Tele Neck Pup

gardo

• Members

I've been chasing a clicking sound from a Tele neck pup. First thing was to check all solder joints.,no problem found . I checked the switch,it seemed Ok but I changed it anyway. Still making that noise.Tried a different amp ,still there . I became so obsessed with this sound that I could not enjoy playing this guitar at home . Finally I found the problem. The neck pickup fit too close to the pickgaurd .I tried a different pickgaurd ,no difference.. Believe it or not .a few seconds with a Dremel to carefully trim the opening enough to create a slight air gap around the pup not only solved the problem but opened up the tone. The pup in this case is a Fender Vintage Noiseless that. mounts to the bottom of the cavity rather than to the pickgaurd.. Somehow freeing up the pup helped alot. If you have a pickgaurd on your Tele ,pull it off if you can and see if the sound improves. If it does this is a simple fix

• Members

Good advice Gardo, sure to save someone a few frustrating hours searching for the problem!

​Reminds me of a client who came to me, his guitar's bridge pickup making "ticking" sounds thru the amp. I played it, no tick. He played it, it ticked. Played my Paul, no tick. HE played my Paul, it ticked. I sat there, staring at him, then simply said...."Take off your watch from your right hand please." Took it off, no tick!

• Members

No shielding. I can't say if it was some kind of static charge or simply the mechanical contact.

Also the noiseless pup is a stacked humbucker as opposed to a single coil. I don't know where this enters into the equation

• Members
I've been chasing a clicking sound from a Tele neck pup. First thing was to check all solder joints.' date='no problem found . I checked the switch,it seemed Ok but I changed it anyway. Still making that noise.Tried a different amp ,still there . I became so obsessed with this sound that I could not enjoy playing this guitar at home . Finally I found the problem. The neck pickup fit too close to the pickgaurd .I tried a different pickgaurd ,no difference.. Believe it or not .a few seconds with a Dremel to carefully trim the opening enough to create a slight air gap around the pup not only solved the problem but opened up the tone. The pup in this case is a Fender Vintage Noiseless that. mounts to the bottom of the cavity rather than to the pickgaurd.. Somehow freeing up the pup helped alot. If you have a pickgaurd on your Tele ,pull it off if you can and see if the sound improves. If it does this is a simple fix [/quote']

Nice.

The original Tele pickup neck set up was a real drip.

• Members

Sounds like the pickup was fairly microphonic and was picking up the creaky noise of the pick guard rub.

I get that every so often from pickup rings and springs. Unfortunately there isn't always one good solution. Luckily you found one for yours. I might have tried a little lubrication around the opening in the pick guard first to see if that worked. If not I'd likely do the same thing by you did.

Archived