NUGibbyD!!!

badpenguin

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080651[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080652[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080653[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080654[/ATTACH] Hey all. Well I tried. I didn't go looking at a guitar for almost a month. Wasn't thinking about getting one. Had no desire for one, nor need for one...... sighs and shakes his head.

​Went to a store in Orlando, and wanted strings. And ONLY strings mind you, and..... walked out the door with this, and completely forgot about the damn strings too!

1997 Gibson Blueshawk.

​25 1/2" scale mahogany neck, poplar body with maple "cap" (ie: veneer.) two "blues 90" pickups, dummy coil in the back, varitone,, 3 way, vol/tone, and a push pull on the tone pot bypass the varitone.

​BEAUTIFUL soft V neck. nice rosewood board, nice frets, really evil sounding neck pickup, without any hum. And for about the same as the new Epiphone version.

Those are really cool guitars - nice score - congratulations!

And I love your wife's comment when she saw it. That rocks! :philthumb:

But I have got to give you a hard time about the strings... :cop::lol:

Not only should you have remembered you needed to pick some up, but you should always ask for a fresh set with any in-store guitar purchase, as a matter of practice. It's a principle I really try to stick with. Unless the price I'm getting is just sooo good that it would be insulting to ask for a set, they can either toss in a set and let me do the setup, or they can restring and set the guitar up for me as a condition of the sale...

Or do you folks think I expect too much? :idk:

• Members

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll officer, it's like this.....................

I have about 30 sets of strings here, and I stop in there, since they have the 3 packs I use for 10 bucks (USD). And it had been freshly restrung. But yes agree with you completely. one of the things I do, after asking for a case, is a set of fresh ones. but, in my lust, I mean, haste, I mean, well, look at it!! F holes. P90's. A varitone. AND my wife dug it! So I can offer no defense......

• Members
[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080651[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080652[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080653[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32080654[/ATTACH] Hey all. Well I tried. I didn't go looking at a guitar for almost a month. Wasn't thinking about getting one. Had no desire for one, nor need for one...... sighs and shakes his head.

​Went to a store in Orlando, and wanted strings. And ONLY strings mind you, and..... walked out the door with this, and completely forgot about the damn strings too!

1997 Gibson Blueshawk.

​25 1/2" scale mahogany neck, poplar body with maple "cap" (ie: veneer.) two "blues 90" pickups, dummy coil in the back, varitone,, 3 way, vol/tone, and a push pull on the tone pot bypass the varitone.

​BEAUTIFUL soft V neck. nice rosewood board, nice frets, really evil sounding neck pickup, without any hum. And for about the same as the new Epiphone version.

Ain't that they way.

Cool gibson.

Enjoy

• Members

Coincidentally, I was just looking with temptation at used red Blueshawks on Reverb a couple days ago. It's one of the guitars in my "coulda-woulda-shoulda" list. I've bought 3 versions of Gibson Nighthawks, including an original Nighthawk Special-3 '94 model in Fireburst (+ a 2009 & 2010 model), but I missed the boat on the Blueshawks. I think the Little Lucille version would have been particularly cool to snag. But that's just my guitar lust, you'll have to let us know more about what you think of its tones. I found a downside with my NHs were some degree of lacking depth, but they have other attributes that have made me hang onto mine.

• Members

Well, after a few days with it exclusively Gas, the reports of lacking in depth, are completely unfounded. The Blues90 as they are called, have a surprising amount of depth and clarity to them. The body resonates wonderfully, and the varitone, is...... different. The first position is bypass, which some claim isn't a true bypass. Well, someone before me added a push/pull switch as a bypass on the varitone, and yes, it IS bypassed. the second and 3rd position accent the bass side of things, and work wonderful with the neck and middle positions. the other three positions, tend to remove bass and mid, so it's very nice on the bridge alone, and can give you that weird "icepick in the ear" tone, IF that's what you feel you need.

​The neck, is a joy to hold. A soft V shape, that just DEMANDS jazz chords! And as you move along the neck, BB King starts to possess the fingers, and starts doing heavy vibrato on single string runs! the action may come across as a little high, but a little tweaking, you get why it's not Ibanez low. Sometimes, a slightly higher action is a good thing.

​The 25 1/2" scale makes the notes "pop" more on the attack, which some Gibson players may hate. I don't see or feel scale much, since I play a LOT of 25 1/2", and grew up playing the Gibson 24 3/4".

​My only real complaint, is that I think the varitone, can be a little over bearing at times, and should be able to be "dialed" in. Perhaps I will use the tone control push/pull to experiment with.

​But overall, if you see one, and want a Gibson that doesn't feel or sound quite like a regular Gibson, try one.

• Members
. . . Not only should you have remembered you needed to pick some up, but you should always ask for a fresh set with any in-store guitar purchase, as a matter of practice. It's a principle I really try to stick with. Unless the price I'm getting is just sooo good that it would be insulting to ask for a set, they can either toss in a set and let me do the setup, or they can restring and set the guitar up for me as a condition of the sale...

Or do you folks think I expect too much? :idk:

For me, it depends on the store. It's a nice bonus from a regular full line music store but not absolutely necessary. I've bought one used instrument from GC and I paid extra for a set of strings, although I got a killer deal on a used case. I don't expect it from pawn shops or private owners at all. When I bought my Schecter (from a pawn shop), I asked about a case and the guy brought out a big gig bag meant for an acoustic. I can only imagine what kind of strings he might have foisted on me.

• Members

Good to hear. I have indeed heard good things about the Blueshawk, and I think they seem to be a fave, or I should say, more of a following, than the Nighthawks in general.

Here's a pretty good website on the Nighthawk line. http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-gibson-nighthawk-guitar.html.

The scale length was definitely a departure for Gibson, and oddly enough, on my 2009, they used the standard Gibson scale length of 24 3/4, but my other two are the 25.5.

Well, I'm afraid your positive report will keep my GAS alive to track down a Blueshawk. There's another site I used to visit about Nighthawks, couldn't find it tonight, but I remember that the site seemed more interested in the Blueshawks than the other iterations, so that was partly what made me wonder if I'd missed the best with my ventures into Nighthawks.

Archived