No announcement yet.

Shamisen

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shamisen

Came across this from a windy rooftop in Tokyo where the AGC is working overtime. I didn't know what a Shamisen was. Now I do
    Interesting looking at parallel development.The huge pick seems to act as a percussion tool also
    I wonder if other planets also have instruments with strings and a pick
    There is a point at around 4:30 to 4:50 where you can hear them ping pong the base note left and right.

I actually had a shamisen come into my shop for repair - it had a broken head stock. I only took pictures of the break and the glue up. Since it was somewhat shattered I used slow set epoxy on the repair

Click image for larger version

Name:	127686
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	32095849

Name:	127687
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	32095850

We had the pleasure of hearing this wonderful group a few years ago

How about mixing 6th century Chinese music with a little 20th century Americana

Comment

Name:	imags.jpg
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	32096096

Takes a spackle knife to play. That's a Fender pick sitting on the shamisen pick
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post
        . . . Interesting looking at parallel development.The huge pick seems to act as a percussion tool also
        I wonder if other planets also have instruments with strings and a pick . . .
        Cool instruments. There are so many ways to generate sound. One involves a plucked string. Assuming they can perceive vibrations in or near our auditory range I don't see why aliens wouldn't develop something similar.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I was digging thru some pictures and found this. I guess the shamisen was in the shop at the same time I was putting the Sustainiac in the flying Vee. Kind of Yin and Yang, eh?

Name:	127775
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	32099715

Comment

Originally posted by Chordite View Post

I wonder if other planets also have instruments with strings and a pick
            Well, if String Theory is correct, everything is made up of vibrating strings... ...but it doesn't say anything about picks AFAIK.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I'd like to see E VH play around with that thing. They definitely give that boy from deliverance a run for his money.

Comment

Working...
              X