Is TC Electronic owned by Behringer?

steve_man

• Members

Okay, I'm a big fan of a lot of TC's pedals, but am having some problems with my Polytune 2. Still under warranty, so I went to their website for support... and it took me to the Music Group support site, i.e. Behringer...

Not that Behringer is the company it was 10 years ago, I was just surprised... thought TC was it's own company...

• Members

Wow, that's a newsflash for me, I always thought TC Electronics was it's own company.

Don't panic, all those urban legends about Beringer being lame, are bogas as hell.

I have the 1124 Feedback Destroyer Pro in one of my racks, since 2002 and never had any problems with it, ever.

• Members

As a matter of fact, yes. They currently own MIDAS, KLARK TEKNIK, LAB GRUPPEN , LAKE, TANNOY, TURBOSOUND, TC ELECTRONIC, TC HELICON,BEHRINGER , BUGERA, DDA and EUROCOM.

I do believe that Beringer sucks, but many of those companies don't. They have not been able to ruin them yet.

I don't believe I have heard anyone complain that Midas, KT, Lab Gruppen, Lake, etc. suck. I have heard people say they are not the companies they used to be, but the same can be said for almost every company today. It is a sign of the times, not a sign of Music Group ownership.

AJ, not every piece fails. I had some that did and some that didn't from my first PA many years ago when I needed an adat converter. I sustained a 50% failure rate on a number of pieces. They are not resilient or tour grade. They meet a price point, and if it isn't a critical piece, they can provide some value, but I would never trust them for mission essential gear based on prior experience.

• Members

News to me. TC almost got bought or merged with Gibson years ago I think.

Behringer is good budget gear, but I wouldn't gig professionally with it by choice. My mixer has been flawless for many years though, so I don't have any horror stories unless you count the built-in effects, which are lousy.

• Members

I was a Behringer dealer while living in Seattle. On their own stuff, there was around a 40% return rate for issues with their gear. Remember, that was ten years ago when they were still "creating". I say it in quotes, since their best mixer, is a direct copy of the Mackie 1604.

When their stuff works, I think it's one of the better bargains for gear. Avoid the pedals and the guitars like the plague they are.

Mixers, rack gear, monitors, wonderful pieces of gear, WHEN it works.

I know Bugara suffers the same issues, and I would say roughly 75% of the amps I see, especially in GC, have some type of issue.

TC.... haven't seen any with issues, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

• Members

I've only owned one piece of Behringer gear and it was a PA head in a fixed, cooled installation, never moved, rarely used, and one whole channel died on it. So only the left output works anymore. Based on that narrow experience, I'm in the Behringer is still crap camp.

• Members

That's news to me too......I've only got one piece of "Behringer" gear, namely a 4-channel mixer with FX that crapped out on me after only about 6 weeks of HOME use; had to send it back for "repairs" & it took about 3 months to get a replacement. Don't think I'd ever take it on stage. I use a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic and a Harmony Singer that work great; I've used the Mechanic for pritnear every gig since I've gotten it--our bass player got one after hearing me use mine.

• Moderators

Friends don't let friends buy Behringer....I know they make great high end mixers like the X32, have used them numerous times, but their 'budget' gear is total crapola. I have several TC products [body Rez, Spark, Ditto, H1] only the H1 was a bit of a disappointment, but it is well built.

• Members

I used to be as anti-Behringer as they come. Their gear back in the late 90's/2000's was spotty, at best. However, I think they have turned a corner. Maybe it was the pickup of Midas and Turbosound, but lately they have been cranking out some amazing gear. I have one of their X32 mixers, and for the money, it's the best mixer on the market. Also have a smaller, 16 channel mixer, and it is super quiet, sounds great, and has great effects. Can't say that about the Mackie mixer that I bought first and returned.

Just surprised to see TC in the list of companies they own. Always thought they were completely their own company. Still love their gear, for sure.

I own two Behringer keyboard amps that I bought years ago for my students to play keyboards through in my teaching studio. They work, wouldn't be my first choice if I were purchasing for my own use but they have provided years of faithful if noisy service. I'd NEVER buy any of their guitar stuff to work with.

• Members
That's news to me too......I've only got one piece of "Behringer" gear' date=' namely a 4-channel mixer with FX that crapped out on me after only about 6 weeks of HOME use; had to send it back for "repairs" & it took about 3 months to get a replacement. Don't think I'd ever take it on stage. I use a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic and a Harmony Singer that work great; I've used the Mechanic for pritnear every gig since I've gotten it--our bass player got one after hearing me use mine.[/quote']

My TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 has been back for repair twice in just over a year that I've owned it, and that after the first one arrived DOA.

• Members

I owned some Behringer pedals in my early days along with Boss. They worked, were made of cheap plastic, and didn't stop working even when I eventually sold them. If you buy a pedal for $20 or less, are you expecting quality? I wasn't.

To this day, I have yet to encounter an Octave effect like they produced. It was supposed to be like a Boss Octavia, but it only had bass frequencies with a glitchy tone. Add some distortion and it sounded like a fat bass. My Whammy nor my Digitech RP-150 can replicate it.

Archived