Glenn and Johnny

AP_Lives

• Members

This forum will crap all over anything that isn't Hendrix or SRV, it seems.

I don't generally seek out Country shred, but it was good. Much better than I can play, for sure, and Country is a large part of my style since I hybrid pick. I'm just not into all the posing. I get that you need a gimmick to succeed in this business, but dancing in front of a car with that haircut and tattoos was laughable.

Good playing; cheesy video.

• Members

Gotta disagree with ya Buck.

I personally can't stomach Hendrix, and respect SRV, without ever wanting to listen to anymore of his overplayed stuff.

This stuff, was laughable in every way possible. Even Granny from Hee Haw, would be smirking at it.

• Members

I dig Johnny Hiland and bought his first cd with Steve Vai's label Favored Nations in 2004. It's good. It's really good, but it get's repetitive and he hasn't broken out of or advanced from that style. The video above is more of the same. Someone else chicken pick'in. Not making it a competition, but someone who's taken chicken pick'in to another level is John 5. Even Zakk Wylde kicks ass at it both with less country-ness and that's more of what I like. Less country, more metal.

• Members
Gotta disagree with ya Buck.

I personally can't stomach Hendrix, and respect SRV, without ever wanting to listen to anymore of his overplayed stuff.

This stuff, was laughable in every way possible. Even Granny from Hee Haw, would be smirking at it.

I was making a generalized statement about close-mindedness around here.

The playing was good for me, and the presentation was cheesy. It didn't inspire me, but it didn't make me ill either.

• Members

I waxed lyrical on the Jess Lewis video and also the Japanese band. (Posts were wiped though) so ..

However I would say that putting your own stuff up here is like putting your ego in a vise. I've seen so many crushed here or completely ignored, which might even be worse! that I'll probably never do it, then again....

• Members

I agree. I don't see the reason for the negativity on this thread. While the playing may not be something that hasn't already been done as well or better by the likes of Albert Lee, Kenny Vaughan, or Brad Paisley, it's still a reminder of a style that's worth the effort to attempt if not master. I was in a local band that focused too much on lame cover tunes (worn out top 40 crap from the 70s and 80s - some of which I enjoyed - some of which I loathed - and they would look at me like I had two heads if I tried to squeeze in something a bit less mainstream - like Drive By Truckers, The Pixies, The Cranberries, etc.) but the leader in our band is a veteran performing touring keyboard player and he has a good sense of "what gets people out on the dance floor". And certainly the chicken pickin genre works well and has good crossover with crowds. If I could play those licks, I'd be stoked. And while that style may indeed sound like chicken pickin, at least it doesn't sound like strangling a cat. I'm a rock lover, but gotta appreciate all styles, otherwise we'd all be glued to Segovia.

Archived