No announcement yet.

Am I now a musical relic?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I now a musical relic?

I can handle the idea of MIDI guitars and advances in music and keep up by adopting a sort of Brian Eno pseudo academic attitude.
    While happily trying to pull nuanced emotions out of my string and wood strat I browsed into this and suddenly I felt old, very very old

It is apparently called a 'launchpad' and in this link a guy explains the basics.
    https://youtu.be/vFAzD5amZDo
    Last edited by Chordite; 11-10-2017, 09:20 AM.

I hope my teen daughter never finds out about this thing

Comment

Making music by triggered samples has been around since the late 80s when Akai, with Roger Linn's help, developed and released the first MPC. Practically ALL Hip-Hop music is produced/performed this way.

It's OK to be a relic. People still learn and play the violin even though a synthesizer is CLEARLY superior in every way.
      Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM.
      This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

You've never heard of Ableton or Ableton Live?

I'm old too, but that's fairly old news. As Mr.Grumpy said, Hip Hop (and lots of other modern genres) utilize triggered samples extensively, and the Ableton Launchpad is just a controller that allows you to access / play a bunch of them at once.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• Chordite
          Chordite commented
          Editing a comment
          I hadn't but of course I want one now.
          A friend uses Ableton but I hadn't seen the controller before.
          Last edited by Chordite; 11-08-2017, 11:32 AM.

Meh. Just sounds like generic club music.

They'll always be a place for more nuanced instruments like guitar, piano, etc.

Check this out for a great combination of new technology, song writing, and musicianship. Even has some guitars too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNi7aRwUzU

Listen...

Comment

That's great! Not hard to catch the appeal of that.

Welcome to the future - we're now opera singers.

Comment

What's wrong with being a relic?
            People relic their guitars why not a relic guitarist to match?

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
              What's wrong with being a relic?
              People relic their guitars why not a relic guitarist to match?

Listen...

Comment

Surely you can understand that young people want their own thing. What he's doing is brilliant and it's for his generation. It doesn't have to be a war of the generations - just accept it and hang with old farts like me.

Comment

Is there a way to hook that computer, set a few parameters, then just walk away? Take the human factor totally out of the process. Who needs creativity anyway?
                  I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
                  Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

But he is being creative within his own genres parameters.

Roughly 90% of what we call rock is the same blues song, but that's deemed to be cool within our narrow parameters.
                    Last edited by Grant Harding; 11-08-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

We seem to be approaching the era of the i-pad gig, or even the 'phone gig where the performer just walks on dials into the PA and taps his touch screen samples in millennial head down and pacing about style.

PS I remember way back in 2003 programming up my sony t610 phone which had a sort of sequencer for polyphonic dial tones. I was pleasantly surprised by what I put together. If it still takes charge I'll record it and post it here.
                      Last edited by Chordite; 11-09-2017, 03:12 AM.

Comment

If you have one of these lurking in a drawer there is a neat little sequencer down in the menus
                        I started building a supposedly 'quiet' ringtone for night calls and sort of got carried away after about 30 seconds
                        MP3 of it below,VVV should open in media player

Phone short.mp3
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Chordite; 11-09-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbrown49 View Post

They're here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_lrg2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	32098174

Click image for larger version

Name:	GetFile.aspx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	32098173

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by Emory View Post
                            Is there a way to hook that computer, set a few parameters, then just walk away? Take the human factor totally out of the process. Who needs creativity anyway?
                            Back in the 90s I had a software program by IK Multimedia (sold in the US by Cakewalk) called GrooveMaker. It came with a bunch of 8-bar samples of various types (beats, basses, chords, ect...) that could be combined manually. It also included a "bot" that would randomly chain them together for you, you just picked out the sample set you wanted it to use, and it would churn out electronic dance music pretty well, obviously following an algorithm.
                            This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

Working...
                            X