Two tone car colors that would work great on guitars

Chordite

• Members

Looking through some custom Fords I thought wouldn't some of these 2 tone color schemes look great on guitars?

Here's a couple. First is more Les Paul the Second more Surfer Strat.

Have a look round see what you can find

62025_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Credit; Barrett Jackson.com

1938-ford-tudor-sedan-iii-dave-koontz.jpg

Credit: Dave Koontz

• Members

My dad drove something like this in the summer, up in to the mid 80's. 56 Ford Fairlane. He owned if for probably 25 years.He got the car from some guy that lived in for California, back in the 60's.

[video=youtube;KF0gsbQKhD8]

ford-00337.jpg

5766939-1956-ford-fairlane-thumb-c.jpg

When I ordered this I wanted to keep the "440" hot rod theme going so the color is one of the two blue options for the 1972 Dodge Charger. The lighting kinda ruins the effect in the top picture but we actually had the car paint for it.

fetch?filedataid=125180

fetch?filedataid=125182

fetch?filedataid=125181

• Members
Black and gold is always cool but for something different how about teal and gold? Unfortunately' date=' I can't find a pic of a car with that color combination.[/quote']

Nor me but while looking I found this. Blue and green certainly working here

IMG_2711.jpg?w=1170

• Members
Nor me but while looking I found this. Blue and green certainly working here

IMG_2711.jpg?w=1170

True. Blue and green usually combine well depending on the specific shades. I changed the search to "green and gold car" and found a couple of possibilities:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32000571[/ATTACH]

fetch?filedataid=125191

• Members

Being that I'm a wood slut and don't like painted guitars, I'll still play along. In 1969 when I graduated from college I was racing power boats (which I built out of spruce and mahogany....) and I needed a tow car for my trailer. What better than an new Z-28 Camero, mine was metallic green and white and the TransAm motor had enough poop to nicely pull the boats. I even painted the hydroplanes green and white to match the car.

1969-chevrolet-camaro-z28-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

Imagine this is dark green and white against the mahogany

Hydro1_zpsolij3akd.jpg

Ah, yes, those were the days. So I guess that if I ever wanted to paint a guitar to match a car, that would be it

• Members

I know this doesn't have much to do with electric guitars, but building a racing boat really isn't all that different than building an acoustic. A frame of spruce supports a light weight mahogany shell - a fine line between strength and performance. Btw, thats the Z car in the background (and my daughter at about 4

Hydro2_zps4q5vfonq.jpg

• Members

Skinny tires for drag racing? And kindly explain the Trans Am motor. (?)

Actually those were pretty wide tires for the day. Most cars had 78 aspect ratio tires (ratio of height to width), those were 70 percent. Tires today are 50 or 60 percent. Tires were a big limit in those days - they were bias belted (as opposed to radial) and in order to get any stickyness they had very poor life. However those were the best we could do.

The TransAm series was a series of road races for American built "sporty" cars, based on the Mustang, Camero, Firebird, Javeline, Barracuda - the so called "pony cars". Motors were limited to 5 liters (302 cubic inches) which was a mid size back then (the drag cars were mostly 7 liters (427 cubic inches). However they were finely tuned at the factory, with hop up goodies like a very large (single) carburator, solid lifters, high compression ratio - they were rated tongue in cheek at 290 hp (which was a way to get around an insurance limit) but produced far more. In the early days of TransAm if you ordered the z28 option from Chevy you would get a radio and heater (these were, after all, supposed to be street cars) but they would be in the trunk - racers were just going to take them out anyway.

Those were wild days - gasoline and cigarettes and guitars were cheap - in retrospect I'm glad I survived and I'm glad they are over. However, I've gotta admit the some fun was had

• Members

My 2nd to last NGD was a MF SDOTD on this "Belair Green" G&L ASAT Special". My band mates were indeed groovin on this retro classic color when I showed up for a jam night.

Not my picture, but this is what they look like:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15300&g2_serialNumber=3

But I think that Green and White combo fits the bill rather nicely.

gallery_60334_7_1431480038_15976.jpg

• Members

Funny, just yesterday I was looking at that model Duesenberg guitar wondering which color I want. Eventually I will get one, haven't decided for sure which color yet, but indeed, that red and black is striking. When I've gone to car museums, like the one at The Imperial Palace in Las Vegas NV, the Duesenberg cars always blow me away. You had to be uber rich to afford one, even back in the day. But they are indeed beautiful hand built cars that were like the jet airplanes of their day. Either that, or a Stutz Bearcat the decade before, seemed to be the choice of the Silver Screen's more dashing personas. But I remember reading where even the full annual salary of a Doctor wouldn't even come close to the price tag of a Duesenberg. I guess you'd have to compare them to a Bugatti Veyron of today.

So indeed, a "guitar Duesenberg" will be the closest I'll come, but I need to thin the herd first. :-O

Archived