Schecter PT Standard - Thoughts?

RaVenCAD

• Members

I've been kind of entertaining the idea of getting a Tele-style guitar lately. Fender is the obvious choice, but I never have been a fan of obvious choices. So I was looking around and I found that Schecter actually makes a few guitars that aren't metalhead machines. So what are your thoughts on their PT Standard model?

http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/california-vintage/pt-standard-2015-06-30-detail

​Don't worry about the price. I have a local one that's like new (literally still in the box) for $300..

• Members

I've always wanted a Schecter PT, but I like their old-school PT (which stands for Pete Townsend, FYI) model with the dual humbuckers, like Pete actually used. I think if I was looking at $300 teles and opposed to buying a Fender, I would look at a G&L Tribute model ASAT. They go on sale on Musician's Friend all the time for $300.

• Members

Every part in it is a clone of a fender with the exception of the headstock (which I don't like personally) Even the ash tray bridge. Nothing there to make it sound any different besides maybe the pickups. Maybe the shape of the neck is more comfortable? I don't know,

I don't see any reason to spend $400 on a clone when you can buy the real thing for that much, but to be honest I haven't played that model so its hard to judge the quality from a picture.

I've been surprised before. A friend of mine had me try out an ESP Strat back in the early 80's. The quality easily matched any vintage Strat I played. Even had the great neck shape of a vintage 60's model.

Unless you play one and know its quality its simply hard to know. One thing I prefer with finished maple fret boards is Stainless Steel Frets. They are low maintenance and you're not having to tape the thing off all the time when its time for Polishing, Leveling or Re-crowning. I Have two Maple Tele necks with SS frets and I love them because of that. I'm really tough on frets with all the bends I do and spending allot on a guitar with standard frets makes no sense If I'm going to be replacing them within a year.

• Members

I must qualify by saying I do not have direct experience with that model but it looks good to me.

The electric guitar does not get much more basic than a tele. It would take some effort for a reputable manufacturer to build a bad one. Slab of Swamp Ash with an all Maple neck - what could go wrong?

If it's a good player but needs a pickup upgrade, you could even put Kinmans in it and still only pay a $600 in total for a decent tele.

A lot of really good guitars have come out of South Korea and, since it's local, I'm assuming you can play it before you decide to buy it.

IMO, It's definitely worth a look.

• Members

Never been a fan of the Schecters in general since I don't like the extra jumbo frets they use. The quality is superb however, since I believe most are made by WMI, and they have high standards. But I have to agree with what's been said before. You want a tele, buy either a Fender or a G&L. Get the one designed by the man who created the first one.

• Members
"The Guitar in the OP certainly looks like it was designed by Leo. "

​Yes One, it does, but anyone can make a guitar that looks like a tele. But does it have the same neck profile? Same fretboard radius?

I have a telecaster that was not built by any of the companies that bear Leo Fender's name. My guitar has a compound radius and the one in the OP is 12" like a Les Paul. My tele a fine guitar and one of two that I take to almost every gig.

I believ the 'magic' of the Fender guitar is in the design. Some high quality Warmoth cut wood along with one's pickups and hardware of choice can produce an excellent guitar.

In the case of the OP, It's a telecaster built by a company that makes guitars and obviously has the equipment to do it.

Archived