So...the Ibanez Iceman

Preacher

• Members

Ok, so I'm not into metal (though much respect to the legit technical skill of many of the players) but lately I've really been digging the look of the Ibanez Iceman. Would actually love to make a project out of one. :whisper::love:

Looking at most of the lineup you've got mahogany bodies, double humbuckers, 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way toggle - a Les Paul setup. Seems like it could be really versatile.:idk:

So, who plays an Iceman? Feel free to post pics! Also feel free to explain what you like about them.

Also, does anybody play them for anything other than metal?

So, thoughts on the Iceman?

ibanez-ic520-1600565.jpg

IC520_VBS_4L_01.png

• Members
Looks like a fishing or digging device. I think the headstock ruins whatever vibe the rest is. I'd prefer something like this:

Ifetch?filedataid=127098

Ahaha, thanks for not only chiming in, but taking the time to hastily 'shop a mockup, awesome. :lol:

I totally understand the Iceman is not for everyone. :thu:

• Members

I happen to have one, an 06 ICX 220DX. A slightly smaller body version, with a 6 in line headstock, and made in Indonesia. While in general, I like a muddy neck pickup, the INF3 that came with it was WAY too much for my style of playing. (Replaced with a 90's reissue of the V1) And no, I don't do metal. My style is more of a jazz/pop/elevator music thingy. I LOVE the neck on this thing, not being RG thin, and having a little heft to it, and it balances wonderfully against me, whether sitting or standing.

fetch?filedataid=127100&type=thumb

c3e438c935cc072956205d8c015b39ce.thumb.jpg.24113eb1d05ddfbba5fee1f3712c64b3.jpg

• Moderators
Looks like a fishing or digging device. I think the headstock ruins whatever vibe the rest is. I'd prefer something like this:

Ifetch?filedataid=127098

what you want is a St. Vincent!

Funny when I first saw the St. V at Namm, I thought: it looks like they cut down an Iceman!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StVincentTOB?product_id=StVincentTOB&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core&adgroup=Guitars%2520-%2520Electric%2520-%2520Other&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=55280653081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw3rfOBRBJEiwAam-GsMHpecf3OdE89RTHfYspbHVW4npSgRGS2h0KTins2vU6X6waCnBm3RoCX-sQAvD_BwE

• Members
I always thought they had the lines of a reverse firebird that was cut away for high access. The controls are pretty similar in layout also. Below is the overlay shot of the two.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32072799[/ATTACH]

Yeah, I always thought that Ibanez must have been influenced by the Firebird when they designed the Iceman, and the Explorer when they designed the Destroyer.

The only famous guitarists that I can really think of off the top of my head who ever played an Iceman are Paul Stanley and Paul Gilbert. I'm sure there were others and I'm just forgetting them... :idk: I do know that the first time I ever saw an Iceman, Paul Stanley was the guy holding it.

I never really thought of the Iceman as being exclusively a metal guitar, but it's definitely a rock guitar. Kind of like a Dean Cadillac, BC Rich Mockingbird, or a Gibson Explorer. You might see a metal player using one, but you're just as likely to see a rock player using one.

• Members

My stepson used to have one, looked the same as your pic but had a floyd rose trem on it stock. I upgraded the p'ups for him, like a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, forget what for the neck, and it sounded pretty good with those mods. But you do end up with one big hunk of wood and a long neck/headstock reaching out like a Firebird. My stepson sold his, which bugged me a bit cuz I remember his mom was hurting for funds when she bought it for him, and he played Satriani's "Always With You, Always With Me" note for note on it (solo) at his 8th grade talent show (so you'd think it would have had some sentimental value for him) but in his 30s he sold it off to help pay for some household expenses. Didn't seem like he missed it much.

• Members

Sorry to hear you say that GM. My wife doesn't have sentiment about anything either. I am 64, and Dad died when I was 16. I saved his wallet with everything he had in it the night he passed at the hospital, and his old pocketknife. I have them in a special drawer in the living room desk, and told my wife I wanted my son to have them from his grandfather. He is 14 now. She asked why would he want an old wallet and a knife with a chipped blade. Just throw them away. They are in the drawer and will remain there at least until I die. I feel for you my friend.

• Members

Funny, I wrestle with some of the same issues. At 60 now I hang onto some things that used to belong to my parents and that remind me of my life with them in the '60s. But I realize that they won't mean much to the next generation so sometimes you gotta make room. And when I've given things to my son that I thought he might like (like the wedding band I had when I was married to his mother or the Seiko watch she gave me for Christmas) he just asks me "why would I want them?". Yep, it's a new generation with different values fo sho.

• Members

​Fishing or digging device? Naa.... I know I'm not alone on this, because others have said the same thing. I just know you have to be real careful with those silhouette shots.

Good to be aware of potential complications and pitfalls - Thanks!

I always thought they had the lines of a reverse firebird that was cut away for high access. The controls are pretty similar in layout also. Below is the overlay shot of the two.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32072799[/ATTACH]

Nice visual! I can very much see the similarity. To be honest, and perhaps risk a bit of heresy, I prefer the shape of the Iceman (I know :facepalm: ) to the gumby-like shape of the Firebird.

What you want is a Fernandes Ravelle. It's odd without that extra long lower horn:

fetch?filedataid=127170

Starting to have the flowing curves of a Mockingbird.

I can see that on both counts; I'd rock that (in fact, some Googling may be in order), and yes, I can see the Mockingbird vibe also. Thanks!

• Members

Hi GAS Man, a cursory google search brought up one of your posts about that specific guitar. Thanks for observations, and the story.

I'm 39, and extremely sentimental. I think I totally get your story, and Axisplayer's also.

• Members

Yeah, I always thought that Ibanez must have been influenced by the Firebird when they designed the Iceman, and the Explorer when they designed the Destroyer.

The only famous guitarists that I can really think of off the top of my head who ever played an Iceman are Paul Stanley and Paul Gilbert. I'm sure there were others and I'm just forgetting them... :idk: I do know that the first time I ever saw an Iceman, Paul Stanley was the guy holding it.

I never really thought of the Iceman as being exclusively a metal guitar, but it's definitely a rock guitar. Kind of like a Dean Cadillac, BC Rich Mockingbird, or a Gibson Explorer. You might see a metal player using one, but you're just as likely to see a rock player using one.

Thanks, Phil!

Yeah, I couldn't think of any other famous guitarists either. Googling the subject it looks like the guitarists for System of a Down and white Zombie also have sigs.

So yes, I get the rock thing. It sounds like the pickups handle high gain pretty well, though that isn't really in my wheelhouse.

On the other hand, this makes me think of another debate had on this board regarding famous players who play Fender Jaguars. It was an informative thread. It was interesting to see the music made with the Jag, and the common traits. I got a great little Squier Jag and it confirmed much of what I read. It absolutely loved shoegaze; throw on some reverb and good delay and it came to life, it just bloomed! At the same time, the physical traits of the guitar made me realize something else: I really enjoy guitars that sustain notes, that allow me to manipulate them with vibrato and natural modulation.

In this respect the Iceman seems less distinct than the Jaguar. Its unique trait seems to be its appearance more than its sound. If this is the case it means players may eschew the Iceman due to appearance or image. If it's possible to use an Iceman like a Les Paul, well that's something I find a little intriguing.

However, would I slightly raise an eyebrow if a guitarist brought an Iceman to a wedding reception? Yeah, probably. :lol:

Archived