Sg standard( p90) vs sg standard (57 classic)

Juanvillella

• Members

I need a guitar to play cleanly with reverb, chorus, delay.play open chords, fingerpicking, surf. For some psychedelic folk, dream pop, surf-rock, post punk.Sound like brian jonestown massacre, diiv, beach fossils.

One guitar is the gibson sg standard p90 2016 and the other is the gibson sg standard 2017 (with 57 classics)

• Members

If cleaner tones is your things, you might be better off with the P90's. Full sized HB;s can wind up having too much beef and are often better for higher gained tones. You can gain a P90 nicely and with the volume rolled back it cleans up nicely. A gain up HB is great for leads but you roll the volume down they tend to get darker tones.

I get some very cool clean sounds out of my 2013 SG Standard, which has the 57 Classics in it - just drop the preamp gain a bit and you're golden. :) Either guitar can work for clean tones... the P90s will do it a bit easier, while the 57 Classics will need a bit less gain, but will remain hum-free, which is a big plus in some situations.

• Members

I'd vote for the SG P-90. I own two of them, and one is clearly my fave over the other, point being, not all are gems and it's not necessarily price dependent. I also own SGs with various HB configurations, but the P-90s get you a phat single coil sound and I find it's easier to get vibey tones from them (good for surf) and the "edge of breakup" tones seem like they are also easier to obtain without loosing that single coil vibe.

Although I like the looks of LPs better, I like the feel and vibier tone of SGs better and attribute a lot of that to the fact that Gibson was competing against the Fender designs/tones when they came up with the thinner slab bodied SGs, so they were "mission achieved"; and the P-90 config just makes it all that much easier. But if you do go SG w HBs, then indeed '57s or BB1 & 2 would be your best bet for the tones I read you describing. To me, the SG Standards with the 498s need a good dose of overdrive to warm and round them up. OTOH, I'm also a rare duck in that I also prefer HB SGs that have the 490R/490T more so than the 490R/498T configs. The latter works better for harder rock. I'm more into the tones of classic rock, including my love for surf. I also love the BJM and The Mermen.

• Members

In my humble opinion, there is NOTHING better then the chime or that wonderful purr from a set of nice P90s in a mahogany guitar. BUT.... that being said, the sound of a neck humbucker in an SG, is the one reason you buy an SG.

So me, personally, I would go with the P90s, and add a series parallel push/pull switch, that will turn the P90s into a single humbucker. Just for when you want that stadium shaking ROAR.

• Members

I have a SG standard that I love, which has humbuckers, and SG Classic which has the P90's

I just like the 57 Classic humbucker better for just about everything. IMO, they have more high end shimmer, more output and they clean up just fine.

My SG standard might have 490/498 configuration, but I'm no sure, The guitar has been with me for 37 years.

One thing about getting something with an classic 57 is, if in the end you don't love it, you can always drop in a Duncan Phat Cat P90. or 2 of em.

Archived