NPAD (new to me practice amps day.)

Chordite

• Members

I now have a pair of Peavey 158 Rage's so I can practice with full stereo effects :)

The discerning among you will notice that the two speakers are slightly different and that I have not got around to grouting my kitchen tiles yet!

For a nominal 15 watts each they are surprisingly loud

fetch?filedataid=127017

• Members

That's cool man. I finally did the same thing buying a second 15W Marshall.

Ones slightly different. The newer one has built in effects and has a much broader frequency response. Not sure if its doe to the speaker or whether the amp is simply voiced with a broader frequency response. I can get the two sounding fairly similar though.

I wouldn't use them playing out. I tried a single 15W once at an open mic night and the audience couldn't hear me even with it fully cranked. The bass player would up micing me so I got by. I've also used a single at rehearsals and even when raised up it couldn't compete. Two of them might get by but I rebuilt a Peavey Studio one and it does a much better job for that. I'm just not a fan of the peavey tone. I had been using the Peavey and one Marshall together and it actually sounded pretty good. I set the peavey fro clean tones and the Marshall for more driven and the two mixed well.

My buddy had one of those Rage amps. (it got sucked up in a tornado and landed a couple of blocks away smashed to bits) Its a tad smaller and quieter then my Marshalls. Still pretty loud though. I wouldn't worry about the unmatched speaker unless it creates an oddball tone. The one with a Wizzer cone is likely a replacement. Peavey doesn't make those speakers as far as I know. It may add some extra highs however and those amps are bright enough as it is. You could buy a matching pair of 8" Celestion's pretty cheap or troll ebay for a match. They don't come up too often and its slim pickins on good 8" speakers.

You should get some excellent practice tones from a good stereo pedal. Enjoy.

• Members

Cool, stereo is a blast. I use a Mustang amp into a good hi fi system from time to time.It sounds surprisingly good

We also have some tile work waiting to be finished. I guess it's a matter of priorities

The amps are certainly more portable than my stereo system ,good move

Archived