Good 1st guitar for 13 y.o. -- Used Gibson SG or ????

loginhater

• Members

Anyone have any recommendations for a first guitar for a 13-year-old beginner? Looking for something easy to play and something that won't need to be upgraded for a while.

Thinking maybe a used Gibson SG faded. Shorter scale, lighter-weight, and smaller body -- seems to check a lot of boxes. I see them from time-to-time around $500, which is my max budget.

Would be nice to get something that holds its value for when it is time to trade up, but will consider lesser-known brands/guitars if they are great starters.

• Members

I think an SG is a decent suggestion, but there are others I would also look at. Gretsch has the Electromatic line and I like the looks. Some of the few I played actually felt pretty good. I am not a PRS guy but have to admit for the money their SE line is ok.

Fender has the Player line. Honestly, I would look at Craigslist in your area so you can actually try the guitar before you lay down money (as opposed to eBay). It would be used, so immediate depreciation is gone. Any major brand (Gretsch, Fender, Gibson, Musicman) should be fine. The secondary lines like Squire of Epiphone also have some nice guitars. They won't trade for as much, but they won't cost that much, especially used. I see lots of Epi SGs and Les Pauls in my area for $300-350, and its hard to find anything decent below that. The only other suggestion would be any REPUTABLE pawn shops in your area. A few local ones actually have some decent stuff from time to time at fair if not stellar prices. I like Fenders but because the neck is longer scale, I might avoid them if the child is small. If he is medium or bigger, should not be an issue. Good luck.

• Members

Faded SG is not a bad choice. Although they're a shorter scale, they feel long due to the neck joint. This also causes the neck to dive a bit. It's not a problem for most people, but I've never gotten on with the ergonomics of the guitar. Best to have him try one.

Most used guitars will hold their value as long as you buy fairly smart. Mexican Fenders are a good value on the used market too.

• Members

SG is a pretty good idea but with a 13 year old it may get decapitated. . I'd look for something with a maple neck but would avoid trems.for now

I think a a Squier Tele. is good for a beginner. . Less distractions ,easy to tune ,It may not be known as a metal guitar but that can come later once the basics are learned.

• Members

From experience of this I would say whatever it is I'd make headphones part of the package :)

Personally I always start em off with a strat derivative because they are robust, ergonomics are good and there is no 'whammy envy' issue against friends guitars. But if you are spending serious money on a beginner straplocks are a must or they will drop it at some point, guaranteed.

• Members

Imo, regardless of the dimensions of the 13-yr old, I'd buy a brand new Epiphone G400pro for the person. In cherry of course. With one of those fairly okay Epiphone hard shell cases. Your son/daughter/student will love the guitar and always remember it,even as he/she later progresses into the land of personal guitar choices.

Imo, there is no such thing as "trading up" when it comes to "first guitars". The guitar you buy will be a keeper in their mind. Nostalgia, emotion, etc. It's not like buying a first car for a teen. Although I've done that too. No way would I buy a used guitar for a newbie young-un when there is a perfect SG type choice new that is also very reasonably priced while retaining what I consider to be very high quality.

Despite my high number of Gibsons in the house (well, and Gretsch and others too), I still find the Epi g400 that I bought new for my son to be very fun to pick up and play.... when it's around that is.

• Members
. . . Honestly' date=' I would look at Craigslist in your area so you can actually try the guitar before you lay down money (as opposed to eBay). It would be used, so immediate depreciation is gone. Any major brand (Gretsch, Fender, Gibson, Musicman) should be fine. The secondary lines like Squire of Epiphone also have some nice guitars. They won't trade for as much, but they won't cost that much, especially used. . . .[/quote']

+1. The local (St. Louis) CraigsList has Epiphone SG's and Les Pauls for half your budget, Juniors for under $100. Personally I wouldn't spend near $500 for a guitar for an 11 year old unless the kid was already committed.

• Members

I actually disagree with most of what's been said here.

​Last thing I would buy a 13 year old is a Gibson. 500 for something that may get beaten up, dropped, traded for a skateboard, or thrown in a closet, just seems stupid to spend on a first guitar.

Does he want to play jazz? Country? Metal? Pop?

​I say, buy used. First off, the guitar is broken in, all the little weirdness that happens with a guitar has happened, and a quick trip to a guitar tech, or GC, and 60 bucks, makes it feeling the best it can be.

First off, find out what he wants in a guitar.

Maybe he wants a hollow body... (Ibanez's are around the 2-300 mark on craigslist)

​An Ibanez GIO is around the 75-150 mark, again craigslist.

​Squier's can range from crap, to being quite decent, and can cost from 75-300+ used market.

​Nothing wrong with an Epiphone. The Specials for around the 100 mark used, or 300 with an amp new at GC.

​the better Epiphones, from 200 on upT

​Secondly, if you don't know anything about guitars, bring someone who does, when shopping for one.

​And thirdly, and this is pet peeve of mine. 24 3/4 inches IS NOT a short scale!!!! 22", yes, Peavey's weird and wonderful 23 3/4, yes. Gibson scale is actually a standard sized. Fenders are longer, at 25 1/2, the PRS's scale of 25, yes, but again Gibson is not a short scale.

• Members

I have a short scale Fender Duo Sonic which is a real nice guitar for kids of any age. It is pretty much the same as a Fender Mustang, and has the advantages of being light, has a narrow neck and is really quiet for single coil pick-ups. Whatever guitar you get him, do a little work learning how to set it up, it only takes a tuner, an Allen wrench and a screwdriver. You can pay a fortune for a guitar, and if it isn't set up right, it will be very difficult to play!

