I'm had EMG 81/85 pups installed in my Gibson Les Paul Custom

mbengs1

• Members

I think you'll find them to be a bit sterile compared to the original passives. What you gain on one end you'll lose on the other. Not something I'd install in a LP. I have other shredders with factory installed 81/85's They are what they are, Shredders. not LP's

• Members
Sorry to hear that. We all make mistakes.

It wouldn't be my choice because I'm old school but I won't say it is a mistake for someone who likes that sort of sound.

I prefer noisless strat pickups to actual single coils - would you call that a 'mistake' too?

• Members

I hate active pickups. It kills any natural tone a guitar has, in my opinion. Noiseless, no, since they aren't active.

I've had EMGS, and within hours, ripped the out, and sold them on feebay, for those that use heavy distortion, and don't want a clean tone.

• Members

I got my les paul custom today from the tech. It has the 81 and 85 combination now. the emg'ss are very loud.they distort the clean channel when the guitar's volume knob is at 10. I have to lower the volume to about 5 to get a good clean sound from the pickups. the clean tone is kinda mediocre though, but not bad. I can still get some good clean tones. just don't compare to fender strat on the 2 and 4 positions on the pickup selector. the emg's are loud and kick butt. I have nothing bad to say about them except theyre the way emg's are supposed to be. low noise, aggressive (the 81), loud, clear (the 85), and they cut through the mix well. I have a question though. the emg's I got came from an Ibanez JS1000 from the the late 80's I think. I transferred the Gibson 498t and 490r to the Ibanez JS and they sound exceptionally good too. Do old emg's sound different from newer emg's? I'm worried the emg's I put in my les paul are out dated and the newer versions sound more up to date. Especially the 81. the 85 sounds great. but I wonder if my emg 81, is a good one?

• Members
I think you'll find them to be a bit sterile compared to the original passives. . . .

Passive pickups have a peak at 2-5KHz, which gives them their characteristic sound. AFAIK, active pickups have no such peak, which causes them to sound ''sterile.''

• Members
Sorry to hear that. We all make mistakes.

​No mistakes. I was sure I wanted to put my emgs I had on another guitar. I moved the Gibson pickups to that one. both guitars now sound much better. its a win win situation. I paid about 75 dollars to switch the pickups. the guy did a great job!

• Members
I think you'll find them to be a bit sterile compared to the original passives. What you gain on one end you'll lose on the other. Not something I'd install in a LP. I have other shredders with factory installed 81/85's They are what they are' date=' Shredders. not LP's [/quote']

​yes they are a bit sterile. but I recognize the sound to be very aggressive on the other hand. great for metal of course. I'm happy with the new sounds I'm getting.

• Members

Yes he put in two 25k pots for a volume and tone. the volume knob is for both pickups while the tone knob only affects the neck pickup. the other two pots are disengaged. I don't have a problem with that since I never use them.

Archived