What is the best Fender you've evAr played?

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members

Can I go first? :confused2:

Ok, so I bought this Nocaster Tele thing at a guitar show. It's like dead nuts original as the originals, and just playing a few chords on it is like hearing a fine piano play through your amp. I mean, I don't know how they do it, but it is one of the best sounding Tele sounds I've ever heard, with a perfect balance of ballsy bass and chimey highs. . It sustains so long that you really get tired of it because you are ready yesterday for the next note. :( The radius is 7.5" so that takes some getting used to, but it's the tone that we're talking about here. :mad2:

Thank you for reading this far, that will be all. :0

• Members

I am NOT the biggest fan of Fender in anyway shape or form. But I know the 3 best ones I ever played and drooled after.

3) A 77 (I think) Silver anniversary strat.INCREDIBLY heavy. But just felt like perfection

​2) a 62 RI. This is stupid nice. Great radius, and the lace pickups are just heavenly in my opinion.

​)1 1955 summer strat. THIS is why people feel in love with the strat. all original, 3 way switch,. flat wounds, and that strat tone. With that guitar, I understood

• Members

in 1964 my neighbor "Tom" , directly across the street , 2 years older than myself , had a 1963 Sunburst Stratocaster and twin reverb I played it , a lot, My friend "Lloyd" too he's a year older than me now has a 67 jazzmaster and sg his guitars. I don't know where tom is now...Lloyds sister was friends with toms sister .said he had an "operation" and has "changed" a bit :) 65 y/o ya never know . I don't know if he still has it . May have used it to become what he is , maybe , probably dig it ?

tell me what you think :)

• Members

The best I ever owned was a 1998-9 (not sure) American Tele Deluxe in translucent red, white binding, maple neck, 5 way switching, three pups (Noiseless Vintage not the tex mex version they still sell.) When it was almost new I owned a 63 Sunburst Strat, but never bonded with it like I heard everyone say I would. Met a guy with the best I ever played. Around 1980, went to jam about an hour from home, where it is pretty rural. Lot of farmland. A guy there had been looking for a guitar and heard there was a geezer near him selling some guitars he didn't play anymore. These were under the bed guitars and he hadn't touched them in years, and the finish was pretty iffy on both. The guy got a '56 Tele and a '57 strat (real no repro) as a package deal for $250 with tweed cases. They both beat my Tele, and are the best I ever played. Something about the windings that made them sound very special. Wish I could find a deal like that, but in truth I think he took advantage of an old man who didn't understand the value of what he had. Guitars were still great though.

• Members

A friend of mine had a 64 Strat, all original, looked like it had been played to death, lots of 'mojo' going on, but still looked good. I spent some time with it, and while I typically abhor fat necks, that one played surprisingly well. The second would be a 70s Strat my cousin has. Also all original. He bought it in the 70s, and still gigs with it. Awesome player.

• Members

An actual '57 Strat, all original, around 1980 before 'vintage' became a 'thing.' A friend had it. Another of his friends showed up at his door with eight (!) $100 bills, and took it home. I played it a few times, and it was the best Fender I've ever played. Of course, my friend still drinks himself into stupor when reminded about how cheaply he sold it, but he couldn't have known.

• Members

I've been lucky enough to have 4 truly outstanding Fenders, 2 strats and 2 teles. The teles were both early Fender Japan models, one black and gold, the other a 69 reissue rosewood. Played both of them til there was literally not enough frets left to play above the octave. The first strat was a 77 hardtail natural finish with the heavier than possible ash body. That thing was simply amazing sounding and playing. The other strat is a 79 anniversary silver, if you've been around here long enough you'll remember the picture where I used its neck to measure the snow depth several years ago.

I still have the rosewood tele and the anniversary strat. The 77 strat was stolen at a gig back in the early 90s, and the black and gold tele was sold as part of a package deal when I sold off like 60 rare/ vintage guitars to a collector.

• Members

I won't say that I've personally had that experience, and I've played and own some good ones fer sher, but I haven't ventured into their Custom Shop stuff or had one that clearly stood out as the best. (but maybe my '52 RI).

But my stepson, who's a darn good blues/rock/Vai/Satriani, styled player said his personal best ever was playing a Custom Shop version of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster. He said that the tone and depth were like nothing he'd heard before from a Strat.

I can't recall the MAP on those, but IIRC they might have been around $8K. Wiki states they were $10K but that might have been MSRP vs MAP.

But in any case, it was interesting to hear that from my stepson because I tend to be a bit suspicious on how much I'd be paying for all the exacting details of the relic'ng vs the extra quality in materials and tone. But he said it was there in spades.

Archived