GFS Nashville Minitron pickups

Phil O'Keefe

After hearing people talk about GFS pickups here for years, I decided to give a set a try and loaded a pair of GFS Minitron Nashville humbuckers into my Gretsch Pro Jet. They're the first time I've ever used - or even heard - GFS pickups in person.

neck-and-bridge1-b97cdef1.jpg

What do I think? :confused2:

You'll have to read the review to find out... :idea::)

If you have any comments or questions about the pickups or the review, feel free to post them here. :wave:

• Members

I have the standard size Nashville hots in my 65 Gretsch Viking. (It was already stupidly modified for hums before I got her.) I think Phil's review is spot on. They really do emulate that "great Gretsch sound", but have their own unique tone. Slightly less mud in the neck, a little boost in the mids, and a nice biting treble. My only complaint is a slight difference in sizing. They aren't quite the same size as advertised. Either a bit bigger or smaller, they aren't "direct" replacements. But the quality is there.

• Moderators

I will second the GFS Nashville Retrotron as being a danged good substitute for Gretsch Filter'trons...not as chimey or deep as the TV Jones versions, but at about 1/6 the cost...worth every penny. I have a set in my pseudo-Gretsch custom made hollowbody, and they have surprised a few 'Gretsch snobs' I know. I would expect the Minitrons to perform equally as well.

I have a set of Filter'trons waiting to go in that guitar, but I can't seem to bring myself to make the swap...[custom made mounting rings and some other finagling required].

• Members

I've been long tempted to get some GFS Retrotrons. Lately I've been wondering if the best combo would be a Nashville in the neck for a sweeter trebley tone and a Liverpool in the bridge for a bit more warmth. Any thoughts? I have a few guitars that could possibly benefit from the Retrotrons but my "first up" would be an Epiphone Wishire Pro, which currently sports some rather dull sounding Epi HBs, but is set up for coil split.

I've been long tempted to get some GFS Retrotrons. Lately I've been wondering if the best combo would be a Nashville in the neck for a sweeter trebley tone and a Liverpool in the bridge for a bit more warmth. Any thoughts?

I can't comment on the Liverpools since I've only heard clips and haven't tried them directly, but from what I have heard, and based on what I know of the Nashvilles I'd say you've described their relative qualities pretty well. The Nashville in the neck really is rather "sweet" and it has good definition - it isn't muddy at all. But it's that brashness from the treble pickup that I think I like the best about them.

It would be interesting to compare a bridge Liverpool and Nashville. If the Liverpool keeps enough of the treble and breaks up with a bit more complexity, that might be really cool. But I really like the brightness of the Nashville in the bridge and would hate to lose that.

I have a few guitars that could possibly benefit from the Retrotrons but my "first up" would be an Epiphone Wishire Pro, which currently sports some rather dull sounding Epi HBs, but is set up for coil split.

Hmmm.... that would be interesting; I wonder how they'd sound in a fully solid-bodied guitar? The Pro Jet looks (and weighs) like a solidbody, but under the top it is Swiss cheese'd. :lol:

I didn't change the wiring on the Pro Jet to add coil tap switches to the pots or anything, but it's nice that the Nashville Minitrons can be wired that way if you want / need to.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do decide to install a set. :snax::wave:

• Members

Indeed, you make a good point about the solid slab body. Unlike the "wood doesn't affect tone faction" I'm very aware of the coupling effect of guitar to pickups. A good recent example of that was slapping a set of Gibson Burstbucker Pros into an Epi G-400 Deluxe with Maestro trem. I'd seen Gibson use the BB Pro on a few SG style guitars (like on a later version of the Diablo) but what I found was that BB Pros belong on more deeper resonant toned LPs. So I ended up with a guitar with tons of presence, which might be great "in the mix" of a band, but is a bit top sounding at home.

But back to the Wilshire, indeed, the slab body is another reason why I think I might be happier with the Alnico Liverpool in the bridge position. But I'd bet the Nashville might work well enough in the neck. Indeed, those GFS Retrotrons might not make a silk purse out of my little pig's ear, but I'm hoping I can get it closer to the sound of a Gretsch Corvette. Must admit, about 50% of my p'up mods have been "fail". ;^)

• Members

I know. They don't sell directly to the public, they're a wholesaler. You find Ebay loaded with small sellers selling them. The site does have a brochure that gives you the specs on they're pickups last time I checked.

• Members

I have two sets of the Artec Mini Filteron pickups which have full sized pickup rings. Had to pot them in beeswax because they were microphonic. They are pretty awful sounding. Wrapped too hot so they lack high end. I have a set in my Plexiglas V. Rarely use that guitar however. I'm likely going to try something else out in that guitar.

If you try out the Liverpool's, I suggest you go with the vintage wind. I've tried dozens of sets of the Artec pickups and the only ones that have a normal frequency responses. Anything hotter just turns to mud. Artec isn't an advanced pickup builder. They use the same magnet slugs on everything and tweak coil winds only, not the magnet strengths so they are limited to how many turns they can add before the pups headroom disappears.

Archived