Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a hard time choosing between 3 electrics, please help!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post

I have played a few PRS imports and they do a very nice job.

I think you will be happy with that guitar. Personally I'd get the Cherry finish one.

MF is out of stock, but Sweetwater has the cherry in stock.
    I have order from both places, but order more from MF.
    ​I'm pretty taken by the tobacco sunburst finish that Sweetwater is offering, I love the brown look and the wood grain. Thanks to you and everyone for your help!
    Last edited by smathis; 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM.
    Martin D-15
    ​Breedlove C250/CMe
    PRS SE Standard 245

"Everything I've ever done was out of fear of being mediocre." -Chet Atkins

Comment

Originally posted by smathis View Post

​I'm pretty taken by the tobacco sunburst finish that Sweetwater is offering, I love the brown look and the wood grain. Thanks to you and everyone for your help!

Enjoy.

I think you will like it a lot.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

​I live in a rural area in Illinois, the closest music store or pawn shop that sells music gear is about an hour away. I'm fine with buying used, but the craigslist option in my area doesn't have any good options. With my work and family schedule, buying over the internet is my best option.
        I feel your pain. I grew up in Centralia, if you know where that is, and other than the local music store, which was more into band instruments beyond a few Epiphones, and Jimmy's Pawn Shop, which didn't always have much of a selection, the nearest real place to find guitars was Fenton's in Mt. Vernon, a shop that once sold a Rickenbacker to George Harrison. Personally I bought an Alvarez acoustic there. Anyway, it looks like you're leaning toward the PRS. If you've played a PRS and it felt okay you'll be fine with the SE 245. Best of luck.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I would get the tele.

Nor the ibanez nor the pre look good to me, and in superficial like that. that I haven't enjoyed a single PRS I've played yet, but that's just my experience.

I just bought a G&L Tribute ASAT, and would heavily recommend it - even though the fret work was quite poor on mine. No sharp frets, just a number of frets not fully pressed in in places. So trying them out might be a good idea before to buy.
          Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
            I feel your pain. I grew up in Centralia, if you know where that is, and other than the local music store, which was more into band instruments beyond a few Epiphones, and Jimmy's Pawn Shop, which didn't always have much of a selection, the nearest real place to find guitars was Fenton's in Mt. Vernon, a shop that once sold a Rickenbacker to George Harrison. Personally I bought an Alvarez acoustic there. Anyway, it looks like you're leaning toward the PRS. If you've played a PRS and it felt okay you'll be fine with the SE 245. Best of luck.
            Thanks. I'm actually less than an hour from Centralia, small world!
            Martin D-15
            ​Breedlove C250/CMe
            PRS SE Standard 245

Comment

Personally, I'd be attracted to the Fender myself BUT! that guitar would tend to be a bit bright sounding so it may not be as "universal" of a tone as you might like - i.e. depending upon your style preference. I prefer a solid slab of mahogany under a set of P-90s to balance them out with a bit more warmth and depth. I've bought a few PRS SEs (5 of them) and found their tone to be bland, but some of the sig models have a bit better sounding pickups. I've recently had some good luck with Yamaha models, but I've never played the one you posted.

If you're interested, I could sell you a gently used Gibson SG Special Faded Worn Brown for about the same price (or a hair less). I also have a spare trans blue Schecter C-1 Classic with Duncan p'ups in new condition I could spare for around the same coin. And it's not like I'm trying to dump cargo, but I've just got too many guitars so I need to thin out duplicates. And both would included gig bags. Frankly I've got a larger inventory than most guitar stores unless you include GCs. My GAS will die when I do. ;^)
              A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by GAS Man View Post
                If you're interested, I could sell you a gently used Gibson SG Special Faded Worn Brown for about the same price (or a hair less). I also have a spare trans blue Schecter C-1 Classic with Duncan p'ups in new condition I could spare for around the same coin. And it's not like I'm trying to dump cargo, but I've just got too many guitars so I need to thin out duplicates. And both would included gig bags. Frankly I've got a larger inventory than most guitar stores unless you include GCs. My GAS will die when I do. ;^)
                ​I really appreciate the offer, but I'll have to thankfully decline, as I'm not much of a fan of the SG or Stratocaster shaped guitar bodies. I bet they sound good, though.
                Martin D-15
                ​Breedlove C250/CMe
                PRS SE Standard 245

Comment

​I really appreciate the offer, but I'll have to thankfully decline, as I'm not much of a fan of the SG or Stratocaster shaped guitar bodies. I bet they sound good, though.

I used to think the SG was a bit freaking looking myself, that is until I bought one and started playing it.

I actually like them in many ways better than Les Pauls.

I bought my first SG Standard new back in 1980. I still have the guitar too. My second SC is the Classic with P90 pups.

Good stuff.

Comment

• GAS Man
                    GAS Man commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree. At first I didn't care for the SG looks, but I indeed got over that. While I do like the looks of a LP, I figure if I were a blind man (going my feel and sound alone) I'd probably choose an SG 4 out of 5 times over a L.P. I like that their tone is more spanky/vibey, like if a Fender and a Gibson LP had a baby. Plus they are comfy critters. I got about a dozen of the dern things + a couple Epi versions. My bad. I also have that Classic with the P90s but later got a '60s Tribute SG (thin finish) with P-90s that's a bit more vibey than the particular select I got from MF on that Classic. It's still often the luck of the draw.

