Having a hard time choosing between 3 electrics, please help!

smathis

• Members

The title says it all. I would appreciate any insight from electric players far more experienced than myself. The guitars are:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-modern-player-telecaster-thinline-deluxe-electric-guitar/h76270000002001

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEStd245TSB

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-arz-series-arz200fm-electric-guitar/j31271000003000

I'm not comfortable with spending more than 500 right now, so I'm also open to any other suggestions if you guys (and gals) know of a good quality guitar for that price. I don't need anything fancy or full of features, just a playable instrument that sounds decent.

• Members

Depends. They're all three decent guitars. I would lean towards the Ibanez or the Tele myself. The PRS has a fat neck which I personally hate. The Ibanez is going to be slightly slimmer, and it has 24frets so it's a little more versatile for some things and I like the scale length. The Tele has a modern neck, which I also find fairly comfortable. It really depends on which is more comfortable to you, so if you get a chance to play one or all, that'd be the best thing. If you can't, how large are your hands? Large? Either of the three. More average, smaller - #1 or #2.

• Members

Can you actually play any of them first? Your profile doesn't say where you are so I don't know what's nearby. Do you know what to look for in a used guitar? If so, don't overlook CraigsList or your local equivalent. My own electric came from a pawn shop.

• Members
Can you actually play any of them first? Your profile doesn't say where you are so I don't know what's nearby. Do you know what to look for in a used guitar? If so' date=' don't overlook CraigsList or your local equivalent. My own electric came from a pawn shop.[/quote']

​I live in a rural area in Illinois, the closest music store or pawn shop that sells music gear is about an hour away. I'm fine with buying used, but the craigslist option in my area doesn't have any good options. With my work and family schedule, buying over the internet is my best option.

• Members
What type of music do you play? Is single coil hum an issue?

​I play a bit of everything (I'm not good at everything, more like 'good enough'). I've been an acoustic strummer/fingerpicking guy for 15 years, and am trying to break into the world of electrics. I've had electrics before, but never ended up playing them that much due to a passion for acoustics. I'm wanting to be able to get better at leads, specifically blues leads.

​I'd prefer not to have the hum of a single coil. The only reason I included the Fender is because the P90s sound so good, and I love the way tele's look.

• Members

​I play a bit of everything (I'm not good at everything, more like 'good enough'). I've been an acoustic strummer/fingerpicking guy for 15 years, and am trying to break into the world of electrics. I've had electrics before, but never ended up playing them that much due to a passion for acoustics. I'm wanting to be able to get better at leads, specifically blues leads.

​I'd prefer not to have the hum of a single coil. The only reason I included the Fender is because the P90s sound so good, and I love the way tele's look.

Now you've done it. I have a Squier Telecaster that I upgraded to noiseless pickups and that's my number one favorite go to guitar.

The simplicity of a Telecaster is it's beauty, for me anyway

• Members

Now you've done it. I have a Squier Telecaster that I upgraded to noiseless pickups and that's my number one favorite go to guitar.

The simplicity of a Telecaster is it's beauty, for me anyway

That Tele does look pretty hot, but then again, so does the PRS. But for me, it would come down to how they each sound and play - for me, looks are a lower priority than both of those.

They all look like nice guitars - unfortunately I haven't tried any of those three models, so I really couldn't say what they play or sound like.

Have you looked for / listened to the YouTube demos?

• Members

If you really dig the Tele and P90s, but don't want hum, could order a cheap AxeTek p90, knock the magnet off, or magnets out, and wire it as a dummy. If you're feeling extra froggy, add a coil tap to take it in or out of the signal, or a superswitch to add the dummy in series, parallel, or out of the signal. That way, if you want to use the P90s wide open, you can.

• Members

PRS imports are rather nice. I have a fat/wide neck on my Custom 22 and although I don't have huge paws I choose the fat/wide neck over the think PRS neck.

I personally love tele's and own a few, however mine have the traditional tele pickups.I would expect P90's in a tele to be much darker than the trad tele pups.

All depends on what kind of music you play, and what amp you plan on running your guitar through.

