Let's talk Compressors...

steve_man

• Members

I have been using a Diamond Compressor. It is the comp for people that usually hate them. I don't even turn it off a lot of the time. Smooths things a bit, but I like the saggy feeling it introduces, and the singing leads. Other than that, it is pretty much invisible (if you want it to be.)

My main compressor pedal is a custom-built model based on the old Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer - it's called the Sunkist Squeeze. I did the artwork for it and specified what I wanted, and the folks at OL Circuits built it for me.

olc_sunkistsqueeze-lg.jpg

I also have a few others, including a "jangle" modified Dynacomp.

A new compressor that really impressed me when I recently reviewed it is the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Micro. If you'd like to check out my review, here's a link to it.

• Members

I use, and have been very happy with, an EHX soul preacher. On lighter settings, and with a medium clamp rate it fairly transparent. It also sounds good at higher compression settings if you want to use the compression as more of an effect. Really cool sounding for choppy funky type stuff.

• Members

i don`t know if it`s a good idea using a compressor for playing through because it is shaving off your natural attack on the instrument a bit like a condom or boxing gloves .it may become one of those, i can`t play without it cause my natural attack is all cocked up now ,besides they don`t sound good when overdone ,dynamic suckers.

• Members

I am relatively new to the world of stand alone compressors, so my statements should be taken with a grain of salt. I have a JOYO Dyna compressor, that I bought for use with my EH Mel 9. The Mel 9 has an issue with it's lack of dynamic control (if you hit something a little harder, it gets a LOT louder. I mean, stupidly louder!) and I bought to JOYO to help with that. Surprisingly, the 30 dollar comp works well for it, and for evening out some of the higher gain aspects of my playing. Clean wise, it's ok for finger picking, but.. you do lose some of those intended dynamic touches.

• Members

a compressor is the only type of pedal i haven't even tried out ever.

as a small pedal head with 30+ pedals, i never thought to have a need for it. fuzz overdrives and distortion already compress much on their own, so do the amps in nice settings, other things has to do with playing dynamics which i like a lot to play around....

so my question is, why should i try out a compressor? what could it give me, i don't know i'm missing all the time?

maybe i'm really stupid not even trying one out, but so far i really don't know whats to point to do so :)

• Members
a compressor is the only type of pedal i haven't even tried out ever.

as a small pedal head with 30+ pedals, i never thought to have a need for it. fuzz overdrives and distortion already compress much on their own, so do the amps in nice settings, other things has to do with playing dynamics which i like a lot to play around....

so my question is, why should i try out a compressor? what could it give me, i don't know i'm missing all the time?

maybe i'm really stupid not even trying one out, but so far i really don't know whats to point to do so :)

You ask why you should try one out, I ask why you shouldn't?

• Members

The beauty of compression can't be fully appreciated in isolation. It's about how consistent the part is relative to others in a mix. Without one your low end can sound boomy and prevent the engineer from being able to get your level up in the mix.

I suspect that most of the clean tones recorded have some amount of compression added.

Lousy compressors do more harm than good, but great ones used right are sublime. Check out the first link I posted above to hear how good they get in a pedal.

Check out David Gilmour's solo in Another Brick in the Wall - Part II. That's 2 studio compressors, no guitar amp. Sublime and no other way to get that sound.

Distorted tones are already compressed, so you don't need one for that.

• Members

I'm no "compressor expert" just have a Boss model which I seldom use (also want to get a Jangle Box) but other than the jangle effect, I'd say they are also fun to experiment around with to get a bit closer to that "violin-like" guitar tone. And coincidentally as GH is saying "Gilmour".

But I clicked on this thread because I usually fiddle with my Boss a bit and then after a bit, remove it from the chain again, so I am curious to hear which ones folks are liking since I readily surmise there's better out there than my Boss, and indeed others that aren't flavored in the "Jangle Box" direction that I'm also likely to pursue.

• Members

compression in the mix(ing) is absolutely clear to me, but compression as a guitar fx pedal remains a mystery so far to me...

bandwise we learned to balance our sound to have a good "mix" in the rehearsal room, where we got compliments from visitors. also the sound tech at our last gig was very happy because our sound was easy to work with for him and he complimented our sound and my guitar sound more than once afterwards.

we learned over the years to get there and i now have a fairly complicated setup with two different amps in stereo, set "clean" just before breakup, stereo delay and reverb in front of them and several boost, dirt and fuzzboxes (which change regularly) to give push the amps inputs and almost every nice sound i want/need

currently there is no compressor in the chain, cause i never felt the need, or better i don't know exactly what it could or should do there for me...

i looked at the bogner video, sounds nice, altough i fear i play not that mouch clean stuff to justifiy its price tag... and thx for the another btick part II tip i know what you mean. but its a studio application and not a live rig fx...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I bought this unit about a year ago, as I was looking for a 'cheap set' of micro pedals to keep at our rehearsal space. Not a great compressor, and it is a bit noisy. I had it on my micro pedalboard,and replaced it pretty quickly with a Malekko. If all you want it for is a dynamic 'lock', it does that okay [for chicken pickin] but if you want 'squish' or more sustain, this one won't make you happy.

PM me if you are still interested, mine is available for sale ;)

• Members
Okay, been toying with getting a compressor pedal for a while now. I've had just about every kind of pedal in the world, but never one of those!

What do you guys use, and what does it do for your tone?

Thanks!

The JoeMeek pedal is pricey but it's JoeMeek compression.

Lately, I've used my Yamaha mixer's compressor on guitars.

I would not use it on vocals. But it sounds good on acoustic/elec guitars.

It does a fine job on my Les Paul.

Archived