Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another question What guitar that you no longer have, do you wish you still had ? acoustic or electric

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a '73 Tele that was rather unique - it was mocha, but had dark chocolate colored sides, and most mocha Telecasters I've seen don't have that. It needed to be refretted, and instead of having it done, I traded it for a new (at the time) CAR '86 MIJ Custom Telecaster that looked lovely and had an incredible neck on it, but never sounded nearly as good as that old '73. It's definitely one of the guitars I regret selling.

I also had a late '70s / early '80s The Paul Firebrand that I bought new but traded for something else that I really wish I had held on to.

I've learned my lesson. It's foolish to trade in guitars; it's much better to hang on to them and save up for the next one you want to add to the pile. There's less chance of later regrets that way.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I had an early 80's Hondo 935 that I really liked . it looked good and sounded good but the intonation was never right. Most likely the bridge needed relocated, but at the time I had no clue about such things.

Comment

2 my very first electric I bought myself back in the early 70s from a base exchange. The only name it had on it was "Prestige" and it was made in Japan.

Looked exactly like this

And then I also traded off a couple guitars, including a L6S for an original/used MIJ ESP The Eclipse. I wish I'd kept the L6S instead. (I never bonded with that ESP.)

It looked like this but was more of a brownish red color.

That model was/is considered one of the more oddball Gibsons that never really caught on, but it was the closest to vintage name brand electric guitar I ever owned. After that, you jump forward to '83 in my electric guitar collection. But at that time I was not much of a GAS'r and I figured my LP Studio (which had a bit of a wider neck near the nut) rendered the L6S redundant at best. At the time I traded it off, the blue book value was quite low on those guitars, i.e. somewhere close to around $250. Just wish I had it now.
        A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
        HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
        Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
        I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Pretty much a tie for two guitars that I miss dearly. First was a guild Blues90 that I sold when I stopped playing for a while and thinned the heard down. This is not mine, but looked identical.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	32061221

However the biggest regret EVER of all my music equipment was having to sell my Moonstone M80 with modulus woven graphite neck. I paid $5000 for it around 1980, later got married and then was unemployed and desperate for work. I sold it while in poverty for $250 so I could buy my first computer hard drive that I needed. It was a great decision in that a month later my computer experience from college and at home got me a job in IT at NASA which became my life long career, and the Moonstone sale sealed the deal, but I will never be able to get another. Here is what it looked like except for mine having the graphite neck. The burled maple is stunning up close.

Name:	moonm802.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	32061222

Name:	moonm803.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	32061223

Comment

• GAS Man
            GAS Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch! That's like having a beautiful maiden jump into the volcano to save the village, but at least "mission accomplished" so good story ending.

Only one, or can I be realistic here?
          ​67 Melody Maker SG. Had it stolen, and I still have dreams of the guitar.
          ​67 or so non reverse Firebird. Sold it for mortgage payments... sigh
          ​68 or so, Danelectro Vincent Bell Coral Firefly. Again, stolen along with the above MM, and one that I will truly never get over.
          ​65 or so Gibson SG. Sold it, since I could never bond with it. Discovered later on in life that the reason I didn't bond with it, is because I sucked at the time.
          ​Guild M75. Again, I just didn't "bond" with it. (see above.)
          ​Carvin H2. Another mortgage payment, that I REALLY miss.
          I think that pretty much covers it.
          My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
          Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

• crustoleum
            crustoleum commented
            Editing a comment
            I can dig haring "responceabilities" they kind of suck sad, but a true fact of life. May I ask, how did they get stolen ? want to expound ? Don't blame you if no maybe give a "tip" or 3 to others... maybe

ok

Originally posted by Axisplayer View Post
          Pretty much a tie for two guitars that I miss dearly. First was a guild Blues90 that I sold when I stopped playing for a while and thinned the heard down. This is not mine, but looked identical.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32061221[/ATTACH]

However the biggest regret EVER of all my music equipment was having to sell my Moonstone M80 with modulus woven graphite neck. I paid $5000 for it around 1980, later got married and then was unemployed and desperate for work. I sold it while in poverty for $250 so I could buy my first computer hard drive that I needed. It was a great decision in that a month later my computer experience from college and at home got me a job in IT at NASA which became my life long career, and the Moonstone sale sealed the deal, but I will never be able to get another. Here is what it looked like except for mine having the graphite neck. The burled maple is stunning up close.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32061222[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32061223[/ATTACH]

ouch...that thing looks wickedly ok, to me I made industrial valves for NASA, among other things. Ever heard of Dresser/Masonneilan/Fisher/Crosby valve ? Just curious...Lots of "documentation" with those. "Tested" the rocket engines, so I was told...In the contract great job, probably the most favorite, for me.
          Last edited by crustoleum; 09-15-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Axisplayer
            Axisplayer commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I don't know about the valve but that shouldn't be a surprise as a computer geek. I started as a contractor and converted to Civil Service after 7 years. At first I was a computer geek on the bleeding edge of NASA technology, but having made so many first for them in the IT world, they hired me. I worked up through the ranks fairly quickly. No one understood the world on intellectual property as it related to NASA software except for the attorneys. I worked closely with the patent attorneys, export control officials, and counter intelligence to write the national Agency policy for the release of NASA developed software to the rest of the country or the world. It covers releases to other governments, industry, academia, etc. NASA HQ found out they didn't know what they were doing in that area, so they put me in charge of the national Agency team to control those releases under my policy. I sort of created my own job. I got to work with the FBI, intelligence, State Dept, Commerce Dept. and found I was being pinged for answers by Dept. of Energy, USAF, etc. on what they were doing wrong. I loved it and learned a lot about cutting edge technology. I got to play on some of the state of the art simulators while learning about the code that controlled them. Best part was feeling like I made a difference, and there was great satisfaction from serving the country. I can't go into it all, but I had many chances to protect the country, and preserve our economy. I loved my job, but I came home severely stressed with the weight of things most every night. I did it for as long as I could, but 25 years was enough and I retired two years ago so that I could enjoy my last years. I always liked to play and now I have time to. (Along the way I was diagnosed with stage 4 emphysema and a type of asthma.) Don't know how long I have left, but I choose to enjoy the time. I bought the gear I wished I had acquired years ago, and I play with it most days. I don't do well outside in humidity, heat, or cold so I am trapped indoors. Might as well play guitar. :-)

