Fender's new Pau Ferro fretboards

gardo

• Members

Road-worn JM, (MiM)

It should be the last electric guitar I ever buy. I already have a pretty good big Jazz box.

I didn't any for electrics for decades. But since I moved back to the US in late 2016,

I bought 3 for me and 1 for a son. Jazzmaster was always my dream guitar since I was a kid.

It was the last Sweetwater had in stock. I got it for $799 (down from $1024).

It's being set up now.

• Members

Honestly, I think I'm set for electric guitars. GAS won't end. I want other stuff - but I don't want any more electric guitars.

The blow-out prices on Gibsons delayed my acquisition of a JM. But it's the guitar I always wanted. I've tried to get a JM sound using synth patches and my archtop until now. .

I'm surprised at how great the 490R & T pick-ups on my Les Paul Faded sound. Between it, the Jazzmaster & my arch-top, I should be able to get any electric guitar sound I need.

• Members

I really don't care whether my fret board is Ebony, Maple, Pau Ferro, Rosewood or whatever. I don't see how that affects the sound of a guitar. And the difference in playability is not even noticeable for my playing.

But if I'm trying to transport guitars in and out of the US - I don't want to hassle w/ CITES.

WTH is wrong with these people? I fly my Les Paul outside the US and I can't fly it back in?

I've actually been in Rosewood forests. Guitar fret boards by western manufacturers are an infinitesimally small part of the problem. It's the Chinese furniture and housing markets that are making forests disappear.

Good grief, these idiots.

• Members

My old jazz guitar had Brazilian rosewood and I was advised not to try to go through customs with it. Even though the thing was built 60 years ago ,it was obviously made before the restrictions were put in place.but without all the paperwork in order it could be seized. Really ?

• Members

There are millions of Chinese using Rosewood for framing homes, making furniture, cabinetry and building coffins. There is huge black market inside and outside China for the stuff.

CITES is not worth a damn since it doesn't even touch that trade. But western musicians get hassled for our little fret boards and guitar bridges?

I have to worry about taking my little Les Paul outside the US?

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? *#%~ing idiots!

Buy Chinese Rosewood furniture in California.

Rosewood demand in China

• Members

UPDATE:

The Jazzmaster w/PF fretboard arrived. My observations.

1. Rosewood is much darker - more attractive IMO.

2. The PF on my JM is a bland sort of brown, a bit lighter than shoe polish brown. Tobacco brown?

3. In the Sweetwater pic above it appears darker than it is.

3. The PF grain seems much tighter than RW. It’s flawless. No seams or splits as I’ve seen on RW

4. Travel up and down the FB might be easier on PF because of #3. Dunno.

5. Biggest drawback to me? My PF fb is less attractive than my RW fbs. See #1 above. (That might be remedied by a darker finish? Dunno.)

• Members
I wonder how well pau ferro takes stain. :idk:

Is the fretboard unsealed like you find on most rosewood boards?

Dunno.

The grain is extremely tight - seamless - unlike many RW fretboards I've seen. I examined mine w/ a magnifying glass.

It is probably a good fretboard wood for that reason. It's almost like stone its so tight. But I find it less attractive because of the color. YMMV

• Members

Fwiw, l just got a couple of ebony boards from the Bob Taylor / Cameroon connection. They have lovely streaks of grey gain running thru them - a few years ago these would have been rejects but I actually prefer them. Kudos to Taylor for stopping the waste and changing what we accept.

I would certainly use a pau ferro fret board, however right now I've still got several rosewood boards and it remains available thru my sources.

• Members
Fwiw, l just got a couple of ebony boards from the Bob Taylor / Cameroon connection. They have lovely streaks of grey gain running thru them - a few years ago these would have been rejects but I actually prefer them. Kudos to Taylor for stopping the waste and changing what we accept.

I would certainly use a pau ferro fret board, however right now I've still got several rosewood boards and it remains available thru my sources.

I like that look too. Any pics? FwiwI like lighter streaks on rw boards too.

Archived