Incoming NGD.......

Les Paul Lover

• Members

I should be receiving a G&L Tribute ASAT Special tomorrow......

One of Europe's major retailer (bax shop) had a massively discounted B stock (I believe missing box) and I could apply an extra 15% discount...... meaning that I should get a new guitar tomorrow for less than the price of a 2nd hand one......

I didn't take too long to think about it!!!!!

I'm pretty excited. The ASAT Special ticks a number of boxes for me.... including no ashtray bridge , as I don't find them comfortable, and 6 saddles. People can say all they like about vintage correct 3 saddle tele, I don't care for the vintage look, I prefer totally accurate intonation as I regular play chords with open strings all the way up to the 15th fret.

Not a big fan of narrow neck radius and vintage correct fret wire, and here it's a reasonable 9" radius, medium jumbo frets. I prefer radius towards the 12", but am usually happy from 9".

And I'm super excited about the MFD pick ups...... they get great reviews everywhere, I'm really looking forward to trying those through my amps!!!!

The wait is on...... :D

• Members

Well I missed the delivery yesterday.......

But drove to the depot after work to pick it up!!!

That G&L ASAT Special tribute is a REALLY good guitar.

The neck is really nice, it looks great, the saddle lock bridge is super comfortable, and is a very neat unit.

The pick ups are the great surprise. They're really really, and something really different!!!!

Lots of smooth treble, full low end (not as much as a humbuckers, but more than any other single coils I've tried), great clarity and full sounding.

Now the catch is...... it doesn't sound like your traditional telecaster - but is as comfortable as one to play.

I played it briefly through my Orange RV50 last night, and these pick ups are great clean, and brilliant with dirt too. Lots of sustain, they're really sweet.

• Members

Thanks, I see now.

So here's a pic of the saddle lock bridge. On the bottom side of the bridge, there's a small screw that pushes all the saddles firmly together.

Once tightened, no movement, vibrations or anyhting.

VsFDR39.jpg

It's a very well designed bridge unit, I like it a lot. Well thought through.

How do we post pictures here?

Q7MibXp.jpg[/url]

Hit the "A" box in the upper right hand corner of the "reply" area, which will open up two rows of icons. Click on the one that is just to the right of the two "chain link" looking icons - the one that looks like a picture with a profile of a mountain and a tiny sun... the "film" looking one (for videos) is on the other side of it.

In the box that opens up, insert the URL for the photo you want to post, then hit enter... you can then add any comments and finish up your post, then just hit the post reply button below, and you should be all set. :wave:

• Members

Yes, im really impressed.

The fret work is really good too.

The only negative is the poor set up.

The neck is a 9" radius. There's a visibly pronounced curve..... yet all the saddles are set at the same height. Unsurprisingly, there's quite a bit of fret buzz on the D and G string.....

I find that pretty incredible.

The intonation isnt right either, but the strings are dead (I got it as a B stock for cheaper than regular 2nd hand price for that model), and probably are the original strings (year of make 2015).

I will change to 10-46 gauge anyway, and would have done a full set up, so not an issue.

I'm still pinching myself at how good a guitar I've managed to buy there!!!!

• Members

Ironically the reason I had the one was the owner wasn't happy with the setup. I don't remember the details but it must have come out OK without any major surgery. What I do remember was keeping it for a few days and playing it - I thought it was a very nice playing and good sounding tele.

• Members

To be honest FK, I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or not...... though i am.

I would have done my own set up anyway.

I'm going up a gauge, so truss rod, intonation will be needed.

But the saddles height not being set to reflect the curvature of the neck..... is just dumb.

And it means all notes on the G and D strings buzz reallu bad. It's pretty poor in my book.

But, I was going to do a set up anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I'm wondering that's why it stayed unbought for 2 years before I took a punt on it as a B stock at almost 50% off new price.

• Members

Mine is a 4 bolts neck, but I can't say if that's the norm nowadays for G&L.

That's a shame about your friend's guitar. Whilst a truss rod itself isn't expensive, the labour cost and possible damage to the finish of the neck make a repair really prohibitive.

I hope that never happens to any of my guitars!!!

I totally understand your friend though.... I love my SG. It's a great guitar. Lots of fun!!!!

Archived