Does the protective plastic film on pickups affect the tone?

KevinTJH

• Members

This is probably a very odd question to ask, but hear me out!

I've recently been endorsed by a guitar brand and they are currently asking me to demo/make videos of their new releases.

They have just lent me 5 brand new guitars (straight out of the box) to play around and record with. I will be returning these guitars to them once I am done playing around with them, and they will send me more later on.

Out of courtesy, I'd like to keep these guitars looking "brand new" when they return as well so ideally, all the tags including the protective plastic film on the pickups and pickguards should remain intact if possible.

How much is the tone affected from having that plastic layer on top of the pickups?

• Members

I leave the plastic film on mine , doesn't seem to do much , really , honestly. Until, the "corners" of the film ,peel a little and "lift" up a little "flap" , become "unstuck" , then that makes the strings "buzz" and "mute" .I then pull them off, wrap them up , and stick them under the strings, behind the nut. It maintains "mass" and acts like a string"T" , slightly, a "cushion" and , if I ever "need" them again, "they" are right "there" , under the strings , behind the nut. :) dig it ?

tell me what you think :)

• Members

Here's the pickguard film on one of my Carvins. Near 20 yrs still going. I can't recall if my pickups came with film. The brownness is proprietary grime, naturally developed and self relic'd. It serves as a role model for the Carvin coils.

Also my 14, 18, 22, plains.

fetch?filedataid=126984

• Members
Here's the pickguard film on one of my Carvins. Near 20 yrs still going. I can't recall if my pickups came with film. The brownness is proprietary grime, naturally developed and self relic'd. It serves as a role model for the Carvin coils.

Also my 14, 18, 22, plains.

fetch?filedataid=126984

gravy stains ,one way to stop people touching yer guitar. lol

• Members
Old protective film that has been left on is about as resistible as popping big bubble wrap. It won't affect tone but' date=' if you are like me, you will not play properly because the "peel impulse" will be an overwhelming distraction.[/quote']

I'm sure I can resist the temptation to peel the plastic off!

I honestly don't plan on keeping these guitars for more than 2 weeks anyway, then I'll be able to try out a new batch after that.

• Members

No. Plastic contains no magnetic metals that can deflect the magnetic field so its not going to change the field. What little it might do to weaken the field doesn't add up to a hill of beans. Why you'd want to keep it on there doesn't make any sense but It wont make any difference tone wise.

• Members

I've recently been endorsed by a guitar brand and they are currently asking me to demo/make videos of their new releases.

They have just lent me 5 brand new guitars (straight out of the box) to play around and record with. I will be returning these guitars to them once I am done playing around with them, and they will send me more later on.

Out of courtesy, I'd like to keep these guitars looking "brand new" when they return as well so ideally, all the tags including the protective plastic film on the pickups and pickguards should remain intact if possible.

How much is the tone affected from having that plastic layer on top of the pickups?

well you might as well start advertising them now ,which guitars are they ?

• Members

Let me test drive em and I send them back the 4 they lent you. :D

• Members

Yikes! I have been absolutely slow and horrible with responses.

well you might as well start advertising them now ,which guitars are they ?

They're a brand called Haze.

So the Qingdao Factory in China that makes guitars for Epiphone, Squier, Schecter and many other brands, decided to start their own brand. It's currently called Haze for the Australian market.

Here's a video of a guitar cover I did with one of the guitars that I've kept for myself. It's a fanned fret 7-string guitar which I have setup in Drop F tuning [F A# F A# D# G C] and ridiculously thick strings [11 - 80].

The song from the Metalcore band, Northlane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm575nym1Yw

Archived