What pickups use to get this sound in a sg?

Juanvillella

• Members

Sure can, If you use the same amp, same strings, same pick or fingers, same pedals (which aren't shown by the way,) Same year guitar, with the same set up, same cables......

Seriously, see my point here? You'll get real close, but same, never. Each guitar is an individual, just like the person playing it, or the gear they play thru.

• Members
Sure can, If you use the same amp, same strings, same pick or fingers, same pedals (which aren't shown by the way,) Same year guitar, with the same set up, same cables......

Seriously, see my point here? You'll get real close, but same, never. Each guitar is an individual, just like the person playing it, or the gear they play thru.

I can agree with that , actually...like the world close , but never "exactly close" I guess dig ? I believe you do :) I do :) :) experience, actually :)

• Members

most excellent reply imho :)

• Members

Echo, reverb ,chorus are the FX used bridge for EJ . Neck than middle on the 1st one. You really have to know how to play to make these tones happen. As far as pickups go any good medium output humbucker will do. Amp are also important, run it clean as you can.

• Members

First off Juan, don't curse at me. You have an attitude with something I said, then be a man and contact me privately thru the mail here. It just shows people you haven't enough of an IQ, to say something without resorting to the lowest common base.

Secondly, do you have a 65 SG? Play thru the same amp? Use the same strings, etc etc? If not, you won't get the same sound. Can you get close? sure. Figure it out.

• Members

I would look for an SG with Classic '57 pickups to get close to that tone, and I mean, I wouldn't even go with the '57+ in the bridge, just the base '57 Classics. But as others are indicating above, that doesn't mean you'll get there with so many factors at play, but that would be my recommendation to get you into that ballpark. Other models are hotter, bolder or more vibey, but what I'm hearing there is "chimey" so I'd say '57s.

P.S. On that 2nd vid, it could be some vintage PAF pickup, like '57s or BB 1 & 2, but I've seen Eric J. play that song with that SG, an ES 335 and a vintage Strat, it always sounds like Eric J.. His tone is definitely more in his fingers and the rest of his signal chain.

• Members

I used to own a 65 just like that back in the 70's. The neck on mine was a boat neck, nearly the size of a 12 string.

The guitar will sound very different depending on the amp used. I played mine through a 67 Bassman with Altecs which was very clean like that at low volumes, but would get very meaty tones when cranked.

He appears to be using a Fender blonde amp. Not sure what model but it sounds like its got a single 12" speaker, Maybe a Vibroverb or Vibrolux? Its got reverb and chorus. The reverb may be from the amp but theres no way of knowing. His pick and finger pinch technique to do arpeggio type chord patterns is the key to the style. The tone definitely comes from a smaller amp with the bass rolled off. Those SG's normally put out allot of deep tones and he has it sounding more like a fender so he may be using an EQ with boosted upper mids and possibly some compression. Its hard to know just bvy listening because there are many ways of skinning the cat to get similar tones. The amp is cranked and miced so its not the same as an amp played low.

Archived