No announcement yet.

GFS Nashville Minitron pickups

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFS Nashville Minitron pickups

After hearing people talk about GFS pickups here for years, I decided to give a set a try and loaded a pair of GFS Minitron Nashville humbuckers into my Gretsch Pro Jet. They're the first time I've ever used - or even heard - GFS pickups in person.

What do I think?

You'll have to read the review to find out...

If you have any comments or questions about the pickups or the review, feel free to post them here.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I have the standard size Nashville hots in my 65 Gretsch Viking. (It was already stupidly modified for hums before I got her.) I think Phil's review is spot on. They really do emulate that "great Gretsch sound", but have their own unique tone. Slightly less mud in the neck, a little boost in the mids, and a nice biting treble. My only complaint is a slight difference in sizing. They aren't quite the same size as advertised. Either a bit bigger or smaller, they aren't "direct" replacements. But the quality is there.
    Last edited by badpenguin; 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM.
    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

I will second the GFS Nashville Retrotron as being a danged good substitute for Gretsch Filter'trons...not as chimey or deep as the TV Jones versions, but at about 1/6 the cost...worth every penny. I have a set in my pseudo-Gretsch custom made hollowbody, and they have surprised a few 'Gretsch snobs' I know. I would expect the Minitrons to perform equally as well.
      I have a set of Filter'trons waiting to go in that guitar, but I can't seem to bring myself to make the swap...[custom made mounting rings and some other finagling required].
      Last edited by daddymack; 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I've put GFS pickups in two guitars so far both a win.
        "These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

Comment

Note: GFS in only a vendor, they don't make the pickups - Artec makes them and sells the same pickups to a number of on line vendors. http://artecsound.com/pickups/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
            Note: GFS in only a vendor, they don't make the pickups - Artec makes them and sells the same pickups to a number of on line vendors. http://artecsound.com/pickups/index.html
            I'm not trying to be a jerk, but IMHO their website SUX! It's hard to navigate and get to what you're looking for.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

I've been long tempted to get some GFS Retrotrons. Lately I've been wondering if the best combo would be a Nashville in the neck for a sweeter trebley tone and a Liverpool in the bridge for a bit more warmth. Any thoughts? I have a few guitars that could possibly benefit from the Retrotrons but my "first up" would be an Epiphone Wishire Pro, which currently sports some rather dull sounding Epi HBs, but is set up for coil split.
              A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by GAS Man View Post
                I've been long tempted to get some GFS Retrotrons. Lately I've been wondering if the best combo would be a Nashville in the neck for a sweeter trebley tone and a Liverpool in the bridge for a bit more warmth. Any thoughts?
                I can't comment on the Liverpools since I've only heard clips and haven't tried them directly, but from what I have heard, and based on what I know of the Nashvilles I'd say you've described their relative qualities pretty well. The Nashville in the neck really is rather "sweet" and it has good definition - it isn't muddy at all. But it's that brashness from the treble pickup that I think I like the best about them.

It would be interesting to compare a bridge Liverpool and Nashville. If the Liverpool keeps enough of the treble and breaks up with a bit more complexity, that might be really cool. But I really like the brightness of the Nashville in the bridge and would hate to lose that.

I have a few guitars that could possibly benefit from the Retrotrons but my "first up" would be an Epiphone Wishire Pro, which currently sports some rather dull sounding Epi HBs, but is set up for coil split.
                Hmmm.... that would be interesting; I wonder how they'd sound in a fully solid-bodied guitar? The Pro Jet looks (and weighs) like a solidbody, but under the top it is Swiss cheese'd.

I didn't change the wiring on the Pro Jet to add coil tap switches to the pots or anything, but it's nice that the Nashville Minitrons can be wired that way if you want / need to.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do decide to install a set.

- George Carlin

Comment

I'm tempted. I've been wanting to stick some TV Jones filtertrons in my semi hollow but could never justify the price. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X