NGD tomorrow

Axisplayer

• Members

I am going down one Marshall tomorrow. Made a deal to trade a JCM900 4100 for a 2013 Les Paul Studio, which are worth about the same around here. In fact, the guitar is probably worth a bit more and will definitely be an easier sale if I ever need to part with something. He described it as sunburst but isn't what I expected according to the pictures. Supposed to have dual split pups and a 10 db boost. Haven't played it, but from what I read I am expecting a 60's taper neck. Top seems plain but might be slightly better in person. ​Looks to be in good shape, so I present LP #4.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32071762[/ATTACH]

• Members

My understanding is that the Studio models are basically the same as a Standard, but less attention is paid to the wood and finish and there isn't any body or neck binding. I guess the idea is that if you are playing in the studio no one cares what it looks like, only how good it sounds. Might be a better choice for gigging than trying to protect a piece of 3A wood from bumps and scratches

Should be a great guitar - looking forward to more pictures and your comments

• Members

I have a '94 Studio with an ebony board, 490/498T pickups and no weight relief.

It is essentially a Les Paul Custom with absolutely no bling at all. The finish has been removed and, if you were to rate the top from one to ten, it would be a zero.

The guitar is my number one so it takes a bit of a beating but, as Freeman alluded to above, it is very well suited to gigging and the expected dings at scratces don't matter at all.

• Members

Freeman, I heard that also. Its mainly why I agreed to the trade. Everyone loves pretty binding and such, but if it was drop dead gorgeous, I wouldn't want to play it in a club where dings are almost inevitable. Seems like a good compromise. I don't care much for the black trim on it. I think I may have to consider antique ivory pickguard, and maybe pup covers. I don't need it to be 4A flame or anything, but I want to at least like it SOME.

• Members

I agree Phil. I think they make a big improvement for not much money. I had also mentioned adding the PUP covers, but you didn't. Do you like the zebra look or just neglect to mention them? I think they are a must. A LP without standard appearance humbuckers just doesn't look right to me. Am I wrong?

• Members

I'm with both of you on cream, altho I would probably leave the switch donut off. I also don't care for uncovered humbuckers - zebra or any other combination. However opinions vary and like Phil said, fairly easy mods.

That, by the way, is a nice piece of wood in your picture. Neither the 2017 Standard and 2015 (?) Special that I just worked on were anywhere close.

I'm okay with the pickups either way - uncovered or covered. All of my guitars with PAF-style humbuckers have covers on them, but some people prefer the sound with them uncovered, and the if you're going to go sans covers, IMO the zebras are a bit more visually interesting than pups with all black coils, but it's your call. Either would look nice IMO, especially with the "cream" mods.

Are you going to remove the pickguard? If so, it won't matter, but if you want to leave a pickguard on it, IMHO a cream one would be mandatory with the other mods you're thinking about doing. Leaving the black one on it just wouldn't look right. :freak:

• Members

Well its here. I had some parts so some changes were already made. The pictures did not do the wood justice before. OMG! Also, when he gets here I said I wasn't aware that Studio models had the wood binding band like the 2017 Tributes do. He said, I am not sure it is a standard studio model. Here are some shots including the pair of goldtops that Phil asked about seeing before. The colors are actually a perfect match but my lighting did not show that. They are the same color, except left is satin and right is nitro...[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32072324[/ATTACH]

• Members

This is the family of LPs together. All except the Epiphone thats still in a case somewhere. Left is the 2017 Goldtop Tribute, center is the new 2013 Studio (something) and the right is a 1992 Classic Tobaccoburst.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32072327[/ATTACH]

• Members

This is the best closeup my phone would do and it still didn't capture it that well. The top is truly beautiful up close in person. I do like the way it plays. Neck is more like a 50's than a 60's thin taper, but not by a lot. The zebras are 490R/Burstbucker Pro combination, Grover tuners, and the 10db has an internal pot to determine amount of boost up to the max 10db. I may change those later. Have to see what they sound like with the Marshall 18 watt I am finishing up restoration on. I had the tophats and pickguard. PUP rings and, selector tip and poker chip need to be ordered.

All in all, I think it was a good trade....for me.

EDIT: I just found an ad for my guitar model on Reverb: Studio Deluxe II Flametop 2013 They were asking $950 used and with much less flame. I am one happy camper.

EDIT: All of the remaining parts in creme, nickel pup covers, and straplocks were ordered. In by Friday. Updated picture will follow. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32072331[/ATTACH]

• Members

I am equal lead/rhythm sort of guy and played more acoustic guitar for a lot of years so I tend to strum fairly hard compared to those light fingered lead players. I am afraid I would have a lot of pick stripes if I took it off, but I do like the looks without it. In fact, I just thought about my Nighthawk and it doesn't have one, so maybe I DON'T need it as much as I think I do. Hmmmm. Thanks for the thought.

• Members

Actually, I am a Tele player that doesn't currently own one. LOL. I had an American Standard and I saw the Nighthawk and bought it because it had a fender scale and split switch. I couldn't bond with that particular Tele so I traded for the LP Goldtop thinking I would flip it easier. Turns out I liked having both goldtops. I already had the Classic I acquired in a deal about 10 years ago. It was a closet queen and never played. The new one is an accident. I ran an ad looking to sell or trade a couple of 100 watt Marshall heads. I thought a JCM900 Split Reverb would be a tough sell. The guy wrote and asked it I would trade one head for this guitar. He walked in, saw the head, told me how much he just loved and swore by JCM900s, and didn't need to try the amp. Again, I thought easier flip. Somehow I wound up with all these LPs and I am not an LP player.....weird how life works. Somehow I am starting to like them though, after only 40 years as a Fender guy.

• Members

Thanks Freeman. I feel like I got really lucky with this deal. Leaving the guard on primarily I guess so I won't have holes in the guitar, even though they are relatively small. Thanks for the kind words on the top. Now, about that not playing a 2-3A top in a club discussion we were having. I think it is at least that rating, but not an expert by any means. Certainly not as plain as I was expecting from the pictures he sent me originally.

Archived