• Members
That Tele does look pretty hot, but then again, so does the PRS. But for me, it would come down to how they each sound and play - for me, looks are a lower priority than both of those.

They all look like nice guitars - unfortunately I haven't tried any of those three models, so I really couldn't say what they play or sound like.

Have you looked for / listened to the YouTube demos?

I have looked extensively for months on YouTube for sound demos, which has helped me to narrow it to these three guitars. I've played my uncle's PRS, I've owned a few Ibanez guitars, and I've played a few telecasters at the closest GC to me. I liked them all quite a bit, and I'm surprised at the quality of guitars in this price range.

If you really dig the Tele and P90s, but don't want hum, could order a cheap AxeTek p90, knock the magnet off, or magnets out, and wire it as a dummy. If you're feeling extra froggy, add a coil tap to take it in or out of the signal, or a superswitch to add the dummy in series, parallel, or out of the signal. That way, if you want to use the P90s wide open, you can.

​I have to confess, since I'm a newbie to the electric realm, I only understood about 10% of that. Sure sounded good though. :lol:

PRS imports are rather nice. I have a fat/wide neck on my Custom 22 and although I don't have huge paws I choose the fat/wide neck over the think PRS neck.

I personally love tele's and own a few, however mine have the traditional tele pickups.I would expect P90's in a tele to be much darker than the trad tele pups.

All depends on what kind of music you play, and what amp you plan on running your guitar through.

I actually don't even have an amp yet. I have a Zoom G3n processor with a headphone out, since 90% of my playing is at home after the family is in bed. Anywhere else I would go to has an amp in-house. I think I'm leaning towards the PRS, but I'm surprised at the apparent quality of guitars in this price range. So many options!

• Members

I have looked extensively for months on YouTube for sound demos, which has helped me to narrow it to these three guitars. I've played my uncle's PRS, I've owned a few Ibanez guitars, and I've played a few telecasters at the closest GC to me. I liked them all quite a bit, and I'm surprised at the quality of guitars in this price range.

​I have to confess, since I'm a newbie to the electric realm, I only understood about 10% of that. Sure sounded good though. :lol:

I actually don't even have an amp yet. I have a Zoom G3n processor with a headphone out, since 90% of my playing is at home after the family is in bed. Anywhere else I would go to has an amp in-house. I think I'm leaning towards the PRS, but I'm surprised at the apparent quality of guitars in this price range. So many options!

I have played a few PRS imports and they do a very nice job.

I think you will be happy with that guitar. Personally I'd get the Cherry finish one. :D

MF is out of stock, but Sweetwater has the cherry in stock. :D

I have order from both places, but order more from MF.

• Members

I have played a few PRS imports and they do a very nice job.

I think you will be happy with that guitar. Personally I'd get the Cherry finish one. :D

MF is out of stock, but Sweetwater has the cherry in stock. :D

I have order from both places, but order more from MF.

​I'm pretty taken by the tobacco sunburst finish that Sweetwater is offering, I love the brown look and the wood grain. Thanks to you and everyone for your help!

• Members
​I live in a rural area in Illinois' date=' the closest music store or pawn shop that sells music gear is about an hour away. I'm fine with buying used, but the craigslist option in my area doesn't have any good options. With my work and family schedule, buying over the internet is my best option.[/quote']

I feel your pain. I grew up in Centralia, if you know where that is, and other than the local music store, which was more into band instruments beyond a few Epiphones, and Jimmy's Pawn Shop, which didn't always have much of a selection, the nearest real place to find guitars was Fenton's in Mt. Vernon, a shop that once sold a Rickenbacker to George Harrison. Personally I bought an Alvarez acoustic there. Anyway, it looks like you're leaning toward the PRS. If you've played a PRS and it felt okay you'll be fine with the SE 245. Best of luck.

• Members

I would get the tele.

Nor the ibanez nor the pre look good to me, and in superficial like that. :D that I haven't enjoyed a single PRS I've played yet, but that's just my experience.

I just bought a G&L Tribute ASAT, and would heavily recommend it - even though the fret work was quite poor on mine. No sharp frets, just a number of frets not fully pressed in in places. So trying them out might be a good idea before to buy.

