Semi Hollow in White w/ Bigsby

johnbarnesiii

• Members

Hello I'm looking for a semi hollow body electric in white finish with silver/chrome accents, with Bigsby tremolo. I'm looking for something very similar in look and price to the Gretsch G5120, but as a semi not full hollow (I'm doing mostly heavy rock with distortion).

Price range $500 or less and used is totally fine. What would you guys recommend?

• Members

Thanks daddymack! Yes the Wildkat Royale is very close. The gold accents are nice but I was liking silver as in the Gretsch. Also the body is smaller than the Gretsch, does this lend to a less warm, more top end tone? Thanks!

Epiphone Wildkat Royale...

• Moderators

I also agree on the Streamliner Centerblock Junior, but I have not seen one in white. I think they only come in 3 finishes, and white is not one of them.

As to the sound of the WildKat, the stock P90s are not going to give you a great 'hard rock' sound on their own, but a good dirt pedal will get you there. I don't think once you turn it up you will notice anything different between it and the Streamliner, except the P90 sound vs the Gretsch Broad'Tron humbuckers.

Other possibilities would be the Dean Palomino, or the Cort Sunset [although these are relatively new, used may be scarce] but again, I've never seen a white finish.

Another option: Xavier from Guitar Fetish:http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-950-Hollowbody-GFS-Retrotrons-Maple-Construction-Arctic-WhiteChrome_p_8725.html

or Rondo Music' Douglas line: http://www.rondomusic.com/wno630wt1.html

For these prices, you have enough left over to add a Bigsby!

or a custom Agile from Rondo: http://www.rondomusic.com/ascustomjan2016.html

• Members

Thanks guys, I'll look into those models. My heart is set on white finish with silver hardware, wish I wasn't such a visual person but alas I am :)

If I got the G5120 and went the foam method for feedback control would that be a solution to be able to play loud distorted rock with it? I'm thinking Billy Duffy and Jack White (to name a few) have used hollows for heavy distorted rock, so just curious.

• Members

I love this Ibanez Artcore AF75TDGIV, but alas it's a full Hollowbody. I think hollowbody Artcores can handle hard rock,

thohttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-artcore-series-af75tdgiv-hollowbody-electric-guitar?source=3WWRWXGB&gclid=CL7VrYfS2dQCFdC4wAodmHUDqQ&kwid=46657545746x42814113081x151905500

DVAHChe.jpg

• Moderators
Thanks guys, I'll look into those models. My heart is set on white finish with silver hardware, wish I wasn't such a visual person but alas I am :)

If I got the G5120 and went the foam method for feedback control would that be a solution to be able to play loud distorted rock with it? I'm thinking Billy Duffy and Jack White (to name a few) have used hollows for heavy distorted rock, so just curious.

the foam does work, I know many players who foam their full hollowbody's f-holes. The denser the foam, the better the isolation, too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Hello I'm looking for a semi hollow body electric in white finish with silver/chrome accents, with Bigsby tremolo. I'm looking for something very similar in look and price to the Gretsch G5120, but as a semi not full hollow (I'm doing mostly heavy rock with distortion).

Price range $500 or less and used is totally fine. What would you guys recommend?

It blows my mind that you can buy any semi hollow for 500 bucks. I have built a couple and my bill of materials for parts runs twice that - a Bigsby B7 is $165 alone.

The whole idea of a partially hollow body is to add some complexity and color to the sound and yes it will feed back. BB's Lucilles don't have the f-holes of a standard 335 partially to avoid that problem.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with

. Also the body is smaller than the Gretsch, does this lend to a less warm, more top end tone? Thanks!

In my experience, smaller bodies tend to be slightly less feedback prone than larger semi-hollow (or full hollow) body designs, all other things being equal.

If you're playing hard rock, that could be a significant consideration.

Archived