Pisses me off.

satmanjf@gmail.com

• Members

Not sure if this should piss me off or not but it does. When I learned guitar it was guitar world tabs and playing with friends. Now days kids come home from school, hit you tube for 10 hours a day and learn that way. I had to put in the tab work and figure {censored} out, the internet was not around at that time. To me there's no soul or effort when people show you step by step on videos. Am I wrong ? I still don't use you tube to learn I still use my ears and tab. Maybe I'm just jealous, just seems like the easy way out. Maybe I need to embrace change, just no soul or gratification if you ask me.

• Members

It IS hello Kitty, so it lives.

I understand your feelings on this Satman, but I came from a different school. I listened to a RECORD umpteen thousand times, to learn a part. Tab works, videos work, but to really understand, listen to it. I burned thru about 5 copies of John Maclachin's Mahavishnu Orchestra's .... can't remember the name of the LP, but the song was Dance of Miaya. ( I think.) It's still to this day, 35 years later, part of my warm up routine.

• Members

I'm with Penguin ^^. I started 50 years ago by raising the stylus off a record and dropping it back down to play the same part over and over and over again. If you drag your hand on the record you can slow it down, but of course the tone changes. Wore out a lot of good LP's that way.

I've also gone to hundreds and hundreds of concerts over the decades - the kind of music I like usually plays in very small venues and I would sit up front and stare at the hands of my heros. I remember one time at a Leo Kottke concert I saw how he made a chord that I had been struggling with, went home and the song was mine.

Lastly, I read tab very well and standard music notation slightly. That never made much difference playing the folkie stuff that I was brought up with but its making all the difference try to learn jazz in my old age. Its been a long and interesting journey

• Members

Nobody seems to have mentioned "books". Sign of the times I guess. This was my first - and I still have it :)

1484817539CJD_1.jpg

ps Here is the late Artie Traum live. I really like this.

Back around 1970 we had local folk clubs where this was what you came to see and sat in your bedroom with an acoustic trying to emulate.

[video=youtube_share;nGOxspc3MT8]

• Members

At least you had rocks! Back when I was a wee lad, distortion was made by stepping on the tail of a sabretooth, and new strings were made from the shreds of skin that the sabretooth got out of you! The younger generation don't know who good they have it with their rocks, and lutes, and Edison lamps.....

• Members

Actually this brings up a dilemma that I've been contemplating (and this is the wrong forum). Since I am getting older and don't want to leave piles of "dad's old guitar crap" for my kids to deal with I've been slowly cleaning out the basement. I have guitar method books, vcr tapes (remember those), dvd's and dozens of tab books sitting in boxes in the basement. I started going thru them and making a list, thinking that I would put it on the Acoustic Forum and see if anyone would pay the postage to have it shipped to them. A lot of times I would buy a book for one song (how did EC play Layla?) and of course to view the video tapes you would need the right hardware. Anyway, just musing, sometime this fall I might give all this stuff away. (Its acoustic, mostly blues and folkie stuff, goes way back...)

fwiw, last week I took 15 years of Acoustic Guitar magazine and dumped them in the recycling. Couldn't think of any thing else to do with them

• Members

I'd look into your local low income areas where there might still be active old equipment and lack of access to the Internet. Probably won't get money for the stuff generally, but I assume the primary objective is for someone to get use out of it. Might be like a gold mine to someone.

• Members

I learned by listening to cassettes over and over, hitting play, rewind, over and over. Wore out a Bunch of cassettes and players that way. That and tab books. Nowadays, I have Tab Pro downloaded, and I just look up the tab. They're not all correct, but it's a helluva lot quicker to cast it to the TV and go. Plus, you can listen to it, slow it down, mute different instruments so you can focus on certain parts. Pretty killer. I still buy the occasional tab book, some artists are pretty picky with copyrighted material, so that's about the only way other than spending time with recordings.

• Members

ha ha tab is just as bad , cause you can end up learning stuff wrong if you don`t already know how the phrasing goes and if you can`t read the rhythm. i think people learning their own way is where style comes from. i grew up with vinyl and then cassette many cassettes got chewed up learning stuff.there was always great musicians before tab and youtube

• Members

Kids have it too easy. Both tabs and You Tube makes things simple but I question how well you actually learn things that way.

I still have my Vinyl collection and most of the clicks and pops came from lifting the needle hundreds of times trying to learn the music. The repetition of playing the parts over like that helps you remember every note. Any tabs or lyrics came from hand writing it down, so again its memory reinforcement you don't get if you simply download it.

It also teaches you ear training and how to use your ears deciphering the notes being played and how they are being played. When I played in my last cover band, the younger players were amazed when they played me a song I never heard and knew practically the entire song after a single listen. If I did the same and played an unknown song for them, they'd be lucky to figure out what key the song is in by the end of the playback. Its not that they were bad performers either, its just they never been challenged to learn that way and lack that skill.

• Members
Kids have it too easy. Both tabs and You Tube makes things simple but I question how well you actually learn things that way.

I still have my Vinyl collection and most of the clicks and pops came from lifting the needle hundreds of times trying to learn the music. The repetition of playing the parts over like that helps you remember every note. Any tabs or lyrics came from hand writing it down, so again its memory reinforcement you don't get if you simply download it.

It also teaches you ear training and how to use your ears deciphering the notes being played and how they are being played. When I played in my last cover band, the younger players were amazed when they played me a song I never heard and knew practically the entire song after a single listen. If I did the same and played an unknown song for them, they'd be lucky to figure out what key the song is in by the end of the playback. Its not that they were bad performers either, its just they never been challenged to learn that way and lack that skill.

I bet if I posted this on Reddit in the Gate Keeping or Cringe subreddits, I'd get a few upvotes.

Archived