SO I got banned from Strat-talk because I asked when Fender changed the body size on a Strat..

omni

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Body size or body contours? I wasn't aware of a change in body size, but I know there have been some changes in the beveled areas of the bodies over the years. The contours of the tummy and forearm cuts aren't the same on a 50s era Strat as what you'll find on a 70s era model.

• Members

Don't worry about Strat-Talk and such forums. I got banned from TGP for a week just for correcting a persons (not gonna name him) false facts he was touting about.

I like that place but eff the admins there, honestly.

I guess one has to be a person of a /certain/ kind anyways when one wants to be an admin.

• Members

Thanks guys. For some reason, I believe the size has changed. I have had many strats. 1962, got lucky on that one. The 78, had a super sexy body though. It was slightly bigger but nice contours. Hey,, no dirty thoughts! I miss this place. Phil, it is nice to talk to you here again.

• Members

I'm by no means a Strat authority, but I've played and owned a bunch over the years. Have to agree with Phil, I believe it's more in the contours of the tummy and forearm cuts. 80s shred Strats seem a little thinner, but the overall size, i.e. length and width, size of the horns, etc I believe are pretty much the same.

Body size or body contours? I wasn't aware of a change in body size, but I know there have been some changes in the beveled areas of the bodies over the years. The contours of the tummy and forearm cuts aren't the same on a 50s era Strat as what you'll find on a 70s era model.

Thats how I understand it although some of the strats I've had or have tried over the years have appeared or felt bigger just depending on how much finish is on them. And older guitars might have a little shrinkage as well as the wood dries out through thinner or cracked finishes. Very small differences but they might affect someone's perception of the actual dimensions of the body.

Thats how I understand it although some of the strats I've had or have tried over the years have appeared or felt bigger just depending on how much finish is on them. And older guitars might have a little shrinkage as well as the wood dries out through thinner or cracked finishes. Very small differences but they might affect someone's perception of the actual dimensions of the body.

That could easily be the case I suppose. And weight probably plays into it subconsciously too - if a guitar is a lot heavier, you might mentally think of it as being somehow "bigger" in size too. Add in the changes in contours and it would only reinforce that.

• Members

Word of advice from someone who's been banned from many forums: Don't go on another forum to bash the other one. When I had my own boards, I had a rule against doing so. From my perspective, it doesn't make you look like a victim. Most people assume you were banned for a reason, and generally not what you claim.

But I don't pass judgment on you. Out of all the guitar boards I posted on through the years, none are as bad as TDPRI. There's nothing worse than a moderator who abuses their power but also contends their opinion is more accurate. Plus, you have to account for the Telecaster fanbase being a little more conservative because Country music fans are generally conservative. Not even that so much as the hivemind of some boards. If you don't agree with the common opinion, they'll flame you for one post. I've seen that on Harmony Central before.

Out of all the boards, including /r/Guitar on Reddit, this place is the best. The archives are filled with information, occasionally we have long threads, and the added bonus of each individual section/forum having its own culture is pretty cool. You can run into members with thousands of posts who you haven't even seen yet.

That could easily be the case I suppose. And weight probably plays into it subconsciously too - if a guitar is a lot heavier, you might mentally think of it as being somehow "bigger" in size too. Add in the changes in contours and it would only reinforce that.

I think that so much of a player's perception of what an instrument is or does is in their head. It's always interesting to revisit old instruments or amps and see how my perceptions have changed. I like and I think better understand a lot of things I hated when I was younger and really don't understand my high school interest in Charvel and Jackson guitars anymore. Some of it is changing taste and some of it is just experience.

• Members
WTH is wrong with those people? They said I "barged in" I have been a member for 10 years or more.. If anyone knows why or what year' date=' can you answer the question? Thanks. [/quote']

you didn`t say if you thought it had got bigger or smaller . those new strats i can`t remember what they call them but they have a few modern features and are supposed to be more playable for the modern:rawk: type player (don`t know what that`s supposed to mean) they may be smaller ,i don`t know ,it`s been a while since i`ve seen one ,i`ve probs dreamt this explanation somewhere .:bor:

• Members

Strats have many versions now. Everything from US Made pro series to Mexican and Japan.

The necks for sure come in many sizes but I don't think the bodies have changed much. They in fact cant change much because the route for the bridge needs the same body thickness.

If anything the body might be a millimeter thicker on a standard version which has a recessed spring plate, compared to some cheaper versions which have no cover routing and the cover above the surface.

Finishes have definitely changed. Fender was known for repainting several layers over the original to fill orders. This can increase the total body size by a couple of millimeters. Body weight can definitely be different. Something light may make people think an instruments thinner then it is, same with a thinner neck.

The differences between Squires is a whole different story. Something like an Affinity's body is slightly smaller and then a Mexican made body.

I know the neck pocket in my Mexican Strat is larger then may Japan made standard. I tried swapping necks once and it was no go without additional routing.

• Members

That's an unfair comment about admins. Moderators are generally good people that want to see a forum thrive. It's harder than you can imagine trying to strike a delicate balance that works for everyone.

Yes it can attract power-hungry fools, but they don't seem to stick around.

As for TGP they manage with an iron fist because that's their style and they have lots of "precious" rich members that often can't really play guitar but have amazing collections. They'll report you for saying you don't like the colour of a guitar.

I got a PM warning a couple of years ago for something tiny and trivial after being a thoughtful and contributing member for about a year, so I just deleted the shortcut and don't go there anymore.

• Members

I meant different years of production. One example is look at Malmsteen when he played the early 60s Strats the his 70s strats as well as his Sig ones. That's just an example of it.. an idea.

Archived