul's and SG's, and own one Les Paul Standard that's 35 years old,1 SG Standard that's even older and a SG Classic. I think the classic came out in the mid 2000's.

Gibson first attempt at a solid body guitar hit a home run with rockers, that picked them up for a song and dance at used guitar shops and pawn shops.

In 52, the street cost of a Les Paul was about 210 bucks, which was about the average monthly salary of a working guy.

Jeff Beck's Les Paul was repainted. Oxblood was not a color Gibson made back in the 50's. The the was thinned out too.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"e7b16d68169754d5e83e463c062abd33--guitar-hero-guitar-players.jpg","data-attachmentid":32120897}[/ATTACH]

Archived