So here's something cool

satmanjf@gmail.com

• Members

Hard to say what the tape is there for but a decent set of tuners wouldn't hurt. Make sure you buy a set that fit the existing holes. As for Fender pickups, you can easily pay $200 for a set. The Tex Mex set is around $70 and it's probably comparable to what you'd find on a MIM Strat. Whether you'd like them any better is unknown. (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-tex-mex-pickups-set-of-3.)

• Members

Wow, impressive!

"Decent" tuners can be had for cheap. 20-30 bucks, 60 for a "name brand".

And yes, you could go and buy the American set of pickups, but why? if you are going to do the complete upgrade, don't forget the bridge, which is the cheapest POC they can get, and the electronics, which again, they buy for pennies. You can get a decent set of pickups, from ebay, and yes, Chinese, for 40 bucks. They have a humbucker in single size, that sound great, and with a series/parallel switch, can do convincing "quack" tones at 2 and 4.

I guess the main point it, how much do you want to pay for a "free" guitar?

• Members

PUPS are your call. Since it is a Squire, unless you are in love with it, live with what you got for a while. You may find you hate it, and then you will have money invested in it. However, whether it is free or $5000, nothing is more irritating than a guitar that won't stay in tune. Get a reasonably good set of tuners, but don't go crazy. If you find you love it, you can always add nicer pups later.

• Members

For just a hair over $100 you can do a Mighty Mite trem replacement and new tuning machines. That's where I'd start, and probably stay for a bit. The standard pot metal bridges are notorious for seizing the ball ends of the strings. You might look at GFS for a good budget friendly loaded pickguard. A lot of their stuff is pretty killer

• Members

My rule of thumb is that if I really like the neck then it is worth playing with the other stuff. If the neck feels wrong for you find a nephew you like and give them a present.

Re the (no photo?) tape

I have a couple of guitars which if I lean them against furniture or into a corner tend to move the tuning key an irritating fraction.

Another possibility (if the tape is on the key) is that he sometimes changes to an alternative tuning live and it makes it easy to flag the "right" tuner on a six in a row.

As a note, if you take out the old pups remember to label them, the middle one will likely be reverse polarity.

• Members
. . . Re the (no photo?) tape

I have a couple of guitars which if I lean them against furniture or into a corner tend to move the tuning key an irritating fraction.

Another possibility (if the tape is on the key) is that he sometimes changes to an alternative tuning live and it makes it easy to flag the "right" tuner on a six in a row. . . .

Yeah, I note we still don't have any idea why the tape is there. The OP says the guitar:

Plays good and stays in tune.

That tells me there may not be anything wrong with the existing tuners at all. Until we get pics and/or the OP removes the tape and tells us what's underneath we're shooting blind.

• Members

I would get one of those "Made in Mexico" Strat trems with a big brass or steel block from GFS. But if it's a Squier Affinity part of the block might stick out the back, because the bodies of the Affinitys aren't the same width as the Squier Standard Strats. Also, to get the block to move freely, you'll probably have to do a lot of dremeling in the cavity.

• Members
I would get one of those "Made in Mexico" Strat trems with a big brass or steel block from GFS. But if it's a Squier Affinity part of the block might stick out the back' date=' because the bodies of the Affinitys aren't the same width as the Squier Standard Strats. Also, to get the block to move freely, you'll probably have to do a lot of dremeling in the cavity.[/quote']

I had similar issues replacing the trem in my Fernandes. I'd recommend the OP simply replace the trem block but they don't have standardized screw spacing (I found that out with the Fernandes too) so the replacement might not fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived