NGD – My first Gibson Les Paul!

waltchwarzkopf

• Members

Hi guys,

I've been playing guitar for quite some time and usually look at the classifieds for used guitars and amps that may be good offers. Some of you may remember my previous posts, where I was debating within a new Epi for less than 500bucks or a new Gibson below one-grand, or if to buy a used Gibson in decent condition and at a good price. Well, it looks like I was able to accomplish all three. I found a Gibson at an Epi price and great condition; in fact, I think it may have only been played few times.

It is a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded with an emerald-gold top, so it’s unique; the color changes as you look at it from different angles. IT came with all the goodies that the brand new guitar comes with, plus a spare set of strings (it already had new strings), a Gibson “Guitar Care Pack” and the most valuable item any guitar player could have. I’m talking about something with supranatural power, that’s right, above supernatural, that is: The Pick of Destiny!

No more talking (or writing) and more pictures. For the full specs go here http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx#LPSTFOSECH1

Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for reading and for your advice,

Cheers,

Walter

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.

89539f04cbde9fb6952c67a0dd903b28.thumb.jpg.2c40662dc100c712c3fab187af1a05de.jpg

a446ef759073b9beaf39c1626c012920.thumb.jpg.28fa9e43c9852bd452c405a8547c176c.jpg

1f52f53a6bed9c0b327f70df85424d0a.thumb.jpg.75b79f6c07cf518bc7b095502c413788.jpg

01af0c7b27c71372cde91164dae44d02.thumb.jpg.0f8ce2e5998be54f2cd846efd747add8.jpg

• Members

Congrats on the new LP.

I have a 2017 Faded. How do you like the Burstbuckers?

What impressed me about my first LP how good the pick-ups sounded. I can almost dial up an acoustic flat-top sound on the thing. The cleans are pristine and the sustain is perfect. And the action is better than any acoustic I've played.

The next thing that impressed me was how heavy the guitar was. It's only 6 1/2 or 7 + pounds. But it's still too damned heavy IMO.

• Members

FIRST IMPRESSIONS - an update

Hi guys, just some comments and thoughts on the guitar.

When I bought the guitar I tested at the guy's house through a Hughes & Kettner head, a big 4x12 box, and a pedalboard. The guitar sounded good and more importat it FELT and PLAYED really good. I arrived home late that day, so I couldn't play it much.

I've tested it during this week through my one-and-only 15W Marshall amp, using the same settings as always. The amp has only one channel and I set it to crunch, I like to control the volume, gain and "cleanness" with the guitar controls. I have to say that I am AMAZED at how good this guitar is. I could just play powerchords on her all day long, it sounds REALLY good. The controls give a huge range of sounds, that is without touching anything on the amp. I get exactly the Led Zeppeling tones that I wanted from the bridge pickup, it does "woman tone" and the sustain and tone from the neck pickup are what I wanted when I play Guns 'n Roses. Rolling the volume to 8 gives very mild distorsion and going down to 7 gets me very clean sounds for picking and chords with minimal volume loss.

Quoting Greg from Wildwood Guitars: "A guitar has to (1) Play good, (2) Sound good and (3) Inspire you." This one does all three exceedingly well!

Additionally, a few comments regarding some other posts of mine, where I was torn between Epiphone and Gibson and different pickups. I now own a 2003 Epi Les Paul Custon, a 2006 Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top and this 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, and I can say (in my opinion and please don't start a war on this) that this specific Gibson is miles ahead the other two Epis. I can say that confidenty in my experience, same amp and settings and same player. The sound of the Burstbucker Pros is unveliebable and they are also Alnico V like the Epis I own. The controls are also more versatile, I can get clean sounds at vol.7, whith the Epis I need to go down to vol.3-4 to be clean and is with very low volume. I guess this things can be replaced. But the way the wood resonates and the neck feels is also superior. Not to mention the custom paint job that I got on this one!

Thanks again for your help on my other posts, now I can really understand what you were saying.

You guy's rock!

Cheers,

Walter

• Members

my epi lp custom is about the same age, around 2003 or 2004. it is nice and all, no complaints, but when i got my 1975 gibson lp custom, i recognized the small things in quality what the epi lacks compared to the gibson, sharp edges on the frets i haven't bother before, feel of the neck was much nicer, slightly better tuner, knobs hardware etc, all just small things each, but at sum they made a big difference and worth for me the investment.

would i now buy a brand new $5000 gibson lespaul custom... i really doubt it...

• Members

In 1978 I bought a new Norlin era Les Paul Custom MF (maple fingerboard) that weighed 12 lbs. It had the three piece maple neck and the finish was all natural (clear).

The only one I found that was heavier was in a recording studio - which I thought was a good place for it since it was mostly played sitting down - it was also a Norlin era Custom (Black Beauty) and sounded incredible.

• 1 month later...

Archived