Advice on either used Guild or DeArmond by Guild

Marc the Robot

• Members

So I've been in the market for a good used guitar for a while now and I'm looking for an alternative to a Les Paul. I've been going 70's Japanese for the last few years (Westbury/Univox) and they've served me well for their purpose but I'm looking for something a bit like an archtop, Les Paul in size and weight, good quality, decent reviews etc, bit more up to date, and I've come across the DeArmond M75T and the Guild M75 Aristocrat. Don't want Chinese or Indonesian; would prefer Japanese over Korean. US is too expensive.

Both basically seem like the same guitar albeit the DeArmond M75T is SUPER EXTRA sparkly and the Guild M75 is more restrained and... well, black. Looks like a very premium guitar. Both are Korean made. DeArmond has - according to reviews - a dodgy 'Digsby' tremolo with option to swap out for a proper Bigsby, has "amazing" US-made D2K pick-ups, and is made out of a combination of maple, mahogany and agathis, and apparently weighs more than Elton John.

The Guild M75 Aristocrat has 'Franz-copy' pick-ups that are apparently 'too bright for Jazz' (though I'm wondering if extra heavy flatwounds would remedy that?), is chambered and made out of maple and mahogany and looks basically like the DeArmond except it has 'Guild' on the headstock. Depending on how you look at either of them, they're pretty but the Guild is slightly less 'blingy' - think posh, Independent Coffee shop rather than high street Coffee chain. Both read on my accountant's calculator as 'reasonably priced' - the DeArmond is slightly cheaper. Guild has a bit more of a reputation whereas DeArmond are obviously "cheapo Korean imports" but is that really fair? They both seem like the same guitar to me but I have no idea of determining which is better and I lack the opportunity to try both out before I buy them.

Fundamentally, I want something that isn't a Les Paul but has a lot of the same qualities, and these two guitars are coming up on my radar quite often when I look. Basically, modern archtop; singlecut-type shape.

Does anybody have any experience with these guitars? Or could anybody recommend any alternatives that are, say, under £1000? Don't want Gibson, Fender or PRS.

Thanks.

You should just go and play a ton of guitars and see what speaks to you. I own two Guilds (1971 x500 and a 1998 dv52) and I feel like the extra money is worth it (I've also had a DeArmond x155 and played plenty of m75's when I worked for a Fender dealer who also sold the DeArmond and Guild lines when Fender owned them) but internet opinions aren't really worth much. You should experience a bunch of instruments and make your own decision. When I bought the x500 last year I was actually shopping for Gibson ES-175's until I picked mine up in a store and realized why I was so unhappy with every Gibson I played.

• Moderators

given teh choice, I would likely go with the Guild. If the p-ups are not what you want, you can change them, easy-peasy. I like the DeArmond MT75, and almost bought a used one about 2 years or so ago, but if I had my 'druthers', it would be the Guild, hands down.

• Members

Normally I would go and try a ton of guitars but where I am is kind of limited for choice of decent shops so I'm relying quite heavily on the internet for answers. I've read a lot about the Guilds and people seem quie surprised by the DeArmonds, and though flawed, are utimately good guitars. I don't expect 'exceptional' for under £1000 but then in Gibson's case, I often don't get exceptional for over £1000. I just want something alternative and both of these guitars tick the boxes but it's a case of which is considered the better buy.

Why would you consider the Guild over the DeArmond?

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32019673[/ATTACH]

This is 1958 M75 Aristocrat, and although it look solid, it is considered a hollow body.

My first guitar was an M65 Freshman (single PUP version of the M75) and it was a great guitar. I also owned a 1956 X500 which I loved. I bought it in 1975 as a basketcase for $500. I spent $1500 in 1976 to restore and totally customize it. I really liked the way it felt in my hands. They were both exceptional instruments. But they were both 50's guitars when Guild was really Guild. Since being consumed by Fender, I feel like they are not the same quality or brand. Originally they were made to quality standards, today made to a price point. I would NEVER buy a new one, but I would say that anything made by them in NYC or NJ would be a great guitar. DeArmonds are not the same caliber instrument by any stretch, although not bad instruments, at a price point. If it was MY money (and several times it was!!!) I would be looking for a 50's or 60's Guild Aristocrat. You will fall in love with it.

EDIT: They are not Les Paul Copies, but Guild did inspiration from them. The shape is different, and the older ones are thin hollow body, although thicker than a 335. They have a great resonance to them. They had single coil PUPS. They were also light. Today, I have two Gibson LPs (1992 and 2017), a Gibson Nighthawk Studio (you should look at them also), and an Epi LP. I would trade any one of them for an old, NJ built Artistocrat in good shape. But they go for about $3500 so that won't happen.

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_125713_1500268914300_436[/ATTACH] Here is another option. It is a Gibson Nighthawk Studio. They are lighter than Les Pauls and sound very good. First a pic and then the link. Fender scale neck on chambered body that is smaller and lighter than a LP. Burstbuckers, coil tapping, and a maple fingerboard that is burned to the color of rosewood. I like it better than my LPs. They are also built in Nashville, not overseas.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-Studio.aspx

• Members
given teh choice' date=' I would likely go with the Guild. If the p-ups are not what you want, you can change them, easy-peasy. ....[/quote']

​Wrong. You'd better like the Franz style pickups as nothing else fits. You may be able to graft a pair of surface mount dog-ear P90's on it but they may be too tall.

• Members

Seriously. If the Guild is within the same price as the DeArmond, get the Guild hands down. You will make your money back if you somehow hate it. And a simple wiring trick can make the P90's Franz pickups sound like a killer humbuckers.

• Members
[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_125713_1500268914300_436[/ATTACH] Here is another option. It is a Gibson Nighthawk Studio. They are lighter than Les Pauls and sound very good. First a pic and then the link. Fender scale neck on chambered body that is smaller and lighter than a LP. Burstbuckers, coil tapping, and a maple fingerboard that is burned to the color of rosewood. I like it better than my LPs. They are also built in Nashville, not overseas.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-Studio.aspx

OP says must not be Gibson or made in USA.

• Members

With that kind of guitar you need to play before you buy, especially if you want a legitimate opinion of how good your new guitar is. Choose the one that feels and sounds right to you. We can't help with that.

You should also play some higher grade USA Gibson and PRS models so you'll know exactly what you're giving up by ignoring them.

• Moderators

Novaks and Seymour Duncan both make replacements...and with a little smart fitting, replaceable...I've even seen Jazzmaster pups fitted to a M75. There are other options; cap values and potentiomer values can make a distinct difference as well.

Either way, the Guild will hold its value better.

• Members

I saw that he THINKS he can't afford USA made, but not that he didn't WANT it. I did see no Gibson, but I took that to mean no LP since he is looking for an alternative to the std LP that everyone and his brother has. I suggest the Nighthawk because it is a LP alternative, not a Gibson-like guitar at all, is USA quality, and at a price he CAN afford. His price range translates to around $1250. He can rule it out himself if he chooses to. Maybe I read too much between the lines....

Archived