Volume knob vs Volume pedal .

AJ6stringsting

Volume knob vs Volume pedal .  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Volume knob vs Volume pedal .

• I use a Volume knob only
    • I use a Volume pedal, because my hands are too busy.
    • I use both.
    • I use auto swell.
    • Both my hands are to busy to bother.

• Members

Some people use their volume knobs only to back the gain off for going from lead to rhythm or viseversa. Many will use them for dynamics / tonal ambience to alter the mood of a song , while others use it to emulate a Cello, Horns or Violin effect / dynamics. Some use a volume pedal to get the same effect.

How about you ?

It depends in part on the guitar I'm playing - for example, it's easier to do volume swells with a Strat than with a Tele. And of course, for some things, it's easier to do it with your foot since your hands might be otherwise occupied - so I voted for "both."

FWIW, I have an old Morley EV5-VC volume pedal, which can also be used as an expression pedal.

• Members

Depends on my rig at the time. If I'm just effects+tube amp I don't use a volume pedal, but when I'm using a digital rig I do, because I can choose whether it goes in front of the amp section or after everything. I prefer after for volume swells (sparingly) on leads.

• Moderators
It depends in part on the guitar I'm playing - for example, it's easier to do volume swells with a Strat than with a Tele. And of course, for some things, it's easier to do it with your foot since your hands might be otherwise occupied - so I voted for "both."

FWIW, I have an old Morley EV5-VC volume pedal, which can also be used as an expression pedal.

Unless you do the Bill Kirchen-style Tele plate flip. I did it to my Tele copy recently, and am now developing the swell technique for that set up.

Using the selector is a bit of a challenge because it now sits almost against the tone knob when you are on the neck p-up, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I used a Morley VBO [volume/boost] for many years until I decided there was too much stuff on the floor and I got rid of about 85+% of my pedals [i kept my delays and my original Boss BE-5, Big Muff pi, and Mutron III] in the early 90s. I started just plugging straight in to the amp and using the volume control. At one point I reversed the volume pot on my Strat so it was just an on/off and developed my picking hand's attack to control volume. Once I had that more or less mastered, I put the pot back to normal, and for my blues and R&B bands I plug straight in [occasionally I may stick my Cry Baby in if the song calls for it], and control everything from the guitar.

• Members
I've always used both. I have a Dearmond I have had for decades.

And I am recently working on a tone pedal, since I play with my tone knob a bit more then I used to.

The geezers at TDPRI thought the tone pedal was stupid, but I think it's a good idea.

• Members

I use the vol (what's that anyway?) more as a tone control than anything else. Full or not quite for most stuff and right around 1 for that Dumbly, single coil, bridge tone. Anything active would have to be done with my mouth. Breath and/or bite controlled.

• Members

I can get by using either depending on the rig I'm using.

I usually use the volume knobs for adjusting tone balance between pickups and setting maximum gain use the volume pedal for swells and kills.

Playing live I don't usually use a pedal because I maintain a steady volume and let the sound man adjust my levels as needed including using a solo button for leads. The most I may do is small volume tweaks before the song starts.

I instead use my gain boxes to take me up and down in steps of gain/volume from clean, slightly overdrives, regular drive then highly overdriven. I can use them individually or in pairs.

• Moderators

this brings up a related question, although maybe it deserves its own thread and poll: Aside from traditional Fenders, when you have a two p-up guitar, do you prefer to have individual tone and volume, or just a two know master tone/master volume setup?

I need to have that ability to switch the p-up to a softer setting. I struggle with my Tele copy [one of the reasons I reversed the plate a la Bill Kirchen] so I could get better volume control. I categorically refuse to buy a two humbucker style guitar [like PRS] with only two knobs...anyone else feel that way? I want to be able to set the tones differently and the volumes differently.

• Members

^^^ Try a 4 way switch which allows you to run both pickups in series. When run in series the setting is hotter sounding and when you switch to the neck its lower in gain and cleaner in tone.

As far as preference goes, I rarely if ever use tone knobs, the exception being a tele when the strings are new I may dial it back a little.

Some of this comes from growing up playing Gibson's.

Gibsons are wired with pickups that normally get darker as you turn them down. Fenders often have a bleeder cap that passes treble to keep the tone bright as the volume's turned down. 2 different animals that produce 2 different results.

If I'm needing to change tone I'd prefer to get it from pedals or simply dial it up on my amp.

I'm not linked by the hip to tone bottlenecking the notes I play, in fact its one of the worst things you can do as a player. One thing you learn playing out is your tone is going to constantly change gig to gig, room to room. One night you play in a place that's carpeted and sounds dry and warm, the next you're playing in a room with brick walls and is highly reflective and bright.

You'll go nuts trying to play out if your hung up on highly consistent tone every place you play. The most you might have time for is a little tweaking to get the stage sound good but the audience will simply adapt to whatever the room does to color the sound. Again, If I'm playing live I get myself a consistent sound preferably where he can set the EQ at 12 o'clock in an acoustically balanced room. Then If I play a bright room or a dark room he has the range to dial up what he needs.

After that I ignore my tone and simply acclimate to what I'm hearing. I know that mics getting great tone needed and the audience is hearing what's its supposed to. I don't have to jump through hoops and double as sound man on stage to nail every tone possible. It requires too much work and you loose focus on entertaining an audience.

• Members

Not that my hands are busy or something (I'm mediocre enough to play only simple parts), but my male brain ain't wired to turn that volume pot at he same time as strumming or plucking. So, when the music calls for it, I use the pedal swell.

• Members

I use both. The knob is for setting the drive level and getting the tone I want. The pedal is for doing dynamic changes, like volume swells. I know Eddie made it look easy, but my pinky just doesn't make it swell and nicely as my foot can.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived