Out of character guitars you secretly long for?

Phil O'Keefe

Maybe you're a classic rocker who loves Les Pauls and Strats... but you secretly long for an L5 archtop... or maybe you're a jazzer who has always wanted a Flying V, or a Country guitarist who has always wanted a BC Rich - you get the idea.

What out of character guitars have you always secretly dug?

For me, I'd have to say it's the BC Rich Mockingbird and the Explorer. Both are a bit out there in shape / design, but I've always liked both quite a bit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I wanted a parlor guitar so I built one. I wanted a Weissenborn so I built one. I wanted a long scale ladder braced 12 string so I built one. I wanted a wood tricone so I built one. Didn't really want a mandolin but I built one. Didn't really want an electric guitar either but I built one anyway. Wanted a tube amp so I built one. Decided I needed a jazz guitar so....

You get the picture

• Members

before getting my warmoth strat together, i was looking for a practice "shredding" guitar, and had a look at the usual suspects, i looked very long at a blue 300euro jackson dinky, and while i always hated the look and all about it, i had some weak moments for a ibanez jem...

glad i didn't get either one and went the warmoth road instead

other than that i have no sins to confess... pointy metal guitars are realy not my cup of tea.... :)

• Members

Okay, some may know I'm a self admitted GAS'r and rarely have exhibited restraint, but there was one guitar that I thought was awesome looking, but so far from my taste in guitar tones/music, that I never did pull the trigger, but I was on the verge a couple times of getting one of these.

rzrexpl.png

I damn near bought one just to see it hanging on the wall, but managed to resist. Maybe because I once owned a Jackson Randy Rhoads, nice guitar MIJ with neck thru and p'ups so hot they wowed me, but I was neglecting it and traded it off. I'm just not a stand and play metal guy.

I was probably also concerned that since I'd have to play it classical style if I was seated in my lounger, that I could have snagged my scrotum on some of those barbs. :0

• Members
For me' date=' I'd have to say it's the BC Rich Mockingbird and the Explorer. Both are a bit out there in shape / design, but I've always liked both quite a bit. [/quote']

I agree, but those are models I have succumbed to and own 2 of each. My Mockingbird is a lowly MIK model, but it's the NJ series model, just like this one. It's a beauty front and back.

2d0cdj6.jpg

and an STQ like this one

dftjt7yd1s8nl6zuwqgj.jpg

The second one has more bells and whistles for coil selection, parallel/series etc. and has DD p'ups that come very close to the Duncan Super Distortions, so it's a hot guitar but still very good tone for a more vintage leaning person like myself. The NJ is more classic rock voiced.

For Explorers I have a Explorer Pro Guitar of the Week '07 that has an advantage in that it's a smaller size, so not as bulky. I was surprised how sweet that guitar actually sounds with the ceramic 496/500 combo.

103443-1.jpg

My other Explorer is the original 2011 production of the Dethklok Thunderhorse with the ebony fretboard with vintage designed p'ups. (BB1 & 2 IIRC)

wvyqhccbrj58vraayob3.jpg

Of the 2 of each I posted, I'm probably more fond of the Mockingbird NJ since its more of a vintage vibe, I'd just like to up its p'ups some day so it would sound a bit sweeter in the clean mode, and then I really do appreciate the smaller body of that Explorer Pro over the full size of the Dethklok, despite the Dethklok sporting my favorite Gibson pickups.

But point still taken on this thread with my post. None of these guitars "are me" but for Explorers and Mockingbirds, I just couldn't help myself.

Along a similar vein, I also grabbed a BC Rich Eagle with a sparkle black finish and Bigsby when MF was blowing them out. I do find the BC Rich's to have been good solid guitars, but indeed they are more geared towards the harder rockers and metal fans than me.

• Members

Given that I'm primarily an acoustic guy, pretty much any electric is out of character. I like the SG. I generally think Teles are butt ugly but I like the look of the Thinline. I was noodling around on CraigsList the other night and saw a PRS SE Singlecut One. Les Paul style, single P90 in the bridge position, volume knob with treble bleed. Basic meat and potatoes guitar. I like the idea.

• Members

This is somewhat of an alien topic to me and besides I kinda have the guitars I wanted. The only other pieces I might consider would be a real cheap lefty - for the workout and a custom 6 or 7 with no lower horn (Klein - ish) and over wide neck for bending any which way.

• Members

I certainly do like those things , oh yes I do. Obviously, you also do :) yes, I believe that :) I have a tv silver Epiphone the thing is great imho I may get a tv silver V soon , I believe they are still available maybe , or one with the same silver/black "scheme" as the Thunder thing :) maybe soon :) after new year , next year , probably :) Have you ever played a "V" ?

What do you think ?

• Members

I'm primarily a metal player, and have always gravitated towards pointy guitars and superstrats. I also tend, though I hate the volume knob placement, always kept at least one strat around for whatever reason. ( I have determined that if I practice on a strat, and get something solid, it's easier when I pick up one of my Rich's or superstrats.) I've owned a bunch of different styles over the years, but have never owned, but always wanted, an American Standard Tele and Gretsch Electromatic Pro with Bigsby. I do like to jam the occasional blues and rockabilly songs. I also kind of secretly long for a gold top Les Paul with P90s.

Archived