EDIT: Sorry I rambled so much. I didn't mean to write a diatribe, it just happened.
            Last edited by Axisplayer; 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM.

I'm retired , now more time to pursue my guitaring

Comment

I can't spel

Comment

Axisplayer, that's ok me too, sometimes maybe...that sounds like a wicked job...fulfilling, I guess...I was a nuclear quality systems auditor, among other things, worked a number of industrial manufacturing jobs Siebe/Foxboro making control computers, plastics medical devices and implants, industrial switches, restaurants lol I'm retired now...thank goodness...more guitaring time now thank you for your reply....all
              Last edited by crustoleum; 09-16-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I have some "aging" problems myself...getting older...better than the alternative...I guess...maybe
                Last edited by crustoleum; 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• badpenguin
                  badpenguin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not a problem. Had a lead singer who developed some.... "habits", and when I was away, my place got broken into, and ONLY 3 guitar were missing. (Out of 7) Had a feeling I knew who it was, so went over to his place, he was ripped beyond belief, and told me, after a few minutes of, ummmm, let's call it "gentle" questioning, that he took them to a pawn shop in NY, and sold them for drug money. I gave him a choice, he sty on his side of the planet, I stay on mne, he crosses that line, he stops breathing. Heard he died of an OD a few years later.

sounds like my oldest son , a few years back...he's ok now , kind of...something that many...too many , don't come back from , ever...sad He's doing better, somewhat I can only hope he stays :better" ..His problems started with doc 'scripts... ) he tore his arm out of the rotatory cuff , fell off the half pipe at the skateboard park had to have 3 operations to sew his arm/rebuild s..t happens...they can take it all,, but your ability...maybe. he's better now, working...plays Bb clarinet sometimes (was in the school band) several "band" friends, close buddys, musicians...gone...in their 20's sad life...I guess Well, enjoy what you can. If someone I know, kids friends...whatever and something is missing, I try to realize if someone does that they "need" it more than me, maybe pisses me off, I can relate, I'm lucky, somewhat, I stopped that too, mostly cigs , alcohol ,carousing...married wife is great woman imho...saved all that which had gone up in smoke, to pursue...guitaring...don't miss that s..t , too much guitars are better...to me. that such s life...Some have no sympathy...I say "70 + 7" dig...sucks. you can always get back...some poor souls...can't
                Last edited by crustoleum; 09-15-2017, 11:58 PM.

Comment

it hasn't happened in a while. thankfully...hope it never does , again...I think you all can relate

Comment

trussart steelphonic

gretsch duo jet

national resolectric

early 80s MIJ Ibanez AS50... super 58 pickups.... fantastic guitar

Comment

• Axisplayer
                      Axisplayer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Love the Gretsch. Beautiful guitars.

• crustoleum
                      crustoleum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      MS those are some fine things indeed. Maybe I missed it , but why did you part ? "life" I can understand Have you replaced ? With what ? thanks for the reply those are some nice things

Welp...
                    After searching my memory, I can only think of one, but I couldn't have known. It was a 1978 Norman B-30 acoustic. I traded a tapedeck for it in 1979. At that time, I had 'no fixed address,' basically lived in a park in the summer, friends' couches and empty apartments during the winter. Through that interval, all I had was a small bag of clothing and that guitar. I could usually earn enough for some food with the guitar, as well as 'party favors.' A guitar takes a beating under such conditions (so do people). I didn't get a case for it until I got off the street over a year later. By 2004, when I left Canada for Germany, it was a mess. The back was coming off, and there was a patch on the back upper bout that was disintegrating. The top had a good crack, as well. Finally, at least one of the braces inside was loose, so any attempt to play the lower strings resulted in terrible vibrations that made playing the thing a waste of time.

So, I left it in Canada when I moved here. Just left it in the closet.

Fast-forward a few years, and I meet a luthier who'd been doing his thing for over 30 years. It is a fact that he could've restored that guitar, and I wouldn't have particularly worried about the cost either, as he was very fair in what he charged. I couldn't have known, and moving stuff across the ocean is expensive. But I still wish I had that guitar.
                    "The Philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

Karl Marx

Comment

I often think of his Agile thing I had 15 years ago, sound was unreal, but had a slight buzz/"rasp" on the B string, thing was simply unreal , actually got a Epiphone lp, maybe the 2 yellow ones , and a nice little red Epiphone LP...sweet thing I posted pics of, may do again the thing was well , look at it
                    Last edited by crustoleum; 09-16-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X