Fender American Deluxe neck made incorrectly! Poor Quality Control

mikemike87

• Members

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as a strat collector on what to watch out for. I bought a used 2006 fender American deluxe from Guitar Center. PSA measure your fret markers before buying if it's something you care about being correct.

The fret markers on mine are printed off center by about 1/8th inch. Basically the 3rd fret marker is almost behind the D string but the 9th is behind the G string, giving the neck a very crooked and jarring look like it's not seated in the neck pocket correctly although it is. This becomes super obvious when I do videos close up of the fret board.

This was the response I got when contacting Fender, seeing if they could replace the obviously poorly made neck:

"I just find it peculiar that you'd purchase an instrument that you say looks 'amateur' and 'poorly made'. That dot dose indeed appear to be off-center, and had you purchased this new, we'd be having a different conversation."

- Brett L., Fender Musical Instruments Corp.​

To everyone else I suggest if you're buying a strat and you're very certain about things looking correct and the guitar built correctly, well then watch out for fret markers being way off center like mine.

Pics:

http://i.imgur.com/crgyGgZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MQySTWo.jpg

• Members

You purchased the guitar used. The guitar is 11 yrs old and you want them to replace the neck? Get real. It's not going to happen. The dots are definitely off center but why didn't look at that before you bought the guitar. No the guitar should have left the factory in that condition and yes Fenders QC during that time was not very good.You're either going to have to replace the neck yourself or just get over it.

• Members

I don't think you're being fair expecting them to correct a cosmetic detail more than a decade after they made it ESPECIALLY since you're not the original owner. For all you know that could be a counterfeit neck and a previous owner sold the authentic one off as a part.

• Members

The photo (2) shows 50.5/ 32 width and 26/32 to the dot center so only around 1/24 of an inch off which is not even in 1/8 ball park. The concern here is the string displacement to the treble side.

I'd check that the nut is correctly centered, open the neck joint and check for wood swarf / paint run in the side gaps and if you have a long tee square check the bridge to neck alignment.

I was sent a PM by the OP saying the matter was resolved and I could delete the thread... which I am willing to do (or close it), but I like giving both sides an opportunity to have their say, so if Fender wants to give their side of things, or if the OP would like to give a bit more info on how things were resolved, that would be welcomed too. I'll leave it open another day or two to help facilitate that possibility.

It's not uncommon to hear complaints when things inevitably go wrong (as they will occasionally for any company), but IMHO it's nice to hear about when a company does something to resolve an issue for a customer. Especially in a situation where the company has no obligation to do so under warranty, such as is the case here.

• Members

The pic is a little dark but the dot looks to be centered at the #13 mark counting from either side so it is in the center of the fret board.

The reason its under the string is your strings aren't aligned properly. Either the nut isn't centered/cut right or the neck isn't bolted in straight.

That commonly happens on Fenders when carried in a case. You should loosen the neck bolts then realign the neck to get the strings centered along the edges of the fret board on both sides. If the nuts off too, get a new one made.

• Members
Guitar Center took the guitar back and gave me store credit even though it was past the return date. Thanks.

Mike, glad you got it resolved and kudos to GC. I know we might have seemed pretty hard on you - most of us didn't consider that all that big of a deal but I also know it was important to you. Please don't take our comments as being too critical of you and please come back to our little group with questions or comments or information about you and your music and guitars.

Archived