Fire-Sale Gibsons

Etienne Rambert

• Members

UPDATE: 2014 SGM's and slab double-cut Les Paul's

Cheap

----

Anyone have experience w/SGM Specials, minE-Tune? $449

http://www.samash.com/gibson-usa-sgm...tar-gsgmxxxx-p

What about the single bridge, 2015 double-cut Les Pauls?

$579 for gtr, GForce and h/s case seems a good price.

http://www.samash.com/gibson-usa-les...ar-glpsd15xx-p

---

GC is still apparently blowing out 2017 Les Paul Faded's for $549.

---

Is there something wrong with these guitars?

Sam Ash is blowing them out the door

• Members

Yes, they're new old stock and inventory that does not move is not an asset. Banks want it moved so steep discounts keep the write-downs in the least damaging range. This is a survival measure for the store and no reflection on the goods, though I claim zero knowledge about this guitar. Gonna buy one? I'm not.

• Members

Dunno.

I sure don't need an SG. If anything, I need a Mexican Jazzmaster.

But jeez - what a price! Hard shell case and G-Force included.

Wow - I just noticed GC is blowing out 2017 Les Paul Faded's for $549.

I own one of these and I love mine. My repair guy told me it played great. He didn't even touch the action. He said it was fine 'as is'. The pick-ups sound great too.

fetch?photoid=32062280

• Members

I have quite a few SGs, and one of my better sounding SGs out of the box was a 2006 SG Special Faded Worn Brown. It has one of the chunkiest baseball bat necks I've ever played (like an early 50s style) and it's a 2 piece body where it's fairly easy to see the difference in the pieces (not great luck of the draw on that issue), but it's one resonant dude. Paid $486 for it from AMS on a similar blowout back in '06. Point being, some of those light finish Gibsons can be big tone for the buck guitars if you're lucky. Plus I'm more of a 490T fan than a 498T fan. I like that they sound more classic rock than hard rock.

P.S. One observation I've had on earlier "Tribute" LPs is that their considerable "weight relief" does have a fairly significant affect on tone and sustain. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider if you're looking for more of the classic LP Standard tone. I've bought 3 LPs that fit that description, gave one away to my son and kept the other 2, but they're now more in my "out of rotation" group, and with prices of new often being available for these blow out prices, they may stick to me like glue. ;^)

• Members
I have quite a few SGs' date=' and one of my better sounding SGs out of the box was a 2006 SG Special Faded Worn Brown. It has one of the chunkiest baseball bat necks I've ever played (like an early 50s style) and it's a 2 piece body where it's fairly easy to see the difference in the pieces (not great luck of the draw on that issue), but it's one resonant dude. Paid $486 for it from AMS on a similar blowout back in '06. Point being, some of those light finish Gibsons can be big tone for the buck guitars if you're lucky. [b']Plus I'm more of a 490T fan than a 498T fan.[/b] I like that they sound more classic rock than hard rock.

P.S. One observation I've had on earlier "Tribute" LPs is that their considerable "weight relief" does have a fairly significant affect on tone and sustain. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider if you're looking for more of the classic LP Standard tone. I've bought 3 LPs that fit that description, gave one away to my son and kept the other 2, but they're now more in my "out of rotation" group, and with prices of new often being available for these blow out prices, they may stick to me like glue. ;^)

One nice feature of the Faded is the 490R/T pickups. My local guitar repair tech really loved the tone.That plus the action was perfect out of the box - he couldn't do anything except change the strings for me when I brought it to him. Plus the Faded weighs around a pound and a half less than the Tribute.

At those prices - they're no-brainers. I would have sprung for an SG. Guess they're all gone though at that price.$549 for 2015 SG Special + hardshell case + G-Force tuners? I almost wouldn't care what the neck shape was.

BTW, I always follow the prices for Classic Player Jazzmasters. They have held steady - despite all the discounts Gibson is giving. The Mexican Fenders should do just fine. Pac-Rim prices must dive though. Put that in your China Construction bank account.

• Members

The two GC reviews on the Tribute are odd. I got my Tribute used about 4 months ago. It is spectacular. Plays very well, fret ends are well dressed and smooth. Everything about the guitar down to the smallest detail was fine. I am not crazy about the thin satin finish, but you know that is there going in so no excuses. Other than that, I love it.