• Members

I feel your pain. I grew up in Centralia, if you know where that is, and other than the local music store, which was more into band instruments beyond a few Epiphones, and Jimmy's Pawn Shop, which didn't always have much of a selection, the nearest real place to find guitars was Fenton's in Mt. Vernon, a shop that once sold a Rickenbacker to George Harrison. Personally I bought an Alvarez acoustic there. Anyway, it looks like you're leaning toward the PRS. If you've played a PRS and it felt okay you'll be fine with the SE 245. Best of luck.

Thanks. I'm actually less than an hour from Centralia, small world!

• Members

Personally, I'd be attracted to the Fender myself BUT! that guitar would tend to be a bit bright sounding so it may not be as "universal" of a tone as you might like - i.e. depending upon your style preference. I prefer a solid slab of mahogany under a set of P-90s to balance them out with a bit more warmth and depth. I've bought a few PRS SEs (5 of them) and found their tone to be bland, but some of the sig models have a bit better sounding pickups. I've recently had some good luck with Yamaha models, but I've never played the one you posted.

If you're interested, I could sell you a gently used Gibson SG Special Faded Worn Brown for about the same price (or a hair less). I also have a spare trans blue Schecter C-1 Classic with Duncan p'ups in new condition I could spare for around the same coin. And it's not like I'm trying to dump cargo, but I've just got too many guitars so I need to thin out duplicates. And both would included gig bags. Frankly I've got a larger inventory than most guitar stores unless you include GCs. My GAS will die when I do. ;^)

• Members
If you're interested' date=' I could sell you a gently used Gibson SG Special Faded Worn Brown for about the same price (or a hair less). I also have a spare trans blue Schecter C-1 Classic with Duncan p'ups in new condition I could spare for around the same coin. And it's not like I'm trying to dump cargo, but I've just got too many guitars so I need to thin out duplicates. And both would included gig bags. Frankly I've got a larger inventory than most guitar stores unless you include GCs. My GAS will die when I do. ;^)[/quote']

​I really appreciate the offer, but I'll have to thankfully decline, as I'm not much of a fan of the SG or Stratocaster shaped guitar bodies. I bet they sound good, though.

• Members

​I really appreciate the offer, but I'll have to thankfully decline, as I'm not much of a fan of the SG or Stratocaster shaped guitar bodies. I bet they sound good, though.

I used to think the SG was a bit freaking looking myself, that is until I bought one and started playing it.

I actually like them in many ways better than Les Pauls.

I bought my first SG Standard new back in 1980. I still have the guitar too. My second SC is the Classic with P90 pups.

Good stuff.

• Members

​I live in a rural area in Illinois, the closest music store or pawn shop that sells music gear is about an hour away. I'm fine with buying used, but the craigslist option in my area doesn't have any good options. With my work and family schedule, buying over the internet is my best option.

I suspect a road trip would be your even better best option. Maybe someplace where there's both GCs and Sam Ash stores, maybe some other local places... Overnight trip, if necessary.

Play 8-10 different makes/models, you may find one family sounds better than the others, without regard to specs on paper (although electric sounds are heavily influenced by whatever amp they're going through at the time)...

Play 2 or 3 different guitars -- same make, model, strings, etc. -- and you may find one feels better than the others.

-D44

• Members

I suspect a road trip would be your even better best option. Maybe someplace where there's both GCs and Sam Ash stores, maybe some other local places... Overnight trip, if necessary.

Play 8-10 different makes/models, you may find one family sounds better than the others, without regard to specs on paper (although electric sounds are heavily influenced by whatever amp they're going through at the time)...

Play 2 or 3 different guitars -- same make, model, strings, etc. -- and you may find one feels better than the others.

-D44

​That is a great option, but if I wait for the time between family and work to do that, it would be weeks or months down the road. I would rather just go online and buy and deal with returns that way if needed. I agree with what you said about amp tone, I would rather buy an expensive amp and a mid-ranged guitar (hence my $500 limit). I don't currently own an amp yet, but I'm going to save for that next.

Archived