What song inspired you to pick up the electric guitar?

Chordite

• Members

I know many of you were raised with a guitar in the cradle but for late adopters like me what was the song that made you think "I gotta make that sound" and head somewhat optimistically for the guitar store?

For me it was this.

[video=youtube_share;uHDVz9JZt0U]

• Members

My father played acoustic guitar and piano and I started playing both at a very early age. Although he he was not a fan of the electric guitar, he had Chet Atkins and Les Paul records.

I was nine years old when The Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show and the first song I heard them play was 'All My Loving'. I spent hours figuring out the guitar solo on my dad's old archtop acoustic.

My first electric was a cheap thinline with a bolt-on neck but when I heard Hendrix I had to get a stratocaster because I wanted to be able to 'make that sound.' I've been playing strats ever since.

• Members

I always found the Les Paul, particularly the Custom, to be a good guitar for Jazz.

One of my teachers, Ed Bickert, plays jazz on a telecaster. By the time I met him, he had put a Gibson humbucking pichup in the neck position. He would start out with the tone control all the way down and bring it up to find the sweet spot.

edBickert19801211W800.jpg

• Members

The Ventures got me into air guitar. The cool melodies just stuck. In the 70s I heard this:

[video=youtube;KN6AV-NsGVA]

I'd never heard a guitar played that way and when I got around to electrics in the 90s, 335 was a major driving force. Still can't play it - never tried, just keep developing my melodic way.

• Members

No song. I'm an acoustic guy at heart. A friend who used to be in praise band with me wanted an electric and I found the infamous Fernandes Strat copy on Craigslist cheap, and a small Peavey amp in a pawn shop. He took the amp but didn't want the guitar so I bought another amp and started playing electric on songs where it was appropriate. Couldn't stand the guitar, even with some mods, and I finally got rid of it.

• Members

When I first heard Larry Carlton in the mid-70s I wanted to practice more.

I was particularly impressed with how he took advantage of the chord changes to play more melodically rather than being thrown off by them.

I thought "that guy knows all there is to know about the guitar but he just closes his eyes and plays."

• Members

It wasn't one song in particular. When I was a kid, I was really into glam metal and began to harbor fantasies of becoming a bassist. When my mom finally took me to a music store to get a bass, the sales clerk talked me into getting a guitar instead. The guitar has been my main instrument ever since... although I still harbor fantasies of joining some band as the bassist.

• Members

I still can't quite pinpoint a 'moment of singularity' that awoke my desire to play, but the closest I can come to it is:

Davey Johnstone's killer riff on Elton John's 'Love Lies Bleeding'

Kiss Alive, which got me playing air guitar on my father's tennis rackets. 'Strutter,' 'Deuce,' 'Black Diamond,' 'Parasite,' tons of songs on that record.

I'm pretty sure seeing Terry Kath play '25 or 6 to 4' with Chicago on some TV show was probably the earliest time I remember 'wanting to be a guitar player.'

It's really easiest to say that I owe a great deal of my inspiration to play to Paul Stanley. I made Ace my hero, even though I realized all that great riffing was Paul's genius. It really comes down to Paul Stanley.

• Members

For me it was more like "sounds" than "songs"

My father, luckily for me, had a rather eclectic taste in music, so that included some stuff that appealed to me in the mid '60s.

These two albums were particularly influential and made me want to play the electric guitar.

hqdefault.jpg

418QQTJCVAL.jpg

To this day those are two of my all-time favorite albums

And I'm still a big fan of the Ventures take on House of the Rising Sun from that album. And of course I learned to play "Walk Don't Run"

[video=youtube;o11UmyX_hUo]

So I guess if I had to name a song, it would be probably be House of the Rising Sun with Walk Don't Run being a close second.

• Members

Definitely Zep's "whole lotta love". I used to drop the needle back & forth over the solo so often I wore out the record. I got my first electric- an Ibanez cherry sunburst les Paul copy because it kinda looked like jimmy Page's.

Ironically, I never got the solo down & don't really like Zep that much anymore.

• 1 month later...

Archived