• Moderators

honestly, why would you spend that kind of money for a 1st guitar? And why an electric? are you crazy? ;)

A good nylon string guitar with low action is what I generally recommend for beginners, especially that age.

If the kid puts in teh time, learns the chords, learns some songs and wants a better axe, then go for it....

• Members

I agree an SG is probably not the best choice for someone starting out unless they specify that is what they think is cool. My first real guitar was a single pickup peavey patriot, which was a great place for someone who wanted to play an electric guitar to start since it had one pickup and one knob. BTW, those old US built peavey's can still be had for a song when you find them, and a high enough quality they will last a lifetime.

• Members
Anyone have any recommendations for a first guitar for a 13-year-old beginner? Looking for something easy to play and something that won't need to be upgraded for a while.

Thinking maybe a used Gibson SG faded. Shorter scale, lighter-weight, and smaller body -- seems to check a lot of boxes. I see them from time-to-time around $500, which is my max budget.

Would be nice to get something that holds its value for when it is time to trade up, but will consider lesser-known brands/guitars if they are great starters.

I'm going to completely break with the pack and say I think that's an excellent idea. The SG Fadeds generally have excellent tone and play-ability. And 13 is not all that young if you think he'll get into it. True, you should educate him that if it falls over, the headstock might snap off, but I have no reason to assume that he's on the careless/clumbsy side of the spectrum.

But more so than any other reason, I just think the Gibson SGs Faded Specials are about the best tone for the buck value out there, and if it doesn't get destroyed, you shouldn't really lose any more than 30% of what you put into it. As one forumite posted here in reply to a comment I made about thinning out my Squiers, he said "I find they stick to you like glue". I mean, when you can get a Squier for cheap anyway, and load up some discounts, there's not a lot of motivation for someone to offer you somewhere around 70% of what it would cost them just to get a new one delivered to their door with full warranty.

Now if you have a bit of uncertainty about his/her interest, then indeed, maybe something like a Squier Classic Vibe makes some sense. My son was not too hot on the idea of "guitar" when he was about 10, but I wanted to get one for him anyway, so I decided to skimp and go with a early 90s Squier. It was a POS and my son did actually get into guitar once he hit high school. He still has that Squier, but it's like he's only hanging onto it out of an obligation for sentiment. I'm sure he'd be happier to be carrying around his first guitar if it had been an SG Faded.

Your results may vary.

• Members

How big is he? How much weight can he manage?

Sam Ash is blowing out new 2014 & 2015 SG's for $449 & $499.

These are incredible deals. He needs to also be taught about the danger

of headstocks snapping. No headstocks break more often than Gibson's.

Of course those Sam Ash bargains come with robot tuners.

He won't learn to tune the strings manually.

(But I love the robo-tuners.)

The kid will be really proud of having a US-made Gibson SG.

It is not without its drawbacks. But the prices are insanely low.

• Members
Also' date=' for extra coolness get a second hand 2004 assuming that's when he/she was born. Should be easy and it was a good year I think.[/quote']

Getting a guitar from the year the kid was born would be cool but we're probably talking about something like an Epiphone or similar so there might not be the same cachet. Here's a 2004 Epiphone SG for $150 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-G-3...kAAOSwRMtZa2li. Here's a 2004 Yamaha Pacifica for $99 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Yamaha-...UAAOSwXf9ZpYWt.

As for the price difference, a used Epi LP can be had for $200, which makes a full-on Gibson a bit pricey, especially for a first guitar. Down the road, though, those fire sale Gibsons are going to be selling for $350 or so because knowledgeable people will know they were cheaper instruments.

• Members

First off, Welcome to the Forum!

I can't see $500 on a first Guitar, have to second Penguin on that. Unless they've already been playing acoustic for a few years and this is the natural Next Step. I also never understood why anyone suggests starting on acoustic if Electric based music is what you want to play. If you're shooting for a music major, I get it, but if you never plan on playing acoustic, why bother? You're just wasting time and money developing skills that dont all transfer, and that time and money could otherwise be put in the Electric.

As far as decent first guitars - I'm going to suggest looking at Greg Bennett guitars, especially for a decent SG that won't break the bank. You can usually find these on CL and Reverb.com. Hardshell case and all for around $250-300, and they're really good players. If you're set on something a little more well known, I'd say go for a used Epiphone. They hold they're value pretty good, and can be picked up rather reasonable. (I'm going to imagine the SG style was picked out by the 13yr old) it definitely helps to get a guitar that is not only comfortable, but somewhat aesthetically pleasing as well, especially if the whole reason for starting is because of a specific song or player, and that style Guitar is what that player used. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

• Members

Greg Bennett guitars are made by Samick with his designs. They're actually known as ''Greg Bennett Design by Samick.'' Since Samick is the largest maker of guitars in the world, it stands to reason they can make good ones when it counts.

• Members

I'm unsure I understand the logic of telling someone what price they can pay for a gift to someone else. No, I also didn't get a 500$ Gibson when I was 13, but yes, I'd happily buy one for a niece/nephew of mine if she/he wanted to be serious about playing an electric guitar. My first electric guitar was a squire. It wasn't a good guitar but I still have it. If it were a good guitar, it's possible I would still be playing it and that would be cool.

• Members

Out of curiosity, I took a look at those Sam Ash Sgs. Gawd, those Hershey bar blocks of wood with Silvertone knobs and those ugh pickup are......awful. I don't care what the headstock says. No wonder that particular model is being blown out the door.

My vote still goes to the Epi 400pro Sg. When I bought one new for my son, sure I had a consideration of "what if he bails on playing guitar?" I figured, hey, I'll keep the Epi Sg for me for fun. Didn't have to worry about that though as my son loved the guitar and stayed with playing.

Archived