Les Paul Jr. or Les Paul Special double-cutaway?

Etienne Rambert

• Members

I bought a guitar labeled as a 2015 Les Paul Special Double Cutaway from Sam Ash. Just opened the box today. The truss rod cover says "Junior". Nowhere in any advertisements is this guitar called a Les Paul Jr.

I haven't plugged it in. Used the GForce tuners. It took them awhile but they got there. I like the GForce. I want it on my other Les.

The action is not nearly as good as the action on my Faded -- which is a dream come true. Maybe this guitar has .10's. Dunno.

The hard-shell case is fantastic. Beautiful. I'm going to keep this guitar because the case is so swell. My Les Paul Faded will live in it. The Jr. fits fine in my soft-shell.

Maybe I can make use of the P90's on this Jr. too. Dunno yet.

But did I buy a Les Paul Junior? I did not know that at the time of purchase. Nowhere in any advert or review I watched is this guitar called a junior.

It's kind of an ugly thing.

fetch?photoid=32070327

fetch?photoid=32070410

I sort of regret not getting one of the fire-sale SG's. But they're so inexpensive,

I can do that later if I want.

• Members

The 2015 Gibson USA chart says Special double-cut too.

TRC definitely says Junior though. I guess I'm stuck w/that sobriquet unless I change TRC's.

'

I'll keep this mainly because I want the case for my Faded and I can learn how to operate the GForce on it. Maybe I can find a use for the P90's in future recording. Dunno.

My first impression is the Faded is a much better guitar - at least for my needs.

fetch?photoid=32053345

• Moderators

Exact same guitar except for the Truss rod cover.

My truss rod cover definitely says Junior.

Everything else from the reviews, the adverts on Sam Ash to my bill of sale says Les Paul Special.

GC is selling them as Juniors - Double Cut.

fetch?photoid=32070327

Your guitar and that guitar^ are clearly a 'Special'.

A Junior DC is a single p-up p90 with a pickguard, the Special is dual p90s and no pickguard.

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-junior-double-cutaway-cherry-1989?gclid=CjwKCAjw3rfOBRBJEiwAam-GsI_3A5mCG0DMXG9jqhVF3m6kEWHovn2wvqmGlrQRB5gBp34Xu38ZqRoC1goQAvD_BwE&hfid=6156555

They obviously put the wrong TRC on yours...flip it over if it bothers you or complain to the seller. :wave:

• Members

Your guitar and that guitar^ are clearly a 'Special'....

They obviously put the wrong TRC on yours...flip it over if it bothers you or complain to the seller. :wave:

The seller - Sam Ash - told me to send the guitar back.

Ridiculous.

I called Gibson on the phone today. They are sending me a correct TRC and a titanium nut - free.

Freeman - the model is Identified only by a number on the inspection card.

The truss rod cover and the case say 'Junior'.

That case BTW, is the reason I keep this guitar. Fits my LP Faded perfectly. They sell for $150-200 new. The guitar & free case for $579,

were a sweet deal.

• Members

I bought the exact same guitar, same price, different finish, with "Special" on the truss cover. The model is extremely similar to the 2-pup Junior in a lot of ways, but what you've got there is the Special. I've noticed over the years that Gibson can tend to play a little fast and loose with the labeling on their truss covers. I bought a Songwriter Deluxe Studio years ago that came with a truss cover labeled "Standard." And that's not the only time I've received a Gibson with a wacky truss cover. They also tend to do the same thing with tuning machines, I've noticed - what you get is not always what you see on the spec sheet, though I've never cared because this will almost always mean either enclosed Grovers or Kluson-style tuning machines, and I like both. It's always seemed to me as if someone at the factory will occasionally run short of the correct truss cover or tuning machines and just say to hell with it, I've got these handy...

• Members

I guess my problem with all of this is that, as far as I can tell, there is nothing on or in the guitar that tells me what model it is. I can look inside a Martin or a Taylor or a Guild and find a paper label with the model, date of manufacture and serial number. I can find the serial number on the back of a Gibbie headstock but it doesn't tell me anything (I'm sure the factory could research it for me but I don't have those tools).

This gets further complicated by Gibson's insane number of "models". If you go to their web site and search for Les Paul you will get 16 pages with 12 different model guitars per page (and of course that doesn't include the fact that most models come in multiple colors). I have a rough idea of which models are supposed to be better than another - kind of the pecking order from Tribute to Studio to Standard and Special and Custom - but I get lost.

I also don't really give a darn about signature models, particularly when they charge you a bunch more to chip the paint so it looks like Gibbons or Clapton's old guitar If you really want to make a tribute then give it bad frets, divots in the fretboard and scratchy pots. Just out of curiosity, do they put EC's name on the truss rod cover of the Beano copies?

I've had three Les Pauls cross my bench in the past few weeks - a 2017 Standard with the worst factory setup I have ever seen (and the QC card in the case with all the little boxes checked), a one or two year old Special that was gifted by the guys wife but never played because the action was bad (it had a high fret from the factory) and the Epi "New Standard" in the picture above which was, by far, the best of the three. I hope that those of you who are buying new Gibsons are getting better guitars than what I'm seeing.