And indeed, comparing an SG vs an LP Special (both all mahogany) it's easy to hear the difference the thinner slab makes.

​I live in a rural area in Illinois, the closest music store or pawn shop that sells music gear is about an hour away. I'm fine with buying used, but the craigslist option in my area doesn't have any good options. With my work and family schedule, buying over the internet is my best option.

I suspect a road trip would be your even better best option. Maybe someplace where there's both GCs and Sam Ash stores, maybe some other local places... Overnight trip, if necessary.

Play 8-10 different makes/models, you may find one family sounds better than the others, without regard to specs on paper (although electric sounds are heavily influenced by whatever amp they're going through at the time)...

Play 2 or 3 different guitars -- same make, model, strings, etc. -- and you may find one feels better than the others.

-D44
                  ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
                  - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
                  - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
                  - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
                  Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer44 View Post

I suspect a road trip would be your even better best option. Maybe someplace where there's both GCs and Sam Ash stores, maybe some other local places... Overnight trip, if necessary.

Play 8-10 different makes/models, you may find one family sounds better than the others, without regard to specs on paper (although electric sounds are heavily influenced by whatever amp they're going through at the time)...

Play 2 or 3 different guitars -- same make, model, strings, etc. -- and you may find one feels better than the others.

-D44
                    ​That is a great option, but if I wait for the time between family and work to do that, it would be weeks or months down the road. I would rather just go online and buy and deal with returns that way if needed. I agree with what you said about amp tone, I would rather buy an expensive amp and a mid-ranged guitar (hence my $500 limit). I don't currently own an amp yet, but I'm going to save for that next.
                    Martin D-15
                    ​Breedlove C250/CMe
                    PRS SE Standard 245

Comment

​That is a great option, but if I wait for the time between family and work to do that, it would be weeks or months down the road. I would rather just go online and buy and deal with returns that way if needed. I agree with what you said about amp tone, I would rather buy an expensive amp and a mid-ranged guitar (hence my $500 limit). I don't currently own an amp yet, but I'm going to save for that next.
                      Sweetwater.

Ask your sales person which of the 3 pesent the fewest problems.
                      Then tell him or her to personally pick the best one in stock of the
                      model you decide to buy.

I did & it worked. They double the warranty and give free shipping too.
                      I can pm you the email of my sales guy if you don't already have one.

FWIW, SW is within a days' drive of where you live.
                      Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM.
                      He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

Its a toss up. If you don't own a Paul or Tele then those might be good options for a collection. I'd be less likely to buy a Tele with two P90's vs one in the neck position, reason being without a standard Tele's Bridge pickup and bridge the instruments too much like a Custom Tele build and you loose most of its notable twang. Customs that have the original Split pole pickups can sound really good but my buddy has a reissue which sucks for tone.

I've done several Tele builds using Mini Humbuckers which I really like but they are a cross between a Gibson and Tele in tone. P90's would give you something similar with less drive. If that's the tone you want then definitely go for it. It will sound like a cross between a LP Junior and Tele.

Ibanez guitars are built well and have fast playing necks. Their tone tends to be generic. Not sure how well they do on a LP build. Its allot of weight to wear on your shoulder unless you know its something you want. I have an actual LP but I don't play it live allot because it's like wearing a cinder block.

I think the PRS is the best buy for the money. Its got all the modern elements and the necks are actually the best part about them. My buddy bought one of their budget models. I did a little tweaking for him to adjust the action. That's a common thing you have to do on most mail order instruments, especially imports. They are one of the better import builds out there, much better then Fender or Ibanez in that price range. Build quality isn't always the deciding factor of course. Tone and ascetics play a big role in instrument choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer44 View Post

-D44

I used to do that, and would head off to 48th Street in NYC.

Manny's ( now gone), Sam Ash and about a dozen other guitar shops and paw shops lined that street.

I could play everything and I would see what hit me the hardest.

When I bought my PRS CU22, I got that from the GC. I played a dozen PRS's not just CU22's, and picked the one I liked the best. I was pretty much set on a McCarty PRS, so you really never do know till you get a guitar in hand.

I mail order most stuff these days, but my tastes for instrument purchases got pretty costly. Even still I ask for good photo's, and like to see a few different versions of the same guitar.

Comment

I actually ordered the PRS a couple hours ago from Sweetwater. We'll see what happens. Again, thank you all for your insight, this is a great resource of information, especially for the less experienced like myself.
                            Martin D-15
                            ​Breedlove C250/CMe
                            PRS SE Standard 245

Comment

I actually ordered the PRS a couple hours ago from Sweetwater. We'll see what happens. Again, thank you all for your insight, this is a great resource of information, especially for the less experienced like myself.
                              Cool. Let us know what you think once it arrives and you have a chance to play it. If it's not too late you might add a Vox Amplug to your order until you can get an amp: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...plug&Go=Search
                              Last edited by DeepEnd; 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM.
                              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                              Member of the Schecter Society
                              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Working...
                              X