Capos.... what's the current champion in your book?

steve_man

• Members

I know that some people think of capos as cheating, but I use them all the time. In fact, I probably have way too many of them. I own several Kysers, a couple Planet Waves, a G7th, and just recently purchase a Thalia. Been experimenting with them all, trying to find the best fit for me.

Of all of them, my Planet Waves, G7th, and the new Thalia seem to be my favorites. Just do not seem to bend notes out of tune as those like the Kysers and Dunolops.

Which one is your favorite?

• Members

Shubb definitely gets my vote. I used a Dunlop for years (great capo in its own right, by the way) but I saw a lot of country and bluegrass players with Shubbs on their guitars so I thought I'd give it a go and I love the ease of use. Snaps right into place, tension can be adjusted, and it's not as thick and obtrusive as my Dunlop. Again, not an indictment of Dunlop, Kyser, or any other company. In my opinion, I just think Shubb does it best.

• Members

Was using Shubb for a long time but recently started using a D'Addario. Although it is bigger/clunkier, it weighs about the same as the Shubb

and is there is no sideways pressure at all on the strings. Slight sideways pressure with Shubb.

The D'Addario is also adjustable.

• Members

I have a G7th & a Kyser. I like the G7th insofar as I find it doesn't pull the strings sharp like the Kyser does.

The Kyser's a bit easier to operate though... I'ts a godsend when changing strings on my Bigsby equipped guitars & mandolin.

• Members

I got one of these back in the day

41ngOKhXWsL._SX355_.jpg

Has worked well over the years (few alternatives) but not so well on smaller necks and things like tenors and mandos. So I got one of these:

Classical-Guitar-font-b-Capo-b-font-Acoustic-Guitar-font-b-Capo-b-font-Elektryczny-Guitarra.jpg

These sell for a few bucks on Amazon if you're willing to wait for the slow boat from China. If in a hurry the same thing sells for around $20 with a brand name on it.

Archived