• Members

FK, I'm with you on being confused by some of Gibbo's practices. I have no idea how/why they maintain such an enormous array of model variations, multiplied and complicated not only by finish, but also by their peculiar habit of frequently changing specifications according to model year... Almost building in obsolescence (not actual, but perceived by the market), sort of like the auto industry.

I've had my own relatively minor QC issues with Gibson in the past, like an approx. 1" finish crack on the back of a brand new SJ-100 (which in fairness could have been the retailer), or the very spotty finish on the back of an otherwise perfect Songwriter Deluxe Studio (because the serial no. pegged it has having been VERY recently made, my assumption was that they simply hadn't allowed enough time for the nitro to cure).

I currently own three Gibsons - one acoustic and two electrics. Fortunately, they are all flawless or near-flawless. Lucky, particularly as they are also all online purchases.

As a general observation, I would have to say that I often question Gibson's top-grading practices compared with other builders. While I'm not someone who favors the idea of wasting qualitatively good wood based on visual flaws that do not impact performance, a lot of what Gibson considers to be AAA is, to my eye, more often than not on par with AA from most other manufacturers. The LP Standard I purchased very recently is a good example. I love everything about the guitar, including its appearance; nevertheless, there is no way I would give the top an AAA rating. The book matching is unimpressive (an unfortunate feature of many Gibsons, IMHO), with a very obvious difference in figure between the bass and treble surfaces and several small marks on the former. Not even remotely an issue for me, but just not something I would feel comfortable selling as AAA.

By contrast, take a look at the tops on Eastman LP copies.

In all other respects, though, I'd have to say my three Gibbos are perfect. The LP is easily the best electric I've ever owned and has already usurped my Strat's "Favorite Electric" spot. I'm in love with the thing. Got a crazy discount and thought I was buying a case queen that I'd inevitably sell for a tidy profit. I'm never selling it.

I also own an Epi ES-339 that I purchased several years ago for barely $300. It came out of the case flawless and still is. I'm crazy about the thing. My limited experience with Epi has left me very impressed with their quality and attention to detail.

• Members

On the LP Special, I have to say that I really like the wraparound bridge. Very PRS-like. Not very helpful if you want to tweak intonation, but there aren't any issues there thus far. I just really like the overall simplicity of the instrument, bridge included. And I can't get over how much I like the neck.

I never even noticed myself edging into this preference, but I noticed recently that all but one of my electrics have bound fingerboards, and the same is true of all but one of my acoustics. Ultimately I can take or leave f/b binding, but obviously I'd rather take it.

• Members

I'm new to Gibson shopping. But I have determined one thing. Gibson's lower-priced instruments offer real value. In fact, what US-maker is even competing in the $500-$1000 range?

OTOH, Gibson's higher-priced line offers a lot less value.

Not only that, the vast majority of complaints I've read about Gibson refer to their higher-priced instruments.

The reviews of this particular guitar are uniformly positive.

Likewise, I don't see a lot of players complaining about their LP Fadeds.

• Members

I was a little bit surprised that Gibbie still puts the little nibs at the ends of the frets, at least on the 2017 Standard. I have never refretted one and will refuse to do so unless the owner lets me file them off. Which I doubt I would do anyway.

One thing that looks wrong to me is to bind the body and fretboard, but not the head. I mean, come on Gibson, if you can bind the head of an F5 mandolin you can sure as heck bind a Lester.

• Members

LP Standards have never had a bound headstock. As a matter of fact, the first 1952 Lester Gold tops didn't have neck binding either. The bound headstock and triple ply body binding used to be the sure way to tell a custom from a standard. Maybe not so much these days though

• Members

1001 gear asked why I'm getting a new nut. It's free for the asking.

Gibson is giving them out. The brass nut works fine. But apparently

the titanium nut was intended for this guitar.

-------

I'm surprised. But I am getting to like the P90's. I definitely like the GForce tuners too. I want one for my other LP.

The tone offers more clarity than my other LP but it doesn't lack warmth or sustain. It has an interesting sound.

The neck is ok. My local repair guy is going to set it up for me and install the titanium nut.

I still think it's kind of an ugly thing. But as a recording guitar - I hope to use it some. It is a nice little studio guitar. Nothing sounds quite like it - more sparkle and less bite than a Tele.

• Members

I actually think that it would be correct to call your guitar a Les Paul Junior Special Doublecut. (Not that it's worth worrying about - though if I bought it, I'd be trippin too.)

But for example, I own a 2001 Gibson that is called a Les Paul Junior Special that has 2 P-100s (humbucking P-90s), that's a singlecut.

I agree with a lot of what is said above. And certainly the "Junior" is an iconic entry/level/student grade Gibson known for a solid flat mahogany slab with one bridge P-90. Specials are often thought of as having the same body design but with 2 humbuckers, so "Junior Special" just sort of conjures up the heritage of both models into that particular amalgam. Of course, there's also the Les Paul Specials that are more of the VOS type of spec, with baseball bat necks with hefty slabs of mahogany, so that does add to the confusion. So I think by using both names they are trying to indicate its niche in the product line.

But no matter what they are called, and no matter what TRC you put on it (I might choose a no name-multiply TRC) they are damn fine sounding guitars.

It's also worth having an SG with the same type of electronics since the thinner body on an SG provides another tone, which is possibly even more dear to my liking, i.e. slightly more Fender-ish sounding than its thicker brothers.

Archived