aria vs ibanez

rpgdude

• Members

Ok, so I found an aria pro II xr series electric with all the original parts for only 79 bucks and I have an Ibanez GRG120BDX , The aria is an 1987 model # 7080276 most likely made in Korea since it does not say "Made in Japan" though some are trying to say it was made in the Japan factory, but I doubt it would be only 79 bucks if that where the case. My question is, even if it was made in korea would it be a better build quality, better wood, tuners and such then the Geo?. The reason I even ask was when I was just 15 I had an aria pro 2 that would eat this Geo hands down, but it got smashed at a party by some ass who thought I banged his girl and I threw it away, no idea what model, I have never had a guitar that I liked as much sense. I can not afford a high end guitar at the moment as I have COPD and can no longer work outside doing the only thing I have ever done, construction. Thanks for the help .

5eeefb922dd7c739332b8d8392f5673d.jpg.563d3a08f61242cf847bfa1783ffe1ad.jpg

019cf577ea1a27151dfc737eab71056c.jpg.6d764d3c0849a2e0c4cf9e8c1991d5b9.jpg

• Members

I don't know that much about either guitar but I'd go with the Aria for sentimental reasons. Plus, the Ibanez is a lower end guitar, maybe $200 new. Bear in mind, the Aria was probably a nice guitar in its day--most of them were--but it's also 30 years old and there may be age related wear and tear. Probably nothing that can't be fixed but something to keep in mind.

• Members

Ok, you want info, here it is.

the Aria was made in Korea, probably by Samick when Matsomuko moved operations from Japan to Korea, and later to China. (Rumor has it that most of the Peerless top execs are former Matt workers.) the XR series was produced as a beginner/starter/bottom feeder guitar, Generally made of plywood, or from the common laminate tree, there are a few models that were made of alder. The neck is the same design they used for the reintroduction of the Westone Spectrum series, and has a nice roundness to it, along with 22 frets. Pickups are ceramic, the strat like trem is the same one on countless guitars thru the ages. But again, on some models there were the Bendmaster Deluxe trems that were a bad copy of a Floyd. (I know this since I have one, and it's pretty horrendous.)

The GIO ( not GEO) is made in China, by one of 7 companies Ibanez uses for their starter/beginner/bottom feeders. Basswood body, mostly made of 4 or 5 pices of wood, covered by an 1/8th inch of epoxy, with a flattened C shape neck, and has 24 frets. Pickups are again ceramic, with the same trem used on the RG120 guitars. (which, like the above, kinda sucks)

As I said earlier,. I would prefer the Aria over the GIO. only because I have played Aria's for over 30 years, and prefer 22 fret necks over 24.

Now, none of that was comparing them to "Top notch" guitars, now was it? And yes, I have had them. (I actually worked for Ibanez for your information, and kinda know their line well.) I wasn't knocking them, just being brutally honest about what they both are: bottom feeders. beginner guitars, starter guitars... whatever you want to call them, without bothering your fragile ego.

Next time, lose the attitude.

• Members

I didn't care that you called them bottom feeders, seeing as I am not a dumb ass and already new they where bottom feeders as it is obvious in the price, I just wanted to know if one was a better bottom feeder then the other, which I thought was clear in my original post and I quote (My question is, even if it was made in korea would it be a better build quality, better wood, tuners and such then the Geo?) So, do you see that your comment didn't address my question at all but seemed to assume Im an idiot and might think a $79 guitar would be top notch? Any way thinks for the info thats more of what I was looking for and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Archived