Tom Petty Dies

WRGKMC

• Members

I was surprised on this one. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-pet...is-dead-at-66/

He was only 7 years older then I am. I know from his own biography he had a long history with drug use. Cocaine does allot of long term damage to the heart which shortens a persons life. Its still a shame to loose another great talent however. Whether you like his music or not, he did write allot of his own hit and worked with some of the best musicians.

• Members

I saw that earlier. I won't hit LIKE because I don't. Yea, not my personal favorite, but undeniable talent. You don't get people like Orbison to be in the band if you suck. He always had a great band, and I like the songs. I guess the only downfall was I didn't like his voice, but then again you knew instantly it was him, and thats what this business is about. Being unique is a virtue and he was. RIP.

• Members

Just heard about this from a fellow music lover at work.

Being 60 he came along a hair too late for me to consider him "The Soundtrack Of My Youth" (That was more like the Stones, Hendrix, Ventures, etc.) but he came close to that.

To me he was like a second wave, one that was a bit reinvented yet new at the same time. One of those bands that gave you hope that good music would keep coming.

Damn The Torpedoes was my first TP album (1979) though I believe I bought it in the early 80s. I frankly didn't care much for the Traveling Willburys tripe (1988), not the best from anybody in that ensemble, but Southern Accents (1988) with "Don't Come Around Here No More" was a sign that although he might have been getting into the "Wanna Be Bob Dylan" mode, that there was still a thundering rocker in his heart that would continue to excite his fans.

To his friends and family, thanks for all the joy of music that man gave me. I often work on playing his music on guitar, which can be a little tough without having a TP and a MC in the room to carry both parts (i.e. not necessarily structured for the solo player) but so many iconic riffs to enjoy.

Will miss you!

• Members

Just saw on my local news that he passed. He was a "local" boy, coming from Gainesville. I am in Jacksonville, an hour and a half away.

​Never high on my fav list, he was still a brilliant musician, songwriter, and overall decent player and person. He will be missed

• Members

Not my favorite either, but thats not my measure of him or any musician. I think the only way I know when someone significant has died is when I look at the body of work, and realize no one else sounded like that, and now a hole has been left that others cannot fill. I felt that way with Jimi who I loved. I felt that way with Janis, who at the time I didn't love, but do now. Felt that way about Keith Emerson Stevie Ray and a small handful of others. And I feel that way about TP. There is a hole for that unique sound that will not be filled anytime soon, if at all. RIP

• Members

He was always a favorite of mine. Loved his playing, writing, vocals, the evident sense of humor in some of his lyrics and his videos. I was also a big fan of the Traveling Wilburys. I'm socially jumpy and really tend to hate crowds, so I mostly avoid theaters, concerts, etc., like the plague. He was among the few musicians I ever went to see at a large concert venue. Saw him & Bob Dylan in Jerusalem in 1987. Great experience.

In my mind, I always see him with a Rickenbacker. Since the news of his death, I'm noticing that in every photo I see he seems to have a different guitar. So whether or not fellers here on the forum were fans of his music, he was certainly a fellow gear-lover.

Serious bummer to lose him at 66.

• Members

He definitely "grew" on me. When I first heard him on the FM radio , I thought well .he is kind of "nasal" in his "tone" "inflection" didn't not like , kind of meh . But , but , as time , and more great tunes emerged I realized he was a very much genius , actually. very much indeed. Quite sad , what a guitar player A goofy , buck toothed kid" that had a "garage band" who had a deep passion for guitars and making people smile :) . He was obviously ":experienced" and seemed like a righteous person , to me :) Nothing wrong with that :) nothing indeed imho sad day to lose "music" :( my 3 favorite tp tunes great man rip :(

I like the ELO and Eurythimics also very much :)

and this one no words rip George Roy and Tom great not said "lightly" great indeed imho

'm happy "music" lives on , forever :)

In my mind, I always see him with a Rickenbacker. Since the news of his death, I'm noticing that in every photo I see he seems to have a different guitar. So whether or not fellers here on the forum were fans of his music, he was certainly a fellow gear-lover.

Both Tom and Mike Campbell were / are serious gear-hounds, with great collections of amps and guitars. Everyone associated them with Rics - probably because of the cover of Damn The Torpedoes, but they played all kinds of different guitar brands and models.

Archived