Slow migration from neck pup to bridge

Grant Harding

• Members

I always feel the neck talks with a full mellow voice and the bridge screeches at ya like a catfight.

As you say in the mix or a noisy club it has its place but I never liked it. Then again I'm a rhythm guy so biased. I find I am increasingly bonding with humbuckers and delighting in the Westone Thunder.

• Members

playing on my own,i mostly play neck only, but in band setup (drum bass guitar maybe keys/synth) the neck pickup becomes useless cause it fights too might with the other instruments

it has to do with experience that you become aware more of the sound in the mix context than of single instruments on their own

• Members

The bridge allows you to produce pinch harmonics (Like ZZ Tops Billy Gibbons gets) because the pickup is between the bridge and the picking hand and the harmonics are captured. The neck pup doesn't hear the harmonics when the harmonics are between the bridge and neck pickup, unless you create the harmonics over the fretboard.

Its like playing slide with a neck pup. If you go past the pickup with a slide towards the bridge the sound quite because the vibration is between the slide and bridge. When you pinch a harmonics you're doing the same kind of thing. The string between the pick and bridge contains the harmonic. The string between the nut and pick doesn't.

• Members

For me, it was the other way around. I started out with a strat and a 100 Watt amplifier and was always going for more gain - to the point where I carved out the body of the strat to facilitate a bridge humbucker.

After doing a stint on Fender Rhodes in a jazz/rock group I ended up trading my guitar rig for a 335 and a 40 Watt Pro Reverb. I became enamoured with the warm sound of the neck pickup on the 335 for leads and found the magic of that particular guitar/amp combo was in blending both pickups.

• Members
I always feel the neck talks with a full mellow voice and the bridge screeches at ya like a catfight.

As you say in the mix or a noisy club it has its place but I never liked it. Then again I'm a rhythm guy so biased. I find I am increasingly bonding with humbuckers and delighting in the Westone Thunder.

I wouldn't have put it that way but I like your style. I use both but I like the mellower sound of the neck pickup. I'm in a praise situation and I use the neck pickup for general stuff and the the bridge when I need a more aggressive sound.

Archived