The two GC reviews on the Tribute are odd. I got my Tribute used about 4 months ago. It is spectacular.

I'm not sure which two you're referring to. :idk:

I see about fifty reviews of that model on the GC site. Most of them are giving it 5 stars, although there's quite a few 4 star ratings too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/L...tric-Guitar.gc

Which color did you get? I think I like the honey burst a bit more than the goldtop. I wonder how the goldtop would look with a dozen coats or so of buffed-out clear nitro on the top? :idk: If I knew that would look like an original goldtop finish if I sprayed it and sanded it out, I'd be tempted almost beyond my ability to resist, even though I totally can't justify getting another Les Paul at the moment...

• Members
Yes' date=' they're new old stock and inventory that does not move is not an asset. Banks want it moved so steep discounts keep the write-downs in the least damaging range. This is a survival measure for the store and no reflection on the goods, though I claim zero knowledge about this guitar. Gonna buy one? I'm not.[/quote']

All correct. As I've said before, I'm a big fan of Gibson slab guitars and when I saw the price on these, I couldn't resist. So I now have a LP Special Double Cut that I expected to find displeasing in some way, but which is actually flawless and a hell of a joy to play. Fit and finish are amazing - beautiful piece of mahogany. It is not the most tonally versatile guitar on the planet, but it sounds great and, more pleasing still, it is a truly fantastic player with a fabulous neck. I also really like the oddball 2015 elements on this guitar, primarily the adjustable nut/zero fret. The guitar came with a brass nut, and with a simple email to Gibson, they were nice enough to ship out a titanium replacement at no charge. My first experience with Gibson customer service, and they couldn't have been nicer. I'd have been happy to pay for it. There was nothing wrong - yet - with the brass nut, but I expect inevitably the steel strings will cut channels into it. No bueno. I'm also having fun with the G-Force tuning gizmo.

Anyway, as you've said, no reflection on the goods. Just inventory that didn't move fast enough.

• Members

I have the goldtop. I have always had a soft spot for them, and I got mine in trade for an American Standard Tele so couldn't pick the color, but I love it. I miss the shine and thought of doing exactly what you mention. Then thought better and considered having a luthier do it. Then I asked myself "why do that when you could sell it, add a bit more and get a goldtop already finished from the factory?" So I stopped my daydreaming and decided to just play it. Have a cherry LP but so does everyone else it seems. I have a Tobacco Burst that is pretty but I still like goldtops. Besides, the gold LP looks great in a stand beside my gold top NightHawk. They flank my amp....

• Members

Nothing wrong with a lower price LP or SG, imo. Makes a good bar gigger, or club performer guitar.

Get in while you still can if you want one.

I bough my one and only Les Paul Standard in 1982, it was what I would call cheap.

If I ever get another Les Pal, it's gona be a Les Paul Custom.

It was cheap when it came out and it still ain't.

Gibson should put maple necks on them and not mahogany necks on them.

LPC-WRGH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

• Members

This one has a Maple neck.

I can definitely vouch for my low-rent Les Paul.

It's the best playing & sounding solid body electric I've owned.

Fret work is fine. Action is super. Intonation is right-on. I had my local repair guy go over it and install some nickel pick-up covers. He confirmed it.

This is a nice guitar. At $800 - it was a real bargain.

I can't vouch for the ones GC is offering. But at $549 - if they are as nice as mine - they're a steal.

fetch?photoid=32063084

I can definitely vouch for my low-rent Les Paul.

It's the best playing & sounding solid body electric I've owned.

Fret work is fine. Action is super. Intonation is right-on. I had my local repair guy go over it and install some nickel pick-up covers. He confirmed it.

Do you have any pictures of it with the new pickup covers on it? I'll bet that looks really nice.

• Members

I think Freeman asked why Gibson has model years at all. I've wondered about that too. It seems like a sure money-loser.

OTOH, it gets some players to be interested in buying new Gibsons during the discount season of the model year.

Do you have any pictures of it with the new pickup covers on it? I'll bet that looks really nice.

I just have this one. The nickel covers do look good. But they don't show up well here.

This is a nice guitar. I have no complaints.

fetch?photoid=32062280

Archived