Seeking info on anomalous Jay Turser Les Paul copy

mercer88

• Members

I am interested in buying a Jay Turser Les Paul copy off of Ebay, but the seller provides very little detail and my research throws up many lookalikes but none quite exactly the same.

This example looks almost exactly the same as the JT-220D Serpent, in purple sunburst, with the gold workings and black knobs, except the neck has rectangular abalone/MoP/cheap imitation inlays instead of the more ornate serpent (sadly...) and the machineheads appear to be jade coloured plastic or something, rather than metal.

I can provide a link if that's allowed and needed, but I just hope somebody with more knowledge of these things can help me figure out if this is some kind of prototype or has been modified in some way. It may not be pricey, but I am also a peasant, so it's a lot to invest in a dud. Hopefully someone can help.

That's basically it but since this is my first ever post I thought I'd say hi. I've been playing guitar badly on a battered old Squier Strat for thirteen years and have really upped my guitar game in the last year or two. I'm now getting way more into it (hence looking for new guitars to play) and hope in time I can be a decent contributing member of the community rather than simply an asker of questions.

• Members

Is it the purple quilt top with the hard case? I don't know much about Turser guitars, but it is my understanding the 220 and the 220 serpent are distinct models. I personally do not care for gold hardware, but that aside it looks like a nice guitar for a reasonable price based on other Turser LP types I saw on eBay.

• Members

Ok, a "Jay Turser" is just a name put on a guitar made overseas. Any number of builders have built them depending on the year, with some of the same models, being built by different companies. Unless it's an older one from the 90's, made generally by Samick, or possibly Cort, it's made in China. As we all know, quality can vary greatly, and your mileage may vary. You might get a great one, or a dud, but there's no real way of knowing, until it's in your hands. Make sure there's a return policy before buying.

​Oh, and even the serpentine one, is cheap plasctic inlays. played one, and went..... ehhh....

• Members

Don't think that's the one. I'm in the UK so it's one of only four UK based Turser's currently on the market. "Jay Turser Les Paul Faded Sunburst" are good keywords for finding it.

Funnily enough there's another (almost) identical one being sold by an actual guitar shop and it still doesn't give me a model or any specification details.

Thanks for the rest of the info, though. I've read mostly good things about Turser but there's the odd doubt thrown in there from time to time and that's what's got me worried. Everyone else in reviews or on youtube is playing a slightly different version.

That said, I'm looking for a cheap Les Paul type, they get a good rep for build quality and performance and it's in the perfect colour. I plan to get more into set-ups, maintenence and changing hardware so if there are tiny issues I hope to be able to deal with it soon. I just don't want to get this and find it comes with free buyers remorse!

• Members

Oh, I can comment on replies...Duh! Spot the noob.

This is why I'm desperately trying to find out some details. Thankfully the one I am looking at is near me so I am trying to arrange cash on pickup, which would allow me to hold it, try it out and risk being a 'timewaster'. I don't care, if it's not right, it's not right. I just can't seem to find details about this particular type.

I have found out that there is a version or what seems to be the JT-220D with abalone block inlays and jade coloured machine heads, two are available near me, one has been for sale on ebay in the past. But that's it.

Anyway, thanks for your help and advice. Also, that's sad about the serpent. There should be legal protections regarding ratios of style to substance.

Archived