Worlds Ugliest Music

1001gear

• Members

Supposedly no repetition which supposedly = ugly. I think not. Every note is played real loud on one instrument for two and the vibe is kinda cool and pretty consistent throughout.

With preface on the math,

[video=youtube;RENk9PK06AQ]

and just the tune if you can't wait.

[video=youtube;RtPv8XuQ_10]

Incidentally, this youtube channel is packed with thought provoking stuff.

• Members

My daughter was playing something like that a few weeks ago. She informed me that it's supposed to sound atonal and that I just don't appreciate modern composers. .I responded by saying"That's not even music it's just noise"Then I realized I sounded just like my father.

• Members

I like it more than not. I thought guitarists for sure would like the hard core potential of licks played in that manner. I think what keeps it from being actually ugly is it's not harmonized ugly. (compare to the Stockhausen) I do think that inasmuch as it still takes a human to do it right, doing it wrong would take a human as well. (see Stockhausen)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

1001gear,

I couldn’t agree with your initial post more. Standard tuning, traditional intonation, mathematicianly, but I like it too. It’s brevity makes it’s proposed “ugliness” easily endurable like sex with certain presidents for the right payout. Give me a piano, a harp in a well deserved but not sound proofed enough coffin being beaten to death by tiny hammers, in Just Intonation with a custom-made Bigsby Whammy-bar, a 400 watt solid-state amp & some digital distortion & turn me loose for 6 hours & we’ll get UGLY ! It’s one of my favorite Pop LPs of all time, but take your average TedTalker & see if they can get through both sides of The Residents’ “The Third Reich ‘n Roll.”

1001, are you sure you’re a drummer ? Awfully intelligent & perceptive for that class of human, aren’t we now ?

• Members
1001gear,

I couldn’t agree with your initial post more. Standard tuning, traditional intonation, mathematicianly, but I like it too. It’s brevity makes it’s proposed “ugliness” easily endurable like sex with certain presidents for the right payout. Give me a piano, a harp in a well deserved but not sound proofed enough coffin being beaten to death by tiny hammers, in Just Intonation with a custom-made Bigsby Whammy-bar, a 400 watt solid-state amp & some digital distortion & turn me loose for 6 hours & we’ll get UGLY ! It’s one of my favorite Pop LPs of all time, but take your average TedTalker & see if they can get through both sides of The Residents’ “The Third Reich ‘n Roll.”

1001, are you sure you’re a drummer ? Awfully intelligent & perceptive for that class of human, aren’t we now ?

actually... those who label are the less intelligent of the species... but keep telling yourself youre teh shmart... lol..

welcome to teh boards!

Archived