Final mockup of Les Paul style build

6down1togo

• Members

Finally got around to working on this one. Bought an "orphan body" off ebay and had the seller build a matching Padauk 3 piece neck for it. The body wis Padauk with a Tigerwood top. I was pretty disappointed after I got it ... fuglier in person than the pics. I routed the body countour and knocked down the neck heel. mixed a few different stains together to get the back and top in harmony, color-wise. Padauk is blood red under a natural finish which I liked but the top was just drab looking so I just went brown.

Here is the before:

f32de2698dffcca836bdf49a953a2858.thumb.jpg.b0b885dd2708f8f4e4a1614f75abb5ec.jpg

198cf16519ee6520bedf3d2c40bafb92.thumb.jpg.2c1147d587a7193e0283625a2c33ab3f.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the compliments guys. I tried to redden up the top some and brown up the back and sides to make it less of a contrast. I was going to burst it with black/brown to hide the lamination but it just kind of grew on me.

I went with Artec Giovanni Vintage '59 pickups. They are not very expensive but are a very nice vintage PAF sounding pickup. I have used them before on other guitars. I put on a Schaller fine tuning tailpiece and matching bridge only because I thought the no exposed screw look was nice.and contemporary looking. I was going to use the Schaller Da Vinci (clockwork) tuners which also have no exposed screws to complete the theme but realized they won't work. I have a 3x3 headstock with no tilt much like a Fender so I have to use staggered tuners. I have Hipshot 3x3 locking tuners with staggered posts to supply the needed down tension. I sure hope it works! lol

I'll post up some pics when it's done. I was busy all summer restoring a car and then jumped on this guitar while it was warm enough to work on it in the garage.

• Members
Can't wait to see it when it's done. but no headstock tilt? Why is that?

I had the neck built by the guy who listed the body. The body was on ebay for months and I "bundled" the body with a set neck of matching wood. The seller basically screwed me over on it as it was cheaper and easier to build a Fender style neck than a Gibson. That's the way of the world.

• Members

Leo was a genius at making things easy (and cheap) to manufacture. The long legacy of Gibson was to carry traditional fabrication - there is a certain elegance to their designs. Of course with a CNC elegant designs become easy.

Leo's flat headstocks are just an example - add a couple of string trees and presto, instant angle. And a screw on neck is pure assembly line - the antithesis of a set neck. The advantage of having the same guy build the neck as built the body is that scale length should be perfect, neck angle and geometry should be spot on.

Guitar looks good, waiting to see the whole thing when its finished.

Archived