No announcement yet.

I'm had EMG 81/85 pups installed in my Gibson Les Paul Custom

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm had EMG 81/85 pups installed in my Gibson Les Paul Custom

I will pick it up on Monday. I'm wondering how it will sound. I hope it kills. hehehe...

How can you be glad, when you don't know what they sound like?

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• mbengs1
      mbengs1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know 100% how its gonna sound like. but knowing the sound of the emgs when it was on my Ibanez JS and the acoustic sound of my les paul. it will sound great most likely.

Sorry to hear that. We all make mistakes.
    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

• Freeman Keller
      Freeman Keller commented
      Editing a comment
      You took the words right out of my mouth. Now install a wammy bar and a bunch of decals.

• badpenguin
      badpenguin commented
      Editing a comment
      shudders

• t_e_l_e
      t_e_l_e commented
      Editing a comment
      not a whammy bar like a bigsby, but you need to add a floyd rose and make some big hole in the body for it
      without floyd rose the emg sound like nothing in a les paul

Right on man, I don't think you'll be disappointed, not in the least. One suggestion - try both 9 and 18 volts. They both have their nuances, I have my Beast wired 18 and Warlock 9. I'll post a harness diagram later.
    Proud member: BC Rich Brigade
    Equiperate EMGers Club

Gear Used:
    BC Rich Beast (EMG 81/85 PA-2)
    Peavey 6505/Randall 4x12
    Caline Purple Smoke
    Dunlop Gcb-95
    DigiTech Whammy
    BBE Sonic Stomp
    ISP Decimator

Hellion=Dr. METAL.

EG

Originally Posted by J-E-M
    Use a wah pedal so you can fully express the cry-baby inside

Good Deal with: Twisty571

Comment

• mbengs1
      mbengs1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll ask Arie, the tech, if he could convert it to 18v.

I think you'll find them to be a bit sterile compared to the original passives. What you gain on one end you'll lose on the other. Not something I'd install in a LP. I have other shredders with factory installed 81/85's They are what they are, Shredders. not LP's

Comment

Well done! I hope they sound amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by badpenguin View Post
        It wouldn't be my choice because I'm old school but I won't say it is a mistake for someone who likes that sort of sound.

I prefer noisless strat pickups to actual single coils - would you call that a 'mistake' too?
        Last edited by onelife; 10-29-2017, 02:38 PM.
        As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
        from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

• badpenguin
          badpenguin commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate active pickups. It kills any natural tone a guitar has, in my opinion. Noiseless, no, since they aren't active.
          I've had EMGS, and within hours, ripped the out, and sold them on feebay, for those that use heavy distortion, and don't want a clean tone.

I got my les paul custom today from the tech. It has the 81 and 85 combination now. the emg'ss are very loud.they distort the clean channel when the guitar's volume knob is at 10. I have to lower the volume to about 5 to get a good clean sound from the pickups. the clean tone is kinda mediocre though, but not bad. I can still get some good clean tones. just don't compare to fender strat on the 2 and 4 positions on the pickup selector. the emg's are loud and kick butt. I have nothing bad to say about them except theyre the way emg's are supposed to be. low noise, aggressive (the 81), loud, clear (the 85), and they cut through the mix well. I have a question though. the emg's I got came from an Ibanez JS1000 from the the late 80's I think. I transferred the Gibson 498t and 490r to the Ibanez JS and they sound exceptionally good too. Do old emg's sound different from newer emg's? I'm worried the emg's I put in my les paul are out dated and the newer versions sound more up to date. Especially the 81. the 85 sounds great. but I wonder if my emg 81, is a good one?

Comment

Do old emg's sound different from newer emg's?
          No

Comment

• badpenguin
            badpenguin commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow..... I think that's the shortest, most concise reply, I have ever seen you do!

• 1001gear
            1001gear commented
            Editing a comment
            Prolly rong then.

Originally posted by doublecross View Post
          I think you'll find them to be a bit sterile compared to the original passives. . . .
          Passive pickups have a peak at 2-5KHz, which gives them their characteristic sound. AFAIK, active pickups have no such peak, which causes them to sound ''sterile.''
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by badpenguin View Post
            ​No mistakes. I was sure I wanted to put my emgs I had on another guitar. I moved the Gibson pickups to that one. both guitars now sound much better. its a win win situation. I paid about 75 dollars to switch the pickups. the guy did a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by doublecross View Post
              I think you'll find them to be a bit sterile compared to the original passives. What you gain on one end you'll lose on the other. Not something I'd install in a LP. I have other shredders with factory installed 81/85's They are what they are, Shredders. not LP's
              ​yes they are a bit sterile. but I recognize the sound to be very aggressive on the other hand. great for metal of course. I'm happy with the new sounds I'm getting.

Comment

Did your tech replace the volume and tone pots on your Les Paul?

If so, did he give you back the original pots?
                As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

• mbengs1
                  mbengs1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes he put in two 25k pots for a volume and tone. the volume knob is for both pickups while the tone knob only affects the neck pickup. the other two pots are disengaged. I don't have a problem with that since I never use them.

I put 81X/60X in my '78 custom and it kills. Mind you my normal go-to pickups are Antiquities and WCR Godwood/Crossroads so that should give some perspective on my tone preference. IMO the X series still sound like an EMG 81/60 but more open, dynamic, and responsive like a good passive.

Comment

Running them 18v opens them up, increases dynamic response, etc. I've never used the X series, but from the description above, I would imagine they're similar
                  Proud member: BC Rich Brigade
                  Equiperate EMGers Club

Gear Used:
                  BC Rich Beast (EMG 81/85 PA-2)
                  Peavey 6505/Randall 4x12
                  Caline Purple Smoke
                  Dunlop Gcb-95
                  DigiTech Whammy
                  BBE Sonic Stomp
                  ISP Decimator

Hellion=Dr. METAL.

EG