Time for a Re-tube... Suggestions? Plus pup swap...

hellion_213

• Members

Well, it's time to Re-tube the 6505. I've been putting it off, replacing a 12ax7 here and there, but it's time for a full set. I'm thinking of going with Doug's Tubes balanced Metal Set - Ruby 6L6s, Ruby 7025SS HGs in the Pre-amp slots and a Sovtek LPS in the phase inverter (which I'm running now, and have for several years, killer, but is always the first to go). Anybody have any experience with Doug's Tubes? Other suggestions? I play everything from Twisted Sister, Corrosion of Conformity, to Metallica, Pantera, to Skeletonwitch, Slayer, Obituary, Venom, GWAR, etc. Original music is old school thrash and death, so I really need tight and articulate.

Also, and to keep this guitar related, my Beast is loaded with 18v EMGs (81/85) and Warlock has BDSMs. I'm thinking of upgrading the BDSMs, kind of a love hate relationship there. They're Awesome for chugs, Doom metal, Stoner, etc, but not the best for harmonics, squeals, or leads, and while I Love EMGs, I was considering DiMarzio X2Ns or a Pegasus, Full-Shred combination, just to mix it up a little. I really like the Pegasus, but have never tried a X2N. Any thoughts? I've looked at the Dethbucker, and considered Bill Lawrence XLs (what's the good one? Bill Lawrence USA, or the other one?) Everything needs to be available in F-Spacing, which kind of puts the Motherbucker out. El Diablos are pretty killer, but increasingly hard to find. And I'm not a huge fan of Invaders, they're more loose and boomy, inherently mud up with trem picking, the opposite of what I'm going for. Also open to the new Glenn Tipton EMG set. I thought about GFS RedActive Golds, but, really, you can get the real deal for another $100, so I can't see skimping on Actives. Thanks!

• Members

God don't use ruby tubes. They are rebranded Chinese tubes. The last set I tried crackled like popcorn and I barely escaped having them blow my amp. Stick with buying a manufacturers brand. Its much safer.

Chinese tubes aren't inherently bad but tubes are fragile and the longer they spend in transit, the worse it is for they're elements. The leftover tubes of varying quality ship from china to ruby at super low costs where they sort through the duds and supposedly match pairs and ink them with they're logo. Then they get shipped to another vendor who sells them to customers, then they get shipped to you.

Why add that middle man when you can buy from the same vendors direct. If you like Chinese tubes like Sino, just buy the firsts at the same price and avoid the risk of getting burned by faulty leftovers. Ruby tubes are real hissy too, even if the tubes aren't immediately defective.

There are much better brands that cost the same or even less. Do your homework and don't be duped by sales hype. Buy from those who deal with tubes exclusively and know what they're selling. you can even contact them for the best options for your amp.

These two companies are the best I've dealt with. They give honest and accurate reviews and have the best prices.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/6L6-Tube-Reviews

https://www.tubedepot.com/t/tubes/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66-7027

Check out these tube evaluation charts. You'll find them quite accurate.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/6l6gc-comparison-current-made-tubes

http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Product-Reviews/6L6-Tube-Reviews-Chart

Preamp tubes

https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corner/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes

https://tubedepot.com/tube-comparison-tool

I recently retubed several amps. I was able to compare 9 different types of preamp tubes and 6 different brands of power tubes.

I tested 3 versions of Sovtek, JJ, Groove tube, Sino, Phillips, Mesa, Marshall, EH and a couple of vintage tubes I had around like Westinghouse, RCA and Sylvania. The new EH blew the doors off all of them. Louder, brighter and simply had more beef.

I also compared the 6L6 JJ, EH, Groove, Ruby, Unbranded Shuguang and Sovtec. Again the EH blew the others away. For the EL34 power tubes the JJ's did much better but they simply didn't have the beef the Electro Harmonix had. The Sovtec weren't bad, they're power tubes are a good choice. They're preamp tubes are durable but lackluster as are the JJ preamp tubes. The mesa and Marshall are branded tubes. The Marshall are Chinese and the mesa may be Chinese as well.

If you're looking for high output Groove tubes are actually a very good choice. I got nearly 15 years out of my last set and they were still working fine when replaced. Grove matches power tubes in three different power levels, Low Medium and High. if you want clean vintage tone you can buy the low, you want max power shred you buy the high and if you do a little of everything you can buy the medium like I did. Not sure how much Groove has changed since Fender bought them but they are a much better brander of tubes the ruby. They sell direct and aren't shipping them to secondary vendors so you avoid that middle man syndrome I mentioned.

If you want to spend more the new Mullard and Black sable are worth investigating. They're specs were similar to the EH so I didn't bother trying them plus the cost. Haven't tried Tung Sol in a long time. They used to be good Hi Fi tubes unsuitable for guitar amps because of Microphonics but they have been modified for heavy duty use and may be a good choice. The SED Winged C are supposed to be the best 6L6's you can get but very pricey at $99 each. A bit rich for my blood.

• Members

Thanks for the awesome response!! Exceptionally informative! I've got my homework ahead of me! I'll definitely check into the EH tubes.

As an update to the pickup question, I ordered another EMG Kerry King signature set. I really can't see why anyone would not spring the extra $10 for the PA2. Plus, this set comes with a couple of packs of Dunlop 10-52 strings. I've never tried Dunlop's, so it'll be educational anyway. Any of you guys use Dunlop strings? Like them/hate them/go either way